Home Main Category General Firearms

I'd like to see an article on John Brownings original High Power design.

DarryHDarryH Posts: 4 New Member
I'd like to see an article on John Brownings original High Power design. We know he died before it was finished. We know a Belgian (can't spell his name) refined it and finished it.  Is there much info, including design blueprints, that still exist? I'd like to see a full story on the design that Browning himself started.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,259 Senior Member
    Not a book but a decent article :  https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/hi-power.html

Welcome to the forum.  Any other guns interest you?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • DarryHDarryH Posts: 4 New Member
    WAAYYYY too many to list !
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,259 Senior Member
    Give it a try, its what we do here.  Some will say all you need is a 30-06 and a 1911.  Some have a gun vault as big as my house.
    We know you like the Highpower, thats a start

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • DarryHDarryH Posts: 4 New Member
    I like old and new airguns. I like original and reproduction black powder weapons. I like new and old .22's. I like old military rifles. I like original and repro cowboy weapons, I like old and new high powered rifles in any calibers, I like all sorts of shotguns, I like revolvers, semi-autos, single shots, double barrels, pump, bolt, semi-auto, etc. whether handgun or long gun.  Nickel, case hardened, parkerized, black, I like them all and shoot them all.  Not sure what I missed listing,  My WANT list is a mile long. Top items currently shopping for include a nice WWII German Mauser, a Krag Carbine, A repro Remington 1890 in Nickel and 44-40, A Remington 1890 in nickel in 44-40 of 45 Colt. Maybe a nice Geran Walther PP.  
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,465 Senior Member
    My tenuous understanding of the Hi Power is that Browning was originally working with a striker firing mechanism - - possibly like his FN M1910 pocket pistol - -  but that design element was discarded because it was thought a majority of folks wanted the visual cue of a cocked hammer.

Since it ended up being a hammer fired gun after Browning's death, there's probably not much besides the double stack mag and the tilting barrel that John actually had a hand in.  It's really Dieudonne Saive's fire control system more than anyone else's.  

The Browning guns that DIDN'T get made is a story that SHOULD be told.  That unfortunately is going to take an engineer who can also write to lock himself in the Cody, Wyoming museum for several solid months studying the prototypes that Winchester bought the rights to just to keep the Browning brothers from selling them to the competition.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,467 Senior Member
    If left to play with the design I think the 1895 Winchester would have had a box magazine like an SMLE…..it was a logical step and one that the rifle was almost set up for it anyway, albeit a single stack. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 8,050 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Some will say all you need is a 30-06 and a 1911.  Some have a gun vault as big as my house.

And neither are wrong nor is it hypocritical to have both.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,516 Senior Member
    DarryH said:
    I like old and new airguns. I like original and reproduction black powder weapons. I like new and old .22's. I like old military rifles. I like original and repro cowboy weapons, I like old and new high powered rifles in any calibers, I like all sorts of shotguns, I like revolvers, semi-autos, single shots, double barrels, pump, bolt, semi-auto, etc. whether handgun or long gun.  Nickel, case hardened, parkerized, black, I like them all and shoot them all.  Not sure what I missed listing,  My WANT list is a mile long. Top items currently shopping for include a nice WWII German Mauser, a Krag Carbine, A repro Remington 1890 in Nickel and 44-40, A Remington 1890 in nickel in 44-40 of 45 Colt. Maybe a nice Geran Walther PP.  

to me...it appears you have no dislikes...not that im counting.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt