Home Main Category General Firearms

Favorite .22 rifle

2»

Replies

• CorkyCorky Posts: 19 New Member
    edited January 29 #32
    I have an old Springfield single shot that was made around 1936 and a Marlin 925R with a scope, but either of these two Henry rifles, especially the Golden Boy, are super accurate. I prefer the front sight on the Golden Boy to the other one. You can’t beat the wood on these for a .22, in my opinion.
    nothing like a nice piece of hickory 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,464 Senior Member
    The CZ's technically earn "favorite" title and like I say, would be the last to go, but it's the Remington 510/511/513's that hold the deed to my soul

I learned to shoot on my late uncle's 1958 510 Targetmaster single shot that was on semi-permanent loan to my Dad.  Sent that one back for his kids who started arriving in the world a dozen years after me.  The 511 and 513 mag fed versions entered our lives a little later.  A couple years back, Pop and I were in one of our usual haunts when I spied this essentially new, untouched by human hands 510-X (Nylon 66 style sights and optics-grooved receiver) on the used rack.

I walked it over to where Dad was standing and handed it to him without a word.  After about ten seconds of stunned silence, he said "I guess we pretty much have to, don't we?"  :)

Truthfully, as single shots go, it's a little bit of a PITA for a more advanced shooter because the safety auto-re-engages when you retract the bolt.  I think for that kind of thing, I prefer the much more mechanically simple JMB/Winchester 67A on which you have to pull back the striker, but these are the Warm, Fuzzy Memories guns, and logic has no place there.  You get back into the rhythm, the hands never really forget. 

These things really shoot, and I should probably hang glass on this one - - - - - but that's not how the 510 in my head is set up.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,259 Senior Member
    I have 2 Ruger 10/22s and a pre 64 Winchester model 67a that shoots like a champ. She rarely comes out. 
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    Bought this for my son when he was in scouts.  Now my grandson uses it.

Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,676 Senior Member
    Custom Ruger

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith