Home Main Category General Firearms

Ruger American Ranch Rifle?

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 4,425 Senior Member
edited January 26 in General Firearms #1
I've kinda got myself glancing at these things. I seem to recall maybe a couple of you guys having one. Just curious on anyone's experience with them. 

There are a few reasons I'm looking into getting one chambered in 5.56/.223. First, I don't own a bolt rifle chambered for that cartridge.  :o I have a bunch of gas guns and a pistol. But I want a bolt gun. Second, I like the threaded 16" barrel. Ready to take a can and not be excessively long. Third, they take regular AR mags, which I have a bunch of. Thinking about setting one up with a relatively light 4-12X scope. No particular use in mind, other than a suppressor ready beat around gun for anything from coyotes to possibly deer. pretty much, a "can" ready rifle to beat around in the desert. 

First thing I notice though, is they seem to be hard to find in that chambering right now. Seems to be plenty of them in 300 BLK and 450 Bushmaster. But Gunbroker is one of the few where I find them in 5.56 and they are $600ish... That's a bit steep for what it is, to me.. 

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,683 Senior Member
    Absolutely love mine!

Buds had some last week but they didn’t last long. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I’ve shot two deer with mine this year. 
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,425 Senior Member
    Good to know. I have checked on Bud's but haven't been lucky enough to jump on when they have them. Best I've found so far is on GB for $570 plus shipping. Basically $600. Guess I just need to wrap my brain around what things cost these days..  :D
    😳
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,609 Senior Member
    Kind of in the same dilemma, I've been looking for one in 350 Legend and there are none about other than the $600 ish ones that pop up on GB. I can go out this afternoon and buy a 450 Bushmasters or BKO locally! 
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,511 Senior Member
    edited January 26 #7
    Dear God, wasn’t that a $350 rifle not too long ago?!?!?  BTW I love your concept.  I just can’t wrap my head around a $1,300 “desert beater” rifle (adding can and modestly priced scope).
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬

Dear God, wasn’t that a $350 rifle not too long ago?!?!?  BTW I love your concept.  I just can’t wrap my head around a $1,300 “desert beater” rifle (adding can and modestly priced scope).
    Exactly my point. I'm having a hard time swallowing $600 for a flimsy stocked .223 rifle... 

Oh, and probably closer to $1500 with the can if I paid that price for the gun. $600 gun with shipping, plus $20 transfer, plus $80 QD mount muzzle brake, maybe $300 for glass and rings puts it at $1,000 before adding the can.  :s
    What Zee posted in those pics is pretty much what I'm wanting to do. 
    Jay said:
    Exactly my point. I'm having a hard time swallowing $600 for a flimsy stocked .223 rifle... 

Oh, and probably closer to $1500 with the can if I paid that price for the gun. $600 gun with shipping, plus $20 transfer, plus $80 QD mount muzzle brake, maybe $300 for glass and rings puts it at $1,000 before adding the can.  :s
    Damn… 😱
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 807 Senior Member
    Ive been after one as well.  I can find them regularly in other calibers, have yet to see a .223 yet
    Seems like there's several of us here looking for the same gun. If I find a source for them going for a decent price, I'll post it up here if ya'll want to do the same.

I'd really prefer to keep it under $500. Just gonna keep looking and wait for something to come up that's a little more reasonable than $600.
    It seems like the ones chambered in 300 blk, 350 legend and 450 BM are everywhere. Not sure if Ruger has figured out yet, those aren't selling like the 5.56 chambered guns are. I already have an AR in 450, have no desire for a bolt gun in that chambering, and have zero interest in 300 or 350. So I'll keep shopping.
    Jay said:
    Seems like there's several of us here looking for the same gun. If I find a source for them going for a decent price, I'll post it up here if ya'll want to do the same.

I'd really prefer to keep it under $500. Just gonna keep looking and wait for something to come up that's a little more reasonable than $600.
    Under $500 is probably a dream these days. But, good luck. I’ll even keep my eye out for y’all. 
    I'm sure you're right. But you didn't have to kill my dream...  :p
    And if you only find one for a good price, text... These other guys can wait...  :D
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,133 Senior Member
    You know, CZ went nuts with the lightweight .223 that uses AR mags:

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-600-trail/

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    You know, CZ went nuts with the lightweight .223 that uses AR mags:

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-600-trail/

I like the looks of that gun. Cost will probably be prohibitive for me, though. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,467 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    I'm sure you're right. But you didn't have to kill my dream...  :p
    The thing I would be thinking about. . .

If the price on these formerly-cheap guns that are largely made of plastic and held together with roll pins is getting to the point of giving us pause, it is probably worth taking a minute to look at what the NICE rifles are costing.  If the Ruger American was still $350 and the Hawkeyes $1000, I can see making the economic compromise.  But when the American is $600 and the Hawkeye $1100-$1200, it does tend to make me go "hmmmmm".

But then I've kind of gotten to the point where I'm regarding even the Remington 700 as a newfangled, cheaply made piece of almost-crap, so what do I know?

I too am looking hard at the "backpacker" CZ.  I've got to get my hands on one of the 600 "post-Mauser" actions and see if it's worth my time.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I started down the rabbit hole of possibly piecing together a custom on a Savage target action and might be able to squeeze that in for around $1200 plus glass. For now, since it's not something I have to have right this minute, I'll keep shopping and see if I can pick something up fairly reasonably. 
    edited February 7 #22
    Just got mine ordered. Bud's had them in stock VERY briefly for $529, free shipping. I must have got the last one. As soon as a little birdie told me they were in stock, I jumped and ordered, then went back to get the link to post up here for the guys looking for one, and they were showing out of stock again. Sorry guys. 

Now I've gotta buy a scope, rings and muzzle brake/can adapter...  :p
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,609 Senior Member
    I may forgo the Ruger, Local shop here has one of the CVA Scout single shot rifles in 350 Legend for a good price. Just haven't convinced myself I need it yet.
    edited February 7 #24
    I've got a scope, rings and SilencerCo muzzle brake ordered already.. Went kinda low $ on the scope, Vortex Crossfire II, 4-12x40 AO ($190) and Leupold Rifleman rings. But since Midway is doing a 10% off deal on optics, it discounted the scope and rings by $20.50, plus free shipping. My other Vortex scopes have been really good for the money, although I've never bought one of their lower end scopes. Hopefully this one will do the job.

FWIW - Total for the rifle, scope, rings and muzzle brake shipped is about $850. The brake alone is $80, so about $770 for the scoped rifle.
    Good deal on the rifle!!!

Good luck in the scope. Curious your opinion. I have a Crossfire II and while functional, the glass quality is dismal. The edge falls off fast and blurs out. 
    Really am happy for you on the rifle. It’s one of my favorite utility guns. Just a handy, fine shooting, and purposeful firearm. Well though out for what it is. 

As I mentioned to you, I have a Midway cheek rest with zippered pouch on mine. I have two loads for the rifle and carry a 10rnd Mag in the gun with 52gr HP for varmints and a 10rnd Mag in the cheek pouch with 64gr Speer GD loads for medium game. 
    Just an all-round utility for my area. 
    edited February 8 #27
    Thanks for your input and help. Much appreciated. 

Kind of a bummer to hear about your experience with that scope. I like the Vortex optics I have now. But haven’t gone that low in their lineup, as I mentioned. My criteria for this one was; $200 or less, hopefully decent, 4-12x and adjustable objective. I’ll post my thoughts on it when it’s here and set up. 

Next midway order I’ll remember to pick up that stock pouch. That’s a damn good idea carrying two mags on the gun. Definitely good to hear your good review on your rifle. I’m looking forward to this one ALMOST as much as I did my Sharps. This one might just take over the “practical and handy rig” in my lineup. Until now, my AR pistol has filled that role. 
    Forgot to mention I’ve taken a couple yotes with it. One at about 30 yards called in and one at 250 yards as a target of opportunity Crossing a sendaro. 

I don’t have the scope you ordered. I have a 2-7x Crossfire II Scout Scope and it basically…….sucks for me. But, that’s me and that’s a different scope than yours, albeit the same line. 
    You may get a winner. 
    edited February 8 #30
    Gotcha. Well, I’ll post my thoughts on this one when I get it. At least an FYI for others. For the price, I’m not expecting a lot. Maybe since it’s not a scout scope, it won’t lose clarity quite so bad. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ll be the guinea pig… 

I shot at a coyote here at my place yesterday. Little bastard.. was in the house and heard the dog get mad. Looked out the front door just in time to see my dog charge up to about 7 yards from the yote and it stood there looking at her. I reallly thought they were about to fight. By the time I snuck out and grabbed my 17 HMR, what I had loaded and ready that would fit that task, the yote was trotting down my fence at about 175 yards. Gave it a little lead and put the horizontal crosshairs even with its back and sent one. The splash through the scope looked like my bullet went right under its tail. 😣 Not quite enough lead for that distance and speed, I guess. Next time. 
    I’m really looking forward to your test of the finished product.  I’m realizing after many “upgrades” I have NO utility rifles anywhere in this house… 😱
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬