Home Main Category Clubhouse

Alec Baldwin kills his Director of Photography on the set of his new movie

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,513 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    The only way I see the armorer being at fault is if she put the gun in the hands of a child or an idiot............wait....hmmmm...
    As sad as this is…. That was funny!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,746 Senior Member
    I still want to know how a real live round made it's way into the gun. Blank round material doesn't travel much distance and pass through people, so were did the real round come from?
    I read in some article that the armorer did take some of the cast and crew off-site to fire live ammo. They did this to show them (the actors) the difference between real rounds and blank rounds. The blanks weren't going to generate noticeable recoil so the actors would have to fake it.
    So real rounds were there at the range, but how the hell did they make it back to the set? Don't these people know they're essential working with children (non gun folk).

I was listening to another Hollywood armorer saying the chain of custody for firearms goes from the Amorer straight to the Actor, the first AD should've had nothing to do with it, but due to COVID restrictions that didn't happen. Instead, the Prop pistols were laid out on a table with, apparently, no one watching them and the AD just grabbed one and called out Cold Gun when he handed it to Baldwin.

I know everyone on this forum would know immediately if the revolver was loaded just by glancing at it sideways but we're talking about actors here.
    I predict in the near future, Hollywood will be going all in on plastic. Plastic guns and CGI, they'll be known as the Rubber Gun squad. No more trusting non gun folk with real guns.
    The more I hear about this story the scarier it gets.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,476 Senior Member
    edited October 2021 #65
    There is a video out there when Clint Eastwood was handed a single action revolver. The very first thing he did was put his wine glass down and check its status! Don’t tell me  actors cant follow normal protocols. 

AAAAAAND IT BEGINS. 
    An article from NBC, home of 30 rock and other Alec Baldwin favorites, is now adding him to the list of victims……
    yes  his negligence got someone killed, he will have to LIVE with it, Halyna can’t! 

Oct. 27, 2021, 4:32 AM EDT / Updated Oct. 27, 2021, 10:19 AM EDT
    By F. Diane Barth, psychotherapist

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed and director Joel Souza wounded after the actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on the set of the movie “Rust” on Thursday. But there was a third victim in the incident: Baldwin himself. How does a person who has caused a death or injury come to grips with what they did, however inadvertently? How do they cope with the horror, guilt, shame and overwhelming pain they feel? How do they handle their own trauma?

Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 447 Member
    Elk creek said:
    There is a video out there when Clint Eastwood was handed a single action revolver. The very first thing he did was put his wine glass down and check its status! Don’t tell me  actors cant follow normal protocols. 

AAAAAAND IT BEGINS. 
    An article from NBC, home of 30 rock and other Alec Baldwin favorites, is now adding him to the list of victims……
    yes  his negligence got someone killed, he will have to LIVE with it, Halyna can’t! 

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed and director Joel Souza wounded after the actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on the set of the movie “Rust” on Thursday. But there was a third victim in the incident: Baldwin himself. How does a person who has caused a death or injury come to grips with what they did, however inadvertently? How do they cope with the horror, guilt, shame and overwhelming pain they feel? How do they handle their own trauma?

Like any other Hardworking Joe who pulls a stunt like this ? : Say Hi to Bubba for the next 15 years and pick up the soap
    Elk creek said:

AAAAAAND IT BEGINS. 

Like any other Hardworking Joe who pulls a stunt like this ? : Say Hi to Bubba for the next 15 years and pick up the soap
    FNA right! 
    https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/questions-swirl-alec-baldwin-shooting-case-ahead-sheriffs-update-2021-10-27/

Oops, they recovered a lead bullet from a 45 colt. Live ammo in an unchecked gun……. 

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,732 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/questions-swirl-alec-baldwin-shooting-case-ahead-sheriffs-update-2021-10-27/

Oops, they recovered a lead bullet from a 45 colt. Live ammo in an unchecked gun……. 

I see the part of the story of Baldwin saying, "I will shoot you then" is getting left out now.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Watched the Sherriff’s update today.  He danced all over the fact that it was live ammo because they can’t say that legally nail the FBI lab issues a report, but he pretty much said so.  He also said they recovered about 500 rounds from the set including live ammo and blanks plus 3 handguns.  

He said it was a fully operational Pietta Revolver that was shot.  There was also another period gun altered so it could only shoot blanks and a third gun that was solid plastic, no mechanical parts.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,378 Senior Member
    Does a blank firing revolver weigh the same as a real one of the same model? I other words, does it feel the same in your hand?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Does a blank firing revolver weigh the same as a real one of the same model? I other words, does it feel the same in your hand?
    From the one example I saw they just weld a spot inside the chamber of a real gun so only the short blank cartridges can be chambered.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    OK, thanks.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,683 Senior Member

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,341 Senior Member

We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 

For the win!!!! 🤣
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Maybe it's just because he's a Hollywood actor wanting attention. But his behavior in the aftermath looks suspicious to me.
    Maybe it's just because he's a Hollywood actor wanting attention. But his behavior in the aftermath looks suspicious to me.
    I am sure he is crapping his pants waiting to see if he gets charged with manslaughter, I would be.
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I am sure he is crapping his pants waiting to see if he gets charged with manslaughter, I would be.
    I read an article where his wife is trying to keep him from getting PTSD….. if he’s human he probably will, if he is a sociopath prolly not… 

this sort of thing hits people different, but he lives in land of make believe….
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,644 Senior Member

Suspicious in what way?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,163 Senior Member
    Gene L said:

Suspicious in what way?
    For one thing, the first words out of his mouth after the shooting were to find somebody to blame other than himself...that says something...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    CHIRO1989 said:
    One can only hope...
    Gene L said:

Suspicious in what way?
    I'm not sure I can put my finger on it exactly. His being anxious to speak, contrary to legal advice. His manorism and posture well speaking. It seemed contrived. More of a feeling on my part than anything concrete. Could be the guy's just weird. I wasn't ready to join the pitch fork mob, still not really there. But that TV interview this weekend was odd at best.
    Working closely with a brilliant local Criminal Defense attorney is quite the education.  He says most people bury themselves ignoring their lawyers “advice” to just shut the F up!!  He told me that human nature just wants to tell the whole world their story and why they were right and/or blameless for what they did.  Arrogant humans are the worst, because they are convinced they are smarter and know better than their attorney.

Reality is that your perspective, the truth and the law are roads that hardly ever intersect…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    I'm sure he's traumatized by what happened.  I saw the interview, which told me nothing.  He certainly won't do time behind this, he may not even be charged.  He should never have done the interview, even though it told us nothing.  His desire to address the issue overcame apparently his lawyer's advice of ****...which lawyers always advise, even when telling the truth will set you free...not according to lawyers, of course. 

As a guy who's had a couple of Negligent Discharges, I can understand his desire to discuss the situation.  He's trying to fade heat, which I also understand.  The idea that this was anything but an unfortunate and negligent accident is not supported by the facts.
    I see no mens rea here.  Given your description, especially if it was the third party's responsibility to ensure the gun wasn't loaded, I think it would be viewed as an accident.  Missing in your description is the fact that both the gun handler and the shooter are performing an act that's SOP for the situation and one they've presumably done before without harm.

After investigation charges could be pursued, but without mens rea, it's certainly not murder.  Manslaughter under the legal definition of manslaughter, doing something legal but in a careless or negligent way,  possibly, but I don't know who would get charged. Possibly both, maybe not anyone...it's all in the details.
    Yep...you can tapdance all around it...but Baldwin picked up a weapon,...pointed it at another human being pulled the trigger...killing one person and wounding another...and the story ends....right....there...

Gene...were any of those negligent discharges aimed at someone and proceeded with "Maybe I'll just shoot you...?
    Negligent Accident my ass...
    edited November 2021 #89
    No, but I'm not paid to shoot blanks at a camera.  The belief that somehow this was a deliberate act of malice is absurd.  Too much Columbo.

Is it confirmed that Baldwin said, "Maybe I'll shoot you." 
    My suspicions are for sure influenced by synicism and prejudice. I read a lot of crime/fiction.

For sure that live ammo got put in that gun by human hands. The details of that need examination.
    edited November 2021 #91
    I dislike Baldwin, too. Not intensely, but about like I dislike Chris Coumo. I try to see past my prejudice when it comes to these questions.  I feel like Marshal Dillon standing up to the lynch mob here.

Baldwin wasn't arrested on the spot for sound legal reasons.  He MAY be charged with negligent homicide.  Someone seems like should be charged but it's up to the DA as to who is charged.