Home Main Category Hunting

.223 Rem & 64gr Speer Gold Dot -Whitetail

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,568 Senior Member
Target of opportunity presented itself yesterday. This tall spike was on the hit list. Was hoping to get him with a handgun, but a bird in the hand……
He came off a hill while I was out and about in the Kubota. Had my Ruger American Ranch Rifle with me. Aimed in and waited for a broadside shot without a leg in the way. Had to track him in the scope for a bit and then he stopped to take a leak. 
So, I sent a .223 Remington 64gr Speer Gold Dot across 77 yards and into his chest. He hunched up and ran to his right. No physical indication of where I’d hit him at first. Then, he started to stumble a little after about 40-50 yards. Then, he stopped and did the wide leg stance for a second, and fell over. On the ground, he flopped around a few seconds. Lifting his head and trying to get up, he finally succumbed to the shot. 
Curious as to whether he left a blood trail, I went to the site of the shot. Easy to find………he left a puddle. 

But, as usual when using a .223 Rem and a bonded bullet, no blood. I walked the route he took and never did find any visible blood. I didn’t look very hard as I knew where he was. I was just curious. Here might have been a few drops, but he’d have been hard to track in thick brush. Unless he left high sign. 

1.5 year old spike with unusually long spikes. 

I really do like that rifle. Very handy and practical. I carry one Mag in the gun and one in the cheek-rest pocket. 
64gr Speer
55gr Dogtown
The have the relative same POA other than the Varmint round striking 1” high at 100 yards. Which is perfect. So, whatever the task, small or medium game, it’s ready. 

The 64gr Gold Dot continues to perform and penetrate. 

Loaded him up, took him to the barn and gutted him. I had more chores to finish. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,240 Senior Member
    That worked well...
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,291 Senior Member
    Well, that worked, only 45 more to go :D
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,572 Senior Member
    Nice! Those spikes would made a nice knife handle.
    Looks like a complete pass through no?
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,085 Senior Member
    We call those tall spikes “knitting needles”

nice hunt and great report.  Been thinking of using my Mossberg MVP Patrol (same idea as the Ranch) for deer. Will have to see how that bullet performs in it
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,531 Senior Member
    Great shot!
    Are you going to keep running those bullets in that rifle?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,568 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Did the job. I would still consider it a specialty tool for medium game hunting, though. Bullet selection and shot placement are paramount. The cartridge doesn’t suffer fools for easy one shot recovery of game. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,291 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Did the job. I would still consider it a specialty tool for medium game hunting, though. Bullet selection and shot placement are paramount. The cartridge doesn’t suffer fools for easy one shot recovery of game. 
    Yeah, I found out the hard way with son #4 last year, we were using the Hornady Superperformance 75 gr. and the doe dropped at the shot but took off seemingly unfazed when we walked up on it, he is shooting a .270 this year
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Actually, we’ve shot 7 bucks so far. 
    sakodude said:
    Kinda thin. 
    Yeah. I’ll get the autopsy up this evening. 
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Yeah, I found out the hard way with son #4 last year, we were using the Hornady Superperformance 75 gr. and the doe dropped at the shot but took off seemingly unfazed when we walked up on it, he is shooting a .270 this year
    Sorry that happened. Without the weight and speed, you gotta put the right bullet just right. 
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    To a degree, I have the same impression with the .243.  You better get it perfect or the tracking can be “challenging”.  That’s why I moved my daughter up to a 7mm-08 swiftly.  Never had a problem with her, but I also didn’t want one.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Great shot!
    Yeah. It likes them and as I said, with the dual mags…..it’s a multi purpose rifle. 
    Zee said:
    Yeah. I’ll get the autopsy up this evening. 
    Outstanding!  Thank you 👍
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    edited October 2021 #17
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    To a degree, I have the same impression with the .243.  You better get it perfect or the tracking can be “challenging”.  That’s why I moved my daughter up to a 7mm-08 swiftly.  Never had a problem with her, but I also didn’t want one.
    With the heavy for caliber bullets, not really an issue on medium game with the .243 Win. A softer bullet is your friend and broadside spells success. Actually does quite a bit of damage. 
    My boy has shot probably 10-12 deer with it. 
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,531 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Great shot!
    Yeah. It likes them and as I said, with the dual mags…..it’s a multi purpose rifle. 

Roger that...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited October 2021 #19
    Zee said:
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    With the heavy for caliber bullets, not really an issue on medium game with the .243 Win. A softer bullet is your friend and broadside spells success. Actually does quite a bit of damage. 
    👍👍

Which bullets do you favor?  My experience has been strictly with Remington CoreLok ammo and the wound channels seemed pencil thin with a swift pass through on low chest shots.  Never recovered on so I have NO idea of expansion, if any.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,572 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    sakodude said:
    Kinda thin. 
    You just scale the knife to the handle size. These little guys are fun to make.

Zee said:
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    👍👍

Which bullets do you favor?  My experience has been strictly with Remington CoreLok ammo and the wound channels seemed pencil thin with a swift pass through on low chest shots.  Never recovered on so I have NO idea of expansion, if any.
    Linefinder like the 95gr Ballistic Tip. I like the 105gr A-Max. 
    sakodude said:
    Zee said:
    sakodude said:
    Kinda thin. 
    You just scale the knife to the handle size. These little guys are fun to make.

The bases of these are thinner than that I think. Or maybe not. 
    The top one………maybe. 

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,698 Senior Member
    I found a shed like those a couple of years ago. Mine maybe a little bit thicker. I’ve kept it thinking it might make a good handle for a file. 
    I was patient as I could be. Let him get as far away from the brushy hill as possible before I shot. Because I knew he’d likely run and wouldn’t leave blood. That had been my experience in the past and it proved correct again. I wanted a heart shot this time just for ballistic research purposes. I’ve killed several with head, neck, or shoulder/spine shots to drop or anchor them. But, I wanted to have a thoracic cavity shot to show you guys. 
    Entrance

Exit

Pretty tough little bullet!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    95 grain NBT from a .243 Win bangs up a whitetail like nothing else I've ever seen.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    edited October 2021 #28
    Which whitetail is important.  Not all whitetail deer are created equal.  

I’ve only used the .243 on BIG Northeast deer where even our mature does were routinely over 190 lbs and FAT because of food plots and local farm browse.  Over the years I’ve noticed that thick subcutaneous fat layers make a difference in blood trails.  Thick fat plugs up small holes really well.

My 7mm hit deer were all DRTs or traveled 10 yards at the most.  The .243 hit with the Remington CoreLok seemed to “feel” the hits less, travel more and give me meager blood trails.  

That’s why I trained my daughter to fire center fire rifles with a .243 but for her hunting rifle I bought her a 7mm-08, a proven killer for me.  

Her first deer was a shot at maybe 75 yards where the entry was on the left front side just under the neck and went out right around the low back ribs on the right.  That deer did a face plant and never moved.

On one side, I think this might be different if you’re dealing with the smaller leaner southern deer.  But I don’t think I’d be bringing my .243 to hunt a monster Canadian bruiser.

I’m sure in NC I’ll be fine but I will switch my ammo to a better bullet than the Remington.

I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Just a thought, regardless of deer weight difference and a few thou of bullet diameter... A Nosler Ballistic Tip and a Rem Corelock are worlds apart upon impact. A Corelock does its best to keep going, whereas an NBT goes nuts upon entrance. Land it in the lung cavity and you're pretty much done right there.
    N454casull
    But, as I've often opined, bullet construction properly matched to the game trumps chambering every time. I have Swift A-Frames and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws loaded up and ready to go. But there's nothing here worth shooting them at.
    N454casull
    Just a thought, regardless of deer weight difference and a few thou of bullet diameter... A Nosler Ballistic Tip and a Rem Corelock are worlds apart upon impact. A Corelock does its best to keep going, whereas an NBT goes nuts upon entrance. Land it in the lung cavity and you're pretty much done right there.
    I agree 100%
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬