Home Main Category General Firearms

Do you have any Turkish-made and/or Czech-made guns you like?

burroughs85burroughs85 Posts: 168 Member
edited January 12 in General Firearms #1
They tend to be on the cheap side. Some get rave reviews while others get dismissed as junk. There are Turk guns (some with with old American, European and/or English trademarks on them) like Charles Daly/Chiappa, ATI/Cavalry, Stevens, Hatfield, Yildiz and Iver Johnson. I've heard nothing bad about CZ guns and the CZ 457 American and 557 American rifles look quite nice in the pictures. 

"Made in Czech Republic" is to guns now like "Made in Japan" was for motorcycles in the 1960's. "Made in Turkey" is for guns now like "Made in Hong Kong" used to be for plastic toys and novelty rubber dog doo decades ago, so it seems. I don't know about Turkey, but the Japanese used to make high-quality stuff. 

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,020 Senior Member
    edited January 12 #2
    I don’t think I’ve heard of any Czech or Turkish guns spoken about in a derogatory manner.  I personally have never had a bad experience with either.   In both cases, generally, you get a lot more gun than the price tag would represent.  Off the top of my head I think I have 2 CZ rifles and they are above average performers, and if they were American guns they would easily command twice what I paid for them.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,541 Senior Member
    Love my CZ handguns and CZ shotgun. Also impressed by my Canik handgun. 
  • burroughs85burroughs85 Posts: 168 Member
    True. I've been checking out new Charles Daly and Iver Johnson branded pump and/or auto tactical shotguns lately. Charles Daly/Chiappa Firerarms, Italy gets mixed reviews while the NRA tested a new "Iver Johnson" tactical pump that seemed to be built like a tank for its paltry price tag. There were some cheap Iver Johnson branded revolvers back in the 1990's. That name seemed to have disappeared altogether until lately. 

On the CZ side, their medium-priced wood/blue bolt-action rifles seem to get nothing but praise from everybody. I do love the Mauser-style bolt handle on 457 and 557. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    I have several Turkish made side by sides....They're all of as good or better quality as a lot of similar shotguns. Wood to metal fit and checkering is impeccable as is their function.

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,576 Senior Member
    I have and have had several CZ rifles.  Top quality, IMO. Never had a Turkish gun, but Turkish walnut is very nice.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    If you think CZ guns are anything less than top tier, you are just completely misinformed and possibly just trolling. 

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 623 Senior Member
    I have 2 CZ handguns  a P09 and a CZ75 the best thing I can say is a lot of my buddys that shot them went out and bought 1
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    I have a Stoeger M3000 shotgun which I like.  Very well made.

But, there are a number of extremely inexpensive Semi Auto shotguns from Turkey which aren’t likely to stand up to heavy use.  At their price point, a Maverick 88 is the better option by a mile.
    edited January 13 #10
    I don't question the quality of CZ rifles at all. They are no doubt the best under-$1,000 bolt-action hunting rifles on the new gun market. I lumped Czech Republic and Turkey together because most traditional blue/wood hunting long guns were made in America, England and western Europe. There has been a progressive trend over a couple decades to look toward eastern Europe, Asia, Japan and Brazil for traditional style guns on the cheaper side. English, German, Swedish, Belgian, Italian, Finnish and American gun factory workers won't work cheap. I once considered those 7 nations to produce the "gold standard" in gun quality. 
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,372 Senior Member
    I own CZ rifles, great stuff. I also own a 20 and 12 SXS bobwhite, the 20 is the  first run, the 12 is a G2. Those shotguns are great guns, if they were made in England or the US add a grand at least to the price, maybe 2. I have yet to fine a CZ rifle that won’t shoot. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    You should dig a little deeper into the history of Czech guns.  Pre-WWII and pre-Iron Curtain, they were one of the leading exporters of very nice M98 derivatives to the armies of the world.  Post-iron curtain, they didn't drink any more of the Moscow Kool Aid than they had to and kept exporting very nice arms to the parts of the world not slapping them with boycotts/sanctions.  With the recent discontinuance of the 550, you only real Mauser option is probably Mauser or the high-end English makers (who probably got the action from Mauser) - at a five figure price tag.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said:
    You should dig a little deeper into the history of Czech guns.  Pre-WWII and pre-Iron Curtain, they were one of the leading exporters of very nice M98 derivatives to the armies of the world.  Post-iron curtain, they didn't drink any more of the Moscow Kool Aid than they had to and kept exporting very nice arms to the parts of the world not slapping them with boycotts/sanctions.  With the recent discontinuance of the 550, you only real Mauser option is probably Mauser or the high-end English makers (who probably got the action from Mauser) - at a five figure price tag.
    Absolutely on the money.  For years, maybe decades, the Brno ZKK-602 magnum length action was considered the African PH working gun of choice.  Even heavily used examples in DG chamberings command very good money nowadays if you can convince an owner to part with one.  Some even say they are stronger than German Mauser actions.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    While I have never been in a Turkish prison, I own and have owned a few Turkish made shotguns. I have a 10 gauge side by side and it was very affordable and the quality is good. Rock Island Armory is importing some budget pump shotguns from Turkey. The trigger is a bit stiff, but otherwise they are good quality especially for the price.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    edited January 13 #15
    I'm not really a gun history buff. I fancy guns that look right, feel right, last long, just flat out work and are priced right. For bolt-action hunting rifles, I consider the Swedish 1950's-1970's Husqvarna Model 3000 Crown Grade the gold standard for looks and craftsmanship. For over/under shotguns, the Belgian Browning Superposed is my gold standard. For D/A revolvers, the crown jewels gotta be the Colts made before 1980. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Absolutely on the money.  For years, maybe decades, the Brno ZKK-602 magnum length action was considered the African PH working gun of choice.  Even heavily used examples in DG chamberings command very good money nowadays if you can convince an owner to part with one.  Some even say they are stronger than German Mauser actions.
    The biggest difference to that effect that you can readily see is they got rid of Mauser's split left bolt lug (grooved to allow passage of the blade-type ejector) and instead copied the Pre-64 Winchester's ejector system that springs up at 7:00.  Not that I've ever seen a failed left lug on a '98, but it's unquestionably sturdier.

While the bolt shroud is certainly sleeker than a military M98, it probably serves equally well as a blown case gas deflector just by virtue of its size.  

You could argue that they slammed together the best of both Mauser and Winchester.  I'd rather have either the 2-stage military trigger or Winchester's original than the single set trigger CZ installs, but I like my .30-06 all the same.  Was my primary deer rifle before I discovered stainless and plastic.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Stoeger M2000. It's the cousin to the Benelli and Franchi intertia-driven shotguns that uses food stamps and Medicaid.  It's a sample of one; HOWEVER, my M2000 is THE workhorse of my 12 gauge stable.  Regretfully, my efforts to track down a 20" self defense length barrel have all but failed due to being discontinued for the M3000 a handful of years ago.  I have had my M2000 since 2006.  Ducks, doves, crows, small game...its taken them all.  relentlessly reliable with all ammo types, too.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,507 Senior Member
    theres like and then theres LIKE.

I have a turkey CZ clone that came out years ago.  Its ok as a shooter and it was way cheaper, but it wouldnt have hurt them to copy the accuracy of the CZ while they were at it would have been nice.

and as far as CZs, have too many, but i do like them, so its what i like/buy/collect.

I think i have a Beretta something with the rotating barrel system.  Its a cool/different gun.

not sure what else i have that maybe turkey related.  I do have my dealer looking for a CZ clone but so far no call yet.  no rush either.

I guess since i bought my turkey guns recently no more than 10? years old, that they have figured out whats what and know how to make them.  Not like the **** toys/cars and stuff where they were all cheap.  But i think if you look at how things are done, some country/company may start up and fall on their face and maybe many times, but if they learn anything from it, they may come back better/stronger.   

And if you can copy something good and not cheap out or make too many changes/mods to the OEM design, you may come up with a decent product.  
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    JasonMPD said:
    Stoeger M2000. It's the cousin to the Benelli and Franchi intertia-driven shotguns that uses food stamps and Medicaid.  It's a sample of one; HOWEVER, my M2000 is THE workhorse of my 12 gauge stable.  Regretfully, my efforts to track down a 20" self defense length barrel have all but failed due to being discontinued for the M3000 a handful of years ago.  I have had my M2000 since 2006.  Ducks, doves, crows, small game...its taken them all.  relentlessly reliable with all ammo types, too.
    I had one of those for a few years, and outside of a general dousing with WD-40 after it slipped my hands and went submarine in a murky pond I don’t believe I ever gave it any maintenance. It never failed to go bang and cycle with MANY SHELLS of anything I fed it.  I used it on everything from ducks to clay birds successfully.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬