Home Main Category General Firearms

I think I'll Spiff Up the Old 10/22

PFDPFD Senior MemberPosts: 1,755 Senior Member
I'm almost finished with the surprise visit to the heart surgeon and we are getting a pretty good tax return . . .

So I thought bolting on some aftermarket parts might be a fun little project.

I know defining it's purpose should be done first but I haven't got that far yet.

I'm thinking a shorter barrel . . .maybe a bull?  SS, blued, fluted, carbon fiber?

Internals, of course. A trigger pack at the least.  Any thing else beneficial?

Don't know if I'll top it with a scope or a red dot.  Probable try both.

Not exactly a job for JSD but hopefully that's in the works.

I know there has been tons of threads on this but let's spend some new money.

That's all I got.

Paul

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,266 Senior Member
    Brimstone Gunsmithing to lighten up your trigger, if you don't want to give it a go yourself.  
    Green mountain bull barrel,  stock of choice, extended mag release.   and the list can go on and on and on.  
    The depth of your checkbook is the limit
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,731 Senior Member
    If you are going to carry it in the woods - carbon fiber
    Bench and target - Bull
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,766 Senior Member
    I have a 10/22T in SST. The 2-stage factory trigger can be polished up to a very satisfactory degree. Extended mag release is for sure a feature you'll like. Rugers hammer-forged barrels and laminate stock make it "a bit" heavy to tote around, but a decent sling helps with that. Topped with a Leupold 4-12X VXII, it is a squirrel-killing machine. And from the bench' it'll run with more than most.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,467 Senior Member
    For making a silk purse, I suggest that you avoid going Vincent Van Gogh on a pig.

https://cz-usa.com/product-category/rifles/rimfire/
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,511 Senior Member
    How does the current barrel shoot?  I was going to do some heavy mods to a stainless Ruger 10/22 I picked up for a song but I made the mistake of cleaning and shooting it with an older inexpensive Tasco scope I adjusted the parallax on.  Three Remington cheap Thunderbolts  went into one hole and now I’m afraid to touch anything in this gun… 🤣
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,683 Senior Member
    I’ve been I’ve been pleased with my Green Mountain 10/22 barrel. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,644 Senior Member
    I've got a stock trigger that's doing no one any good.  It's free if you (or anyone else) can use it.  Postage.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,589 Senior Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,131 Senior Member

Go for a 1991 retro build!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,259 Senior Member
    I put one in a synthetic stock added an extended release and little hologram type scope. I want to do the trigger but I haven't tinkered with them much lately. 
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
    I have a factory upgraded trigger in one o mine and like it. Unfortunately, they’ve been out of store for a year. 
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 189 Member
    Either get an "Auto bolt release" or, if you're handy with a dremel, remove the factory one, you'll see a heart shaped hole in it. Turn the pointed part at the top of the "heart" round and instead of having to manually release, you just pull the bolt back and it will release on it's on.

"For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
    edited January 25 #14
    GrapeApe said:
    Either get an "Auto bolt release" or, if you're handy with a dremel, remove the factory one, you'll see a heart shaped hole in it. Turn the pointed part at the top of the "heart" round and instead of having to manually release, you just pull the bolt back and it will release on it's on.

I forgot this simple DIY upgrade.
    Our old buddy CPJ talked me into doing the trigger myself.  Lots of youtube vids on how to do things to a 10-22.  The best part being. There is not a part that cant be replaced with a factory new if you make a mistake.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,259 Senior Member
    I have a dremel. 
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 189 Member
    I learned it from a departed gentleman that went by "Antlurz" on a rimfire site many years ago.
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,755 Senior Member
    edited January 25 #17
    Diver43 said:

Green mountain bull barrel,  stock of choice, extended mag release.   and the list can go on and on and on.  
    The depth of your checkbook is the limit
    Yeah, that's pretty much the plan.  Like Bigslug pointed out, it would be real easy to spend enough to pay for a pretty little CZ. 🙄
    Mr. Jerry told me about the bolt release mod, I did it and it actually worked ok.
    I wanted a Green Mtn .920 bbl, fluted.  After spending a couple hours on the web, I finally found one in stock at Midsouth.  Those things are flat out of stock almost everywhere.
    Now to suss out the stock.  Hmmmm . . .
    Oh yeah, Ramline???? I didn't know they were still around! Cool stuff when I was in my twenties. 😆

That's all I got.

Paul
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,467 Senior Member
    A set of Tech Sights and a bigger mag release on the otherwise unaltered gun was where I stopped.  I have scopes and precision elsewhere, and those mods nicely purified the ammo hose with a better sight picture and longer radius.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 6,004 Senior Member
    I did some modifications on my 10/22 over the years and am very happy with the results:

- 16" ER Shaw threaded barrel
    - MagPul X-22 Hunter stock
    - Home done auto bolt release mod (this is a MUST)
    - Power Custom sear
    - Power Custom hammer

I'm pretty satisfied overall, and with Prime match ammo (repackaged Eley) it stacks bullets on top of each other. 

With that said, because I can't leave well enough alone, I will likely swap the X-22 stock for a KRG Bravo now that they're available. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    edited January 26 #20
    How much you want for the MagPull stock?
    edited January 26 #21

With that said, because I can't leave well enough alone, I will likely swap the X-22 stock for a KRG Bravo now that they're available. 
    Well Thanks!😫
    I had pretty much decided on the Magpul but now I have to take a look at the KRG.  Also looking at a Boyd's laminated since I like the looks.
    That's all I got.

Paul
    PFD said:

Well Thanks!😫
    I had pretty much decided on the Magpul but now I have to take a look at the KRG.  Also looking at a Boyd's laminated since I like the looks.
    The Magpul is quite good at its price point, I just want the next step up. The KRG is about twice the price, but is a fully adjustable chassis system with an aluminum bedding block. 
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Zee said:
    How much you want for the MagPull stock?
    I'll shoot you a text. 
    Give me a shout if you don't sell it to Zebediah.

I looked at the KRG but if I buy a $260 stock, I'll probably stick something other than a .22 in it.  😋
    I already had to explain to SWMBO why I'm spending about as much for a stock and barrel as I did for the gun.

That's all I got.

Paul
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,580 Senior Member
    Shamelessly piling on - I've got an older target / bull barrel 10/22 that's all factory at this point. I've been meaning to look into some upgrades but it always gets shuffled to the back burner. 

The barrel is about as far from free floated as you can get so a stock upgrade is probably in order. Or I guess I could sand it? It is a nice looking stock. 

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,580 Senior Member
    That KRG looks sweet! It would not only cost me $260 but I'd probably been into another scope as well. 
    JKP said:
    Shamelessly piling on - I've got an older target / bull barrel 10/22 that's all factory at this point. I've been meaning to look into some upgrades but it always gets shuffled to the back burner. 

The barrel is about as far from free floated as you can get so a stock upgrade is probably in order. Or I guess I could sand it? It is a nice looking stock. 

See? I think that's a pretty stock. 
    That is all factory?  And here I am looking at $350 to $400 to get roughly there!
    I was browsing at Boyd's and saw the 10/22 At-one.  I think it's wood but it has all the gadgets.
    Since I have black rifles to make all "tacticool", I may go with a thumb hole laminated. . .
    Danged tax returns!
    That's all I got.

Paul
    Another 👍for the Magpul stock
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,766 Senior Member
    edited January 27 #29
    JKP said:

That is exactly the rifle I bought in '96.  A few small inexpensive tweaks did help. Sanding off the front pressure pad did help it a bit as did a professional trigger job. It's a tack driver with the right ammo, which did, admittedly, take a lot of experimentation and gobbled up ammo funds like you wouldn't believe. With a centerfire I could have whipped up an exceptional load without much effort or time/monetary expenditure. Being rimfire....well....without hyperbole, I tried likely 40 different types to find 2 "target" worthy and 1 "game" worthy loads. By the time all was said and done, I probably spent as much trialing ammo as I did on the basic rifle. But all things are relative. By "target grade" I was looking for 10 shots at 50 yards, wind predictable, into substantially less than a dime. Eley 10X and Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match (900 UMB) filled the bill. For "game" ammo, I wanted 10 shots at 50 yards in 3/4" that would make the first hit count. CCI MiniMag HP's exceeded my expectation on both accounts. Once I figured the ammo out...this rifle
    is a dream.

Mike

ETA: Sanding off the pressure pad, if it doesn't work, can be easily corrected with a few drops of epoxy.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,511 Senior Member
    One of my Spiffyfied 10/22s

Second from top…

It’s crazy accurate AND pretty 😍. Unfortunately neither the stock or barrel are still available.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 322 Member
    Very nice WS
    our family sold walnut trees to Reinhart Fajen in Missouri many years ago.