Home Main Category General Firearms

Thanks Wambli....

mitdr774mitdr774 MemberPosts: 1,660 Senior Member
Based on Wambli's recent thread and some conversation, he has enabled.  Not that it was going to take much anyways since I have been debating this purchase for a few month.

This is a very lightweight rifle.  I still need to get a set of bases and rings for it but I think the Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 sitting on the shelf found a home.  Based on what my little .458 did to it's typical Leupold bases, I'm thinking a Weaver style base is in order for this rifle.

Already started looking at bullet options and maximum length so I can compare to the load manuals.  This will be rifle number 3 that I can't load to the book OAL with the 100gr Partition (neither 6.5 Grendel will allow for book OAL).  The Nosler ABLR bullets are limited by the magazine by about 0.030".

The 6.5mm family (129gr).

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,944 Senior Member
    What chambering?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Talley Rings. 
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    6.5 Creedmoor.  While I doubt it will do anything better than my M98 6.5x55 can do, it is something to play with.  I am already set up for the 6.5CM since my wife's step brother has a M70 chambered for it and I am going to help him with a load work up.  He is using the 'get on paper' loads I gave him since they work okay for him and we ran out of time.

I have Talley rings on my CZ .22 lr (standard rifle scope on it) and have been looking that way for an option.  My M98 6.5x55 has a set of Talley rings on machined in place bases if I recall correctly as well.  After deer season I will probably look at ordering a set.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 2,253 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    6.5 Creedmoor.  While I doubt it will do anything better than my M98 6.5x55 can do, it is something to play with.  I am already set up for the 6.5CM since my wife's step brother has a M70 chambered for it and I am going to help him with a load work up.  He is using the 'get on paper' loads I gave him since they work okay for him and we ran out of time.

I have Talley rings on my CZ .22 lr (standard rifle scope on it) and have been looking that way for an option.  My M98 6.5x55 has a set of Talley rings on machined in place bases if I recall correctly as well.  After deer season I will probably look at ordering a set.
    The Talleys Zee is referring to are the one piece base/ring aluminum.  They are really nice and they weigh ounces so will add almost no extra weight to the Hunter.  They have become my go-to rings for all guns wether I want light weight or not.  But in a gun like this one it makes no sense to get steel rings cause they kind of defeat the purpose.

Aaaaaaaaand you’re welcome 😎
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    edited November 2021 #6
    Full disclosure, I’ve broken a set. On my partners (work not sexual orientation) .30-06 that I was handloading for. 
    Recoil broke the top cap screws on the front ring. 
    I don't anticipate heavy recoil, so I don't think I will have to worry about that same issue.  I could be wrong though.

The front ring and base on my little .458 ended up with a loose fit on the 1/4 turn dovetail.  All I can think of is the recoil was too much.  It now has a set of the Leupold weaver style bases and rings on it.

I think this will be a fun little project.
    Yeah but you break hammers…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    What's really funny here is that load development started before the rifle even had a sight.
     :) 
    That happens some times..
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,921 Senior Member
    Nice score! That Redfield Revolution is a great choice, those scopes really punch above their weight class. Too bad Leupold killed the line. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,060 Senior Member
    Crazy light carbine like that cries out for the Leupold 2.5-8x36, but I see the attraction for the boosted magnification for the round.

It's not a terribly loud whisper, but "the voices" are still trying to tell me that a 6.5x57 AI would be a really good idea. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said:
    Crazy light carbine like that cries out for the Leupold 2.5-8x36, but I see the attraction for the boosted magnification for the round.

It's not a terribly loud whisper, but "the voices" are still trying to tell me that a 6.5x57 AI would be a really good idea. . .
    6.5-06 A-Square

Zee said:
    Bigslug said:

6.5-06 A-Square
    I have used a fair number of the Redfield Revolution scopes and have always been impressed with them given the price point.  Its a shame the line was killed off.

The Redfield is my only unused scope laying around right now.  I may end up doing an inventory reduction shortly that may free up some 2-7x33 and 3-9x40 scopes though.

I had two donor rifles that were .30-06.  The R700 became a somewhat lightweight .35 Whelen.  The Zastava M70 has been slated for a 6.5-06 project idea.
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 593 Senior Member
    I have the exact gun in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Diamondback 4x12 x40 on it  and I like it a lot so far a good shooter I'm looking to see if I can use it in my new spot for deer I can reach out to around 400 yards I'm not sure what gun to use at this blind a Tikka 300 Mag that I know will do it and a Ruger 308 a Tikka 25/06 or a Tikka 7MM08 my 30/06 that I wanted to use I can not get it to shoot on target I don't know what happened to the Leupold scope on it but hunting season is coming quick and I don't have the time to fix it
    Im torn between using the spare Redfield 4-12x40 or pulling a Leupold 3-9x40 off of something else that isnt being used.  I need to dig through the items on the potential chopping block to see if any have a suitable scope to remove.  I have no grand vision of shooting past 200 yards, so I dont need more than a 3 or 4 power anyways.  I still need to order rings and bases, but i will probably just wait till after the holiday shipping disaster is over.  I have some more weekends napping in the woods planned, so I dont want a package sitting on the porch all weekend.  I cant use it where I nap in the woods for regular deer season and if I do late doe season at a family friends place I will probably just use my .30-06 again.

As far as suddenly lot staying on target, I would suggest checking all the ring and base screws.  I have had a few come loose before on some heavyish recoiling rifles.  I have also had a Burris scope erector adjustment fail and after "repair" it wont even hold on a .22 bolt rifle.  That ordeal is a story for another time though.

No personal experience using a .308 or .25-06 for hunting, but I dont see where any of the chamberings you listed shouldnt work.
    I installed. Set of DNZ base/rings on mine and they keep in line with the ultralight concept very well.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    I can find Talley ring/base in stock Ina fee places, but that's about it.   I was hoping to find a set of Leupold QRW/PRW bases, but I couldn't find a part number.  That's the style of base with PRW2 rings that I went to on my little .458 after the typical Leupold dovetail style front base became a loose fit at best.  Not sure if it was a recoil issue that caused it or not as the scope had only been off the rifle a handful of times.  That style base and ring seems to be a really solid setup.

I did find a handful of rifles with 2-7x33 scopes on them as well.  Might have to decide on a herd thinning soon.  Some things have not been shot in years and a handful have not been shot by me yet due to various reasons.
    Found some Warne bases and some Leupold PRW2 rings in stock.  Now I just have to wait for them to arrive.  The Talley set that I was able to find went out of stock from the time I put them in my "cart" till I went to checkout.  A span of about 1 minute.