Home Main Category General Firearms

I just got an almost-minty Mossberg 500 12. ga shotgun yesterday, but a few troubles!

burroughs85burroughs85 Posts: 168 Member
edited January 10 in General Firearms #1
I bought it at a popular online gun auction marketplace. The site has a G in it and a B in it. I did inspect the gun at my local FFL for transfer before bringing the gun home. At the FFL, I looked down the barrel and there was no rust or pitting. The pictures online made the gun look like it were in mint condition. It has a nice checkered wood stock and a deep blue finish. But here are some troubles as follows:

* scratch on left-hand side of receiver toward the front (partly my fault because I did not notice that the photos at the seller site did not offer full coverage of the gun: the camera focused in on the serial number on the L/H side of the slide but did not catch the scratch forward of that serial number)

** the most outrageous thing I've ever seen. There is a choke tube jammed in the chamber end of the barrel!! Can you believe that! What idiot did that, I wonder? Isn't that something most gun buyers would miss during an inspection? I did not discover this until I got the gun home and tried to dry-cycle some shells through the action to check operation. The gun would not chamber shells. I felt into the chamber area to check for obstructions. Sure enough my pinky felt some notches. I took the barrel off and saw the stupid choke tube lodges in it. I cannot get it out bare handed. Pounding the barrel chamber end down on a 2x4 did not dislodge the choke tube.

Has anybody here had a bad used firearm purchase experience like this? Would you have thought to check the chamber out for a possible choke tube stuck in it? Who could ever imagine something like this?

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,690 Senior Member
    Sounds to me like someone didn’t know which end the choke went in. Or a child did it. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,466 Senior Member
    Welcome (back?). 

Most likely, I’d have removed the barrel from the receiver and the bolt from the receiver during initial inspection at my FFL had I bought a used gun from GB. 

Hopefully, you can get it out without damage to the chamber. Otherwise, the seller should have a return policy. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    Nah that's just a 20 gauge adapter....

Kidding, kidding  but that is odd that someone did that.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • burroughs85burroughs85 Posts: 168 Member
    RugerFan said:
    Sounds to me like someone didn’t know which end the choke went in. Or a child did it. 
    My latest local FFL runs his business in the privacy of his own home. That's why he only charges $20 instead of the $40 that my LGS charges for a transfer. A child may have done that indeed. The barrel was off the gun when Iooked down it by me at the FFL. I was checking for pits and rust. Fine there. I looked down the muzzle end instead of the chamber end toward the ceiling light fixture. The online seller is actually a gun dealer down in Alabama. The choke tube in the wrong place must have gotten past him too. But who would've ever "thunk" it! 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,205 Senior Member
    edited January 10 #6
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,016 Senior Member
    The scratch is not a big deal but if you can’t easily dislike that choke from the chamber is contact the seller and see what he says.  Most folks that sell on GB do not want a bad review so they are really good about making things right.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Another small gripe is the recoil pad that came on this newest Mossy hunting gun. It has no trademark on it. It is hard rubber and has razor-sharp edges around. It hurts just to throw the gun up to my shoulder. I've owned two 1990's-built Mossy's previously with factory recoil pads on synth stocks that were much better. My Mossy 500 bought new in 1995, I could not feel a thing when I fired 00-buck from it at the range in 3" shells. My Mossy 590 police pump also felt nice thrown to my shoulder. To my sadness, both my original two Mossy's were stolen in a home burg never to be recovered by some scandalous individual. My Remington 870 Express police pump has a nice soft, thick foam butt pad with Remington logos on it. 

I'm reading that aftermarket recoil pads can be tricky and pricy as them may need to be custom sanded and fitted by a gunsmith. Slip-over recoil pads look cheesy. There doesn't seem to be an aftermarket screw-on butt pad that will fit a Mossy 500 wood stock like a glove right out of the box without a gunsmith's fiddling with it. I wish the gun makers and the recoil pad makers would all get on the same page and have everything built with uniform dimensions. A butt pad should be industry standard for fit like a light bulb in a household 120-volt socket. A butt pad should be a no-gunsmithing affair like attaching a sling or a scope. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    Bobbert???

Buttpads pretty much don't fit stocks exactly because the factories most likely do the final sand and shape of the stock with the pad attached.

Old, dried-out, crumbly pads are an unfortunate reality of dealing in used guns.  Fortunately, you're lucky in that it's on a pump shotgun where the stock is a rear "module" that comes off, is short, and easy to work with; and also in that it's a Mossberg  - - GREAT gun, but there's nothing high-dollar going on.  Mask the stock heavily with several layers of tape and fit the new pad with your own grinding wheel.  If you buzz through the tape and nick the stock, you haven't destroyed a Holland.

As to the choke tube, contact the seller and see how to work it out.  If it can be extracted and the chamber isn't damaged, no harm, no foul,  If that's a no-go, a 500 barrel isn't exactly a rare thing - maybe the sell can spring for one, compensate you for one, etc...  Goofy stuff like that is ALSO an unfortunate reality of dealing in used guns, and a choke in the barrel is something SO stupid that your seller wouldn't have even thought to check for it.  Odds are you can come to an agreement and make it right.

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,576 Senior Member
    edited January 10 #10
    Recoil pads are a gunsmithing job.  If you want it done right.  Or a skilled home project. for an aftermarket fitting.  In my limited experience, I've never seen one that didn't need sanding down to fit.  I think they're purposely built slightly oversized for working down so they fit properly, A factory pad, otoh, should fit perfectly.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    edited January 10 #11
    RugerFan said:
    I'm negotiating a return on the gun right now. The seller is offering to give me a full refund for the gun but has not yet agreed to provide me a prepaid shipping label yet. Here is the seller's email to me:

Mr. Burroughs; I plead guilty on the choke tube. I never had a chance to test fire that gun,so it made an ASS out of me.. If you will look at my photos I had a picture of most of that side of the receiver ,and there is no scratch on it. BUT never- mind return the gun to Greenerfields and I will refund all your funds to you. I apologize for the tube Debacle.

I asked for return shipping to be covered too. I will see how he responds. Please stay tuned.

Boy, the things you really have to inspect when buying a used gun. You have to look in places that most people would never have thunk to look there. 
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    I could believe a kid did it.

I could also believe someone thought they could turn a 12 guage into a 16 guage by stuffing a 12 choke in there. They probably discovered it wouldn't work an then couldn't get it back out. Oh well, just sell it. 😤

Next time just by an adapter.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

I told the seller I'd see if my local gunsmith can get the stuck tube out of the chamber fairly cheap and save the barrel. It that can be done, I'll just keep the gun for dove and whatnot. I have thought about getting a Turkish-made/Chiappa-Arms-distributed Charles Daly Model 301 pump shotgun but I don't know. Some sources say they are great for a cheap pump gun and others say they stink badly. Daly sounds like "daily" like take your daily meds. 
    Good news. My local gunsmith got the stuck choke tube out of my Mossy 500 yesterday. Barrel and chamber looked undamaged. He inspected her and said she's a good gun for shooting. He didn't even charge me. He is my new local FFL for gun transfers. So, my Mossy is a keeper. 
    Good deal.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Interesting nightmarish story-----glad it worked out
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,045 Senior Member
    I would fire a few rounds through it, and make sure the hulls don’t get stuck in the chamber before declaring it good-to-go.  

But this does sound like good progress.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    This gun now cycles unfired shells as smooth as a baby's bottom. The final test is at the range, weather permitting. 
    Glad to hear it worked out for you and good luck at the range tomorrow. 👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Tomorrow is Saturday. The outdoor range near me is only open on Sundays. Lawton, Oklahoma is so mickey-mouse they don't even have one indoor shooting range in town. The only ranges around are outdoors and way out in the county. This is a military town too. Fort Sill. 
    I pass through Lawton, OK a few times a year. Maybe we should “Meet-n-Greet” some time. 
    Zee said:
    I pass through Lawton, OK a few times a year. Maybe we should “Meet-n-Greet” some time. 
    You can't be serious!
    Hell, why not?
    Zee said:
    Hell, why not?
    You could be a serial shoe salesman… 
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Just make sure you bring your mints, if you drop by...to make a good impression and everything
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Hell, why not?
    You could be a serial shoe salesman… 

That is precious
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Just make sure you bring your mints, if you drop by...to make a good impression and everything

Do it! Do it!
    What's the worst that can happen?

Yeah okay, that might be pretty bad.
    😍😵