Home Main Category General Firearms

Ruger Birds Head Wrangler is Home!

2»

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,526 Senior Member
    Usually the blades are made of relatively soft steel so you can make small adjustments.  It might have even gotten bent in shipping.  I wouldn’t even try a vise.  I’d cover the jaws of a regular set of pliers with several thicknesses of black electrician’s tape to make sure the serrations are not a factor in screwing up the finish, and just try to gently bend it just a hair.  You are soooo close…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,685 Senior Member
    That sounds doable. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    The formula is go slowly.  If it doesn’t bend with relatively gentle pressure box it up and sent it to Ruger.  Also work from 1/3 to halfway up the blade.  Never try to bend at the weld.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,467 Senior Member
    I admit it's growing on me...

Ya know. . .if they can pull off cheapening the Single Six, they can probably pull off cheapening the .22 version of the SP-101.

I'm getting near the point of being tempted by the standard grip version of this.  A DA swing out, or even a DA loading gate for under $300 would get me there.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said:
    I admit it's growing on me...

Ya know. . .if they can pull off cheapening the Single Six, they can probably pull off cheapening the .22 version of the SP-101.

I'm getting near the point of being tempted by the standard grip version of this.  A DA swing out, or even a DA loading gate for under $300 would get me there.
    It’s a pretty solid little plinker. If I can get that front sight lean sorted out, I’ll be damn happy with this gun for what it is. Inexpensive, gorgeous grips, and feels amazing in the hand. 
    edited January 26 #37
    The formula is go slowly.  If it doesn’t bend with relatively gentle pressure box it up and sent it to Ruger.  Also work from 1/3 to halfway up the blade.  Never try to bend at the weld.
    Are you sure I won’t have more control locking 1/3 of the sight in my vice and slowly turning the bulk of the gun?
    edited January 26 #38
    Basically you want to avoid stressing the weld.  I think with the pliers you can control where the pressure goes by leveraging force against the edge of the jaws.  Tough to explain but you have to think in terms of bending the blade not the joint between the gun and blade if that makes sense.  So whatever way you are more comfortable doing that is Ok.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,134 Senior Member
    Tell me more about this poor mans trigger job.  Is it just moving that spring?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,425 Senior Member
    Tell me more about this poor mans trigger job.  Is it just moving that spring?
    Basically, this.
    https://gunblast.com/Poorboy.htm

I've done it in the past and it does work. In some cases, I noticed considerably slower lock time. If that isn't an issue, it does work and reduce the trigger pull weight.
    I would note as far as lock time, that obviously has nothing to do with releasing one leg of the trigger spring. The article notes the possibility of clipping a coil or two off the hammer spring, which I have not done and personally wouldn't advise. I did do this procedure in combination with Wolf reduced weight hammer springs, which does affect lock time.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,482 Senior Member
    The poor man’s trigger job by moving one leg of the trigger return spring from the frame is a no cost work around. That says the leg of the spring that is not attached can and will drag on the hammer spring. In most of all cases no big deal, but it can interfere it conditions are right. Buy the wolf reduced springs, cheap insurance 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    It’s an inexpensive .22lr………the Poor version will work just fine. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,467 Senior Member
    I think - maybe - the answer to your front sight is a small pair of smooth-faced, parallel jaw pliers - - maybe two pairs.  If you regularly change a lot of front sights on Glocks, they're really handy for straightening them on the slide after you get the screw tightened down, so you'll have at least that use after you're done.

Use one pair to hold the bottom at the barrel and the other to bend the top.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Yeah, that sight ain’t bending!  

I started out with one hand on the pliers and migrated to two hands and some straining!!  It ain’t gonna bend and I’m afraid any more umph and I’ll snap that sucker off!!
    Well that’s a first for me.  Better safe than sorry, at least you tried.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Use a hammer.  If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer... 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,094 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Use a hammer.  If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer... 
    What would Tony Beets do?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,134 Senior Member
    I’m just going to leave this here…

https://shoot-on.com/the-funnest-revolver-of-the-year/

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,758 Senior Member

This deserves a thread of its own.
    They had me until they got to the part about 2' accuracy at 25 yds.
    If they could tighten that up, I would own one.
    Poor mans Wrangler. 😂

That's all I got.

Paul