Home Main Category General Firearms

Favorite .22 rifle

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,637 Senior Member
Like most folks on the forum, I have several 22 rifles. My favorite is a plain jane 582 Remington.  It's accurate and I like the tubular magazine.

I've got other .22s, a couple more expensive or collectable, but my 582 is one that's not for sale.  It's accounted for a truckload of pigeons, some squirrels, a couple of crows and various other vermiin.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 1,148 Senior Member
    Is it shy ?
    We do like pictures.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,471 Senior Member
    edited January 27 #3
    For the life of me I could never make one my favorite.  The most special one is the Steyr that Elk creek facilitated for me.  Mannlicher stock, double set triggers, one hole shooter and less than 3,000 made worldwide make it a true Unicorn.  But really I dearly love all my .22 rifles even the lowly bone stock 10/22s.  I am partial to older guns, and the older the better!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,252 Senior Member
    I only have a few, but my favorite .22 is my self modified 10-22.  First gun I ever tore apart to modified some, updated replacement parts.  
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,766 Senior Member
    I have considerable fondness for all my 22 RF rifles, including the "way older than me" bolt gun I've had since I was a six YO, 57 years ago. But, if push came to shove....my favorite is my newest. A Ruger 10/22T SST, mildly tweaked, topped with a Leupold 4-12X VX-II, and carried with a USMC VietNam era shooting sling. Bought in 1996. It's a bit of a beast to tote in the squirrel woods, (sling helps with that), but I've rarely fired it for blood that it didn't produce, even under less than stellar conditions. From the bench, you can't tell from the target if it was a semi or bolt. It's been a great rifle. Unfortunately....all the new ones look like space guns.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,753 Senior Member
    my favorite is my newest. A Ruger 10/22T SST, mildly tweaked, topped with a Leupold 4-12X VX-II, and carried with a USMC VietNam era shooting sling. Bought in 1996. It's a bit of a beast to tote in the squirrel woods, (sling helps with that), but I've rarely fired it for blood that it didn't produce, even under less than stellar conditions. From the bench, you can't tell from the target if it was a semi or bolt. It's been a great rifle. Unfortunately....all the new ones look like space guns.

Mike

Still in the factory stock?

That's all I got.

Paul
    Yep. Factory laminate stock, and I'm not sure if my favorite part of the rifle is that or Rugers factory hammer forged barrel. I did sand off the foreward lifting "lifting pad", for want of a better word, from the foreward end of the barrel channel. That helped mine noticeably, but YMMV.

The only compliant I have about this particular rifle is that it's extremely particular about what ammo it likes. It feeds everything fine, but when accuracy counts....Federal Gold Medal Match, UMB 900 for paper. Unfortunately...you can send 3 through a squirrel and he'll hardly notice. OTOH, CCI MINIMag HP's....(slightly less accurate).....one and done. 

Mine likes expensive ammo, but when I feed it right......Oh boy......

Mike
    N454casull
    Thanks, I'm in the market for a stock but I don't think a 1996 era factory laminated stock is an option. 😋
    Sounds like a tackdriver when you need it. 👍

That's all I got.

Paul
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,463 Senior Member
    Nostalgia clouds the issue for a some of them, but if that were removed and this was a pare it down to the barest essentials thread?

The CZ 452's would probably be the last to go.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,637 Senior Member

Not mine but this one is just like it.See the source image
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,587 Senior Member

This one.  Started out as a Light Varmint Target version.  Had the full receiver treatment by Connecticut Precision Chambering.  
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,419 Senior Member
    514 Remington, Single shot that's a tack driver with iron sights. It's the first gun and I got it when I was 11 yo.

Two is  Ruger MKII target

Three two is a Single Six

Four is a Rem 541T with peep sights 

Five is a stock 10-22 just a fun gun to plink cans with.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    PFD said:
    Thanks, I'm in the market for a stock but I don't think a 1996 era factory laminated stock is an option. 😋
    Sounds like a tackdriver when you need it. 👍

Yeah, I bet you're right. I think of it as one of my "newer" rifles, though it's approaching 30 years old. Damn....I'm getting old. Can remember every detail of the purchase like it was yesterday, but it took me at least 20 seconds to remember what I had for lunch today.

Mike

N454casull
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 314 Member
    All really great candidates. I’m now without a 22 rifle having given the Win 62a to a nephew and sold a Marlin.  An uncle had a Stevens crack shot that was doubtless the source of my love of falling blocks, short, light, simple, and did everything it was supposed to do perfectly.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,120 Senior Member
    My absolute favorite to shoot is the CZ 452 Scout with the red dot that I bought for the kiddo. 

It’s an absolute blast to shoot
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,545 Senior Member
    Whatever I'm shooting at the time is usually my favorite, but I'd have to rate them:

#1 Marlin 39A 'cause it's a Marlin lever gun!!

#2 Mossberg 46M bolt action military trainer from 1940-45. 

#3 Reminton 552 semi auto. Just point and shoot!!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,602 Senior Member
    hands down the best I've ever owned is my Browning T-Bolt

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,414 Senior Member
    edited January 27 #18
    Similar to others, it'd be hard to single out just one. But my Marlin 39A has to be right up there. Tons of fun. And what's not to love about a 22 lever action?

I have a Marlin 60 that ranks up there with the 39A, but more based on nostalgia than the actual gun. My buddy in high school turned 18 while we were seniors and had a little money. We ditched class the second half of the day, went to Wally World and he bought that model 60. I always carried my 39A in my truck, even at school. When he bought his Marlin, I bought 2 bulk packs of ammo and we spent the rest of the day in the desert, both emptying our 550 packs of ammo. When he joined the Coast Guard, he left that rifle with me for safe keeping. All these years later, I still try to give him that gun back every time I talk to him, and he keeps telling me it's mine. 
    The difference between a $200 Nylon 66 and a 700 Nylon.  The one on the right is rarest of all Nylons.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,723 Senior Member
    Ruger 10/22....... Hogue stock, Magnum Research carbon barrel, Power Custom target hammer, and a Leupold 2-7x33 rimfire scope

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    edited January 28 #21
    Remington Model 34. The action with the lifter is a work of art. Only made from 1932-35. Mine is a tack driver when I could actually see the sights. Very underrated and overlooked. 
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,466 Senior Member
    If I had to pick one 22 rifle, first I’d cry, then grab the Kimber K22 hunter. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • ds10speedds10speed Posts: 22 New Member
    My Mossberg 250C, because it was my first gun.

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,579 Senior Member
    Tough to pick but I'll go with Remington Model 541-S Custom Sporter.
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 362 Member
    I just can't make up my mind. Maybe the Winchester 52B
    edited January 29 #26
    Here she is.  The only thing not original is the well executed Pachmyer Recoil Pad.  She's wearing a Leupold Rimfire scope nowadays.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    JKP said:
    Tough to pick but I'll go with Remington Model 541-S Custom Sporter.
    I have a 541 Custom as well.  It's so pretty I'm reluctant to shoot it.  It's VERY accurate for a slim-barrel rifle and beautiful as well.
    That is pretty! 😍
    It looks like the rear scope mount is beautifully milled into the receiver, is the front attached by screw?
    The more I look at it, the more looks like it is milled.
    That's all I got.

Paul
    PFD said:
    That is pretty! 😍
    It looks like the rear scope mount is beautifully milled into the receiver, is the front attached by screw?
    The more I look at it, the more looks like it is milled.
    If you’re referring to mine the answer is yes, both scope rings attach directly to the milled receiver and the rings self center.  Really well done.  Hard to believe this was a $170 gun when they brought them to the USA.  I should have bought 10 of them.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,941 Senior Member
    Mine would be my Browning semi auto take down.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,419 Senior Member
    How could I forget one of my children? I'm so embarrassed! I love my BR22 lever gun. It's the only saddle stock I have left and is a great companion to my Ruger single Six.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink: