Home Main Category Hunting

I finally own a Tikka Rifle again!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,562 Senior Member
edited March 3 in Hunting #1
Years ago, I sold my Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .338 Win Mag. A poor decision on my part. Ever since, I’ve wanted another Tikka Rifle. Just never found the model/chambering combo I wanted. 
Fast forward many years and Ernie offered to sell me his Tikka in 6.5x55 Swedish with a catch……..it’s left handed. 
Hell yeah!  I can shoot left handed. Or right. No matter!  We decided to wait until he came down to hunt. Causing me into impatiently wait many months. But, it finally came. 
I had one week left in the MLD-Permit season and had some monolithic bullets to terminal performance test for a new bullet company. 
So, Ernie and I quickly threw together a SWAG load and hit the range. 

I love Tikka Rifles!!!  That would do for a throw together load. Now to kill a deer and test the bullet. 
Well, long story short, that bullet design didn’t work. I hit her twice. Once at 150 quartering towards (which I couldn’t tell) and between the angle and the trigger catching me by surprise in the awkward shooting position and rapid shot…..the shot caught the back of the on side lung and liver. She ran and I hit her again behind the shoulders on a broadside shot at 200 yards. She still didn’t die. Running further and then eventually laying down at the edge of brush with her head up in failing light…….by the time I snuck up on her with a .223 Rem, she had expired. 5 minutes after the initial shot. 

The hole you see is the exit from my second shot. Both rounds penciled through like an ice pick doing virtually no damage. At least, not enough for a quick demise. 
So, the rifle did well. The bullets are going back for redesign. And I have a Tikka again. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    edited March 3 #2
    Thats a good looking rifle that is a shooter.  Its unfortunate the bullet didnt perform, but thats part of testing.  I think I could learn to shoot a rifle left handed it I had an option of a rifle like that one.

I still have not shot mine, but its in a cartridge that I find boring to me.  I just dont get excited about .308 Win.

A Tikka in 6.5x55, especially with a wood stock, should be a very useful hunting tool.  Not much I am likely to hunt again that I couldnt use a 6.5x55 for.

I threw together a quick load with a Nosler 140gr CC to get my M98 6.5x55 on paper and it produced a 5 shot group under an inch.  6.5x55 is a fairly forgiving cartridge with a lot of bullets.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,567 Senior Member
    Nice rifle!

But...can you shoot the left handed rifle right handed? I know it's wrong, but that's what I do with all of my right handed rifles (shoot them left handed). Every left handed rifle I handle feels awkward...
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,562 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    Nice rifle!

But...can you shoot the left handed rifle right handed? I know it's wrong, but that's what I do with all of my right handed rifles (shoot them left handed). Every left handed rifle I handle feels awkward...
    Yes, I shot it right handed. It doesn’t have a raised cheek piece. So, the only difference is the side the bolt is on. 
    mitdr774 said:
    Thats a good looking rifle that is a shooter.  Its unfortunate the bullet didnt perform, but thats part of testing.  I think I could learn to shoot a rifle left handed it I had an option of a rifle like that one.

I still have not shot mine, but its in a cartridge that I find boring to me.  I just dont get excited about .308 Win.

A Tikka in 6.5x55, especially with a wood stock, should be a very useful hunting tool.  Not much I am likely to hunt again that I couldnt use a 6.5x55 for.

I threw together a quick load with a Nosler 140gr CC to get my M98 6.5x55 on paper and it produced a 5 shot group under an inch.  6.5x55 is a fairly forgiving cartridge with a lot of bullets.
    The wood stock and chamber were the immediate draw. 

I’ve tested  5 bullets in 4 cartridges. All the like designed bullets as this failed in terminal performance. The one amazing bullet was designed differently. The company is going to make the others like the successful one and send them to me to play with. 
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    Excellent!!   I love the look of your Tikka.  (All of mine are in synthetic/stainless as they get a fair amount of abuse/hard work. :')
    Congratulations for your new aquisition, I know you will be pleased with it..

Btw, I read your and Ernies posts re his recent trip. Sounds like you two had an awesome time together. Been a bit busy lately and havent had much time to be on here.
    Your comments on head shots were right on target ( pun intended)  
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Thanks. I was thinking of you as I typed as I knew head/neck was your forte. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,398 Senior Member
    An insanely accurate 6.5 Swede?  I'm SHOCKED!  ;)

Some of you may remember Kenfu1911, my brother from another mother.  Right handed, but his right eye has some issues that force him to run a long gun lefty.  The man has gotten VERY good at running a RH bolt with his right hand while the left hand keeps the butt screwed onto his left shoulder.  Might be that a mirror image of the same technique is the trick for that rifle?

Bummer on the prototype bullets.  He's got the accuracy thing down at least, but "Lingering Demise" is not a great trade name. :s
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    edited March 4 #9
    One of the .224 bullets worked amazingly. Ernie took two pigs with it. I shot 3 deer and had two other folks take a deer with them. 

The company is going to redesign the other bullets similar to that .224 bullet. 

Accuracy wise, the other .224 bullet ( they sent me two types) shot amazingly accurately but sucked in terminal. 

But, all this is for another thread I’ll start on the mono bullets. 
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    I am glad Zee has this rifle, as it suffered great neglect in my hands.
    I doubt I even ran 50 rounds thought it.
    The only time I shot it, was a number of years ago for a article on ballistic reticles.  I had some 123 grain Scenar bullets, that I knew I had no use for and loaded them up, using a hunting scope.  I shot it out to 500 yards, but no further on steel.  Mac's Gunworks lightened the trigger for me, and that is the only mod to the rifle.  I am curious to see what it will do with a 140 grain or 147 grain ELD-M in terms of accuracy. 
    I know what the terminal performance will be like, in that it should outrun the the Creed and the 260 Remington. 
    Hopefully between the 260 and the 6.5-284.
    Given it's long throat, the 147 grain ELD-M should be the cat's meow.
    Since he has Lapua brass as well, he might be able to run it a tad harder (if he so desires) than he could with other brass.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    I run Lapua or Fiocchi brass in my 6.5x55s.  I have not really pushed them as hard as Zee is likely to push his, but I have stepped out of bounds a little with two of them.  I will push one of them further given it is on a M98 action and not a M96 like the other two.   Even the Nolser 140 CC load I tried at 2700 fps (book safe, but im sure well above the pressure a M96 was ever intended to handle as a normal load) did not show any signs of pressure.  This may be due to good brass, or maybe just due to the pressure being within safe limits.  Loaded to equal pressure the old Swede should outrun the .260 and the 6.5CM though.

I do look forward to seeing what he does with this rifle for speed, accuracy, and on game performance.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,235 Senior Member
    Glad you got to scratch that itch and the rifle performs as expected.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Going to order so Talley Rings for the rifle. The rings that came with it have already stripped out trying to mount the Nikon scope I had. 
    Bigslug said:
    An insanely accurate 6.5 Swede?  I'm SHOCKED!  ;)

Some of you may remember Kenfu1911, my brother from another mother.  Right handed, but his right eye has some issues that force him to run a long gun lefty.  The man has gotten VERY good at running a RH bolt with his right hand while the left hand keeps the butt screwed onto his left shoulder.  Might be that a mirror image of the same technique is the trick for that rifle?

Bummer on the prototype bullets.  He's got the accuracy thing down at least, but "Lingering Demise" is not a great trade name. :s

I don’t even remember running the bolt between the first and second shot. It was a contorted and awkward position. Hell, I was bent over resting my right elbow on Ernie's thigh!!!  Wait……..that doesn’t sound right………
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    Zee said:
     Hell, I was bent over resting my right elbow on Ernie's thigh!!!  Wait……..that doesn’t sound right………
    Ha!
    What happened to the guy that once said something like " The only time men should touch each other is when they are passing ammunition" ?
    ;)

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    we got personal a couple of times for the sake of the hunt…
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    orchidman said:
    Zee said:
     Hell, I was bent over resting my right elbow on Ernie's thigh!!!  Wait……..that doesn’t sound right………
    Ha!
    What happened to the guy that once said something like " The only time men should touch each other is when they are passing ammunition" ?
    ;)

Technically, still shooting related. So the addendum allows for the contact.
    Zee said:
    Going to order so Talley Rings for the rifle. The rings that came with it have already stripped out trying to mount the Nikon scope I had. 
    Well that sucks… Well the Talley will be a great improvement!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Oh yeah!!  

He grabbed my ass once too. For awhile!!  Both hands. Both cheeks. 

It’s alright, though. We didn’t make eye contact. 
    Zee said:
    Oh yeah!!  

Hummmmm, did you smile? 🤔
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Zee said:
    Oh yeah!!  

At your request….
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

edited March 5 #24
    Bigslug said:
    Zee said:
    Oh yeah!!  

That happens when we get older - your built in rifle rest is no longer as supportive as it used to be.

I think he was probably adjusting the bags for the sake of a clean kill.
    In truth, I needed to stand on top of a fencing H-Brace to gain height and see down into tall grass while looking for a pig. I couldn’t hold my balance standing on the rail……….so I asked Ernie if he would hold me up. 
    No ho-mo. It worked. 

And I thought it was kinda funny. 
    It was both funny and practical. 
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,398 Senior Member
    It was necessary for him to grab your ass to keep you elevated.  Got it. 

A jackrabbit with a cell phone would have a GREAT blackmail photo!  :D

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,697 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

Zee could use it on his OnlyFans page......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    edited March 6 #28
    jbp-ohio said:
    Bigslug said:

By the way, this month is due. 😎

You’re late!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,697 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    jbp-ohio said:
    Bigslug said:

You’re late!
    Between you, Chris, Jeremy, and Bryant, I'm nearly broke. Can I get a freebie?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio said:
    Zee said:
    jbp-ohio said:
    Bigslug said:

You’re late!
    Between you, Chris, Jeremy, and Bryant, I'm nearly broke. Can I get a freebie?

11.2oz trigger!!