Home Main Category Hunting

For those planning to make the Colorado forum elk hunt this year

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 7,745 Senior Member
Season dates and fees have been set. The printed brochures won't be available until mid-February, but you can check out season dates and fees now from the following web pages.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/HUNTING/Pages/Hunting.aspx

and

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Education/pdf/HunterEducation/HuntPlanner.pdf

Over The Counter (OTC) bull elk tags are available in a number of Game Management Units (GMUs), including the area I know (521), and (I think) the area that Dan knows (551). There is also a GMU, 54, that will be offering first come/first serve OTC cow elk tags for the second season. For that unit, there will be a cap on cow elk tags, but I don't know what it will be.

You can wait to buy your tags when you get here as long as you do so before midnight before the day the season starts. Once a season starts, you can't buy a tag for that season. You can also buy early online if you prefer.

Fees for non-residents are $351 for cow elk, and $576 for bull elk. For residents, it's $46 for either. Regardless of whether you are resident or non-resident, you also have to purchase a $10 habitat stamp.

I THINK that all deer hunting is by draw, and that there are no OTC tags available for deer. However, there may be some GMUs that are easy draws. Typically, though, the easy draw deer areas are not in areas that hold a lot of elk. If you want to hunt deer, contact me off-line and we can discuss it.

Season dates for elk are as follows. These are all center fire rifle seasons. There are earlier archery and muzzle loading seasons, but I will not be posting those.

early elk only season - Oct 13-17
Combined deer/elk - second season - Oct 20-28
Combined deer/elk - third season - Nov 3-11
Combined deer/elk - fourth season - Nov 14-18

It's VERY POSSIBLE that I have mistyped something, so check the web pages to make sure you have the facts.

I am recommending one of the first two seasons. By November, the high country will probably have deep snow and be hard to hunt. Even in mid to late October, you can get into some nasty weather. Temps may be in the single digits at dawn, and in the 60s by mid-day. You just never know.

One thing that Dan and I have discussed is splitting the hunt. If there are enough people who want to hunt, it may make more sense to hunt out of two camps, even two different GMUs. The earlier we know who and how many are coming, the better we can plan.

Now is the time to start thinking about this, and asking any questions you have. You should also realize that the statewide success rate for elk in OTC areas is about 20%. Please come with that in mind.

As for me, I plan on making an elk hunt with whoever shows up and have a blast.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,702 Senior Member
    Hey do you have any idea if Military gets in state? Here in Texas all you have to do is walk in to a Wal-Mart or other store, show your ID, and you get a free license (no checking if you're a resident). I'm assuming that's not how it goes, but $46 down from $300-something makes the trip way easier for me to pull off.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,745 Senior Member
    Hey do you have any idea if Military gets in state? Here in Texas all you have to do is walk in to a Wal-Mart or other store, show your ID, and you get a free license (no checking if you're a resident). I'm assuming that's not how it goes, but $46 down from $300-something makes the trip way easier for me to pull off.

According to the following web page, out of state military members don't get resident rates. Here's the web page where I got that information.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/MilitaryBenefits/Pages/MilitaryBenefits.aspx
    Jerry

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    I am recommending one of the first two seasons. By November, the high country will probably have deep snow and be hard to hunt. Even in mid to late October, you can get into some nasty weather. Temps may be in the single digits at dawn, and in the 60s by mid-day. You just never know.

Jerry, FYI Dont know how it was when you hunted but here (Georgetown) we had more snow durring the 2ed season than we had for the 3ed in GMU 521.
    Asyou said "you just never know"
    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Jerry, FYI Dont know how it was when you hunted but here (Georgetown) we had more snow durring the 2ed season than we had for the 3ed in GMU 521.
    Asyou said "you just never know"
    JAY

As I recall, Jay, it snowed during second season but there was still a lot of snow on the ground during third. Elevations as low as 7-8k ft had about a foot of standing snow.
    Jerry

SS3, when you're done with your schooling and start active duty, you may want to look into being stationed at Ft. Carson. It's a huge military base just south of Colorado Springs, and offers excellent deer and elk hunting. All hunting is by draw, and the military has some pretty strict regulations on when you can hunt. Typically, it's during Thanksgiving or Christmas break only.

I've hunted it once, and took a decent 4 pt. buck. I know others who have taken huge deer, and there are also some nice bull elk on it.

Just something to consider.
    Jerry

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    It's probably a good time to remind everyone that they must have a hunters safety card to buy a license in Colorado, unless you were born before 1949.
    jbohio wrote: »
    It's probably a good time to remind everyone that they must have a hunters safety card to buy a license in Colorado, unless you were born before 1949.

Excellent point!

Thanks for bringing it up.
    Jerry

JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Excellent point!

Thanks for bringing it up.

You're quite welcome.

I read (tried) to read through the CO hunting laws/rules again, makes my head hurt.
    What I was looking for, the section where ( I thought) that 1st rifle is either draw only, or CO resident only. Couldn't find it.
    Also, where it talks about cow tags being draw only for rifle (I thought). I see where it has draw codes for the GMU's for cow tags, but it also has codes to draw for bull tags, in OTC areas.

Basically, trying to decipher the CO rules SUCKS! They're not as bad as WY, but still a convoluted mess.
    I read them every year, and have for the last 8-9 years, and still can barely make any sense out of it.

Are you thinking about doing a party draw, once you get a grasp on the numbers, and area?
    JB, the deadline for drawing is April 3, I think. Any applicatons for a party hunt has to be in, with payment from all party members, by then. Also, for party draws, the number of preference points allowed would be determined by the person in the party with the LEAST amount. I suspect that there will be those who want to make the hunt who don't even know what a preference point is, much less have one. So, that's probably not a good plan.

What I and Dan have tried to do is zero in on areas that offer OTC bull tags. There are a number of those. There are also some areas that are strictly draw areas, as well as areas where cow tags are draw only, but bull tags are otc.

I'm familiar with GMU 521 and Dan is familiar with either GMU 55 or 551. GMU 54 is the only area on the western slope (west of the continental divide) that is offering OTC cow elk tags. I'm not familiar with it, but thought I would mention it in case there were a lot of people who are just after meat and don't care about horns. If there is enough interest in it, I will try to find out more about it, and may even try to make a trip or two to that area when the weather is better.

I won't argue that Colorado hunting regulations are a mess. You can't just buy a tag/license and go hunting. Your tag has to be for a specific season/animal/sex and so on. That is why I have posted this now.

NOTE: I have edited this reply. I initially stated that the deadline for the draw was April 13. That is wrong. It is April 3.
    Jerry

Oh, I'm with you Jerry. It takes a lot of planning.

So, basically, we're shooting for second rifle? I'd like to start watching plane tickets.

Unless there's someone(s) from this neck of the woods that wants to car pool.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    OK I'll check it out and see so I can make sure I'm available on those dates.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Season dates and fees have been set. The printed brochures won't be available until mid-February, but you can check out season dates and fees now from the following web pages.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/HUNTING/Pages/Hunting.aspx

and

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Education/pdf/HunterEducation/HuntPlanner.pdf

Over The Counter (OTC) bull elk tags are available in a number of Game Management Units (GMUs), including the area I know (521), and (I think) the area that Dan knows (551). There is also a GMU, 54, that will be offering first come/first serve OTC cow elk tags for the second season. For that unit, there will be a cap on cow elk tags, but I don't know what it will be.

You can wait to buy your tags when you get here as long as you do so before midnight before the day the season starts. Once a season starts, you can't buy a tag for that season. You can also buy early online if you prefer.

Fees for non-residents are $351 for cow elk, and $576 for bull elk. For residents, it's $46 for either. Regardless of whether you are resident or non-resident, you also have to purchase a $10 habitat stamp.

I THINK that all deer hunting is by draw, and that there are no OTC tags available for deer. However, there may be some GMUs that are easy draws. Typically, though, the easy draw deer areas are not in areas that hold a lot of elk. If you want to hunt deer, contact me off-line and we can discuss it.

Season dates for elk are as follows. These are all center fire rifle seasons. There are earlier archery and muzzle loading seasons, but I will not be posting those.

early elk only season - Oct 13-17
    Combined deer/elk - second season - Oct 20-28
    Combined deer/elk - third season - Nov 3-11
    Combined deer/elk - fourth season - Nov 14-18

It's VERY POSSIBLE that I have mistyped something, so check the web pages to make sure you have the facts.

One thing that Dan and I have discussed is splitting the hunt. If there are enough people who want to hunt, it may make more sense to hunt out of two camps, even two different GMUs. The earlier we know who and how many are coming, the better we can plan.

Now is the time to start thinking about this, and asking any questions you have. You should also realize that the statewide success rate for elk in OTC areas is about 20%. Please come with that in mind.

As for me, I plan on making an elk hunt with whoever shows up and have a blast.

Jerry, being this is all new to me, what would be the best possibility for success? Cow or Bull? I know this is a stupid question and I would normally say Cow, but then you never know and sure as hell I say that and choose accordingly it will be Bull.

I'm mixed up a little too. I thought that Cow tags had to be drawn and only Bulls would be OTC. Please straighten me out.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Jerry, being this is all new to me, what would be the best possibility for success? Cow or Bull? I know this is a stupid question and I would normally say Cow, but then you never know and sure as hell I say that and choose accordingly it will be Bull.

I'm mixed up a little too. I thought that Cow tags had to be drawn and only Bulls would be OTC. Please straighten me out.

You're best chance of success is probably with a cow or either sex tag. I'm not aware of any either sex tags, so I would say cow. However, as they say, your mileage may vary.

Last fall, I had a bull tag and Linefinder had a cow tag. I filled my, but we never saw a cow. If he had had a bull tag, we would have both taken nice bulls.

Hope this helps.
    Jerry

Yeah I guess I thought there was going to be an easy straight forward answer, LOL!!! OK Well what are you going for this year? And I would bet the cow will be superior table fare, but I'm probably wrong about that too. But thanks for all your effort in trying to help us and putting this dream hunt together. This will be a dream come true for me anyhow.
    FYI, the printed version of the 2012 Colorado Big Game regulations is now available. I got mine in the mail earlier this week.

If you're out of state and want one, you can probably go to one of the web pages posted in my initial post and order one.
    Jerry

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    I do believe 1st and 4th are draw only now. I am pretty sure OTC bull tags are gone for 1st as of 2 years ago.

54 is a pretty decent area, bit hard to draw for bulls and its managed more as a future trophy area. So OTC cow tags are interesting. I know they do a B License cow hunt in December in 54. Good area area, just north and east of Gunnison, some easy and very tough terrain mixed in. Hell I'd be open to hunting 54 over 551!

I'll just put this out there, no one is getting a deer tag in these areas. 521, 551, 54 and the surrounding areas take several years of built up points to draw. Hell I have 6 points and I still didn't draw the least desirable season last year in 551. That is how big the bucks are lol.

Snake you are MUCH, MUCH, MUUUUUUCH more likely to fill a cow tag vs a bull tag. We are hunting several weeks to a month + past the rut. Once the rut is done, bulls head for the deepest, darkest, nastiest, most Mordor-esque parts of the hills they can find, usually alone, and stay put until deep into winter. Yes you might find a few legal bulls hanging around groups in the 3rd season....but 1st and 2nd can be tough. Unless, the rut runs late, you MIGHT still find a dumb horny bull or two, but you are dealing with the most hunting pressure out of all the seasons because most of the elk hunters that come here are frankly pansies and want to hunt the easy warm seasons instead of investing in some good fleece and under armor and trekking through the snow. Is what it is. But still, even with a cow tag, you are not looking at probably better then 30-35% odds.

SSS3,

No special love for military, sorry.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I guess it's a cow tag for me then. I don't know where I got it, but I could have sworn one of you said that OTC was bull tags only. But yeah, if I can get a cow tag OTC I'm for it. If cow elk eat like Doe Whitetail, bring it on!!!
    snake284 wrote: »
    . I don't know where I got it, but I could have sworn one of you said that OTC was bull tags only. But yeah, if I can get a cow tag OTC I'm for it. If cow elk eat like Doe Whitetail, bring it on!!!
    You're right.
    GMU 54 is the ONLY area you can hunt and get an OTC cow tag. And ONLY in 2nd rifle season. With caps. It's a new thing this year, I believe. All the rest of the cow tags are draw only.
    Bull tags are OTC in 92 GMU's.

GMU 54 sounds interesting, with OTC cow tags. However, my guess is that it'll be wall to wall hunters in there. Everybody, from everywhere who didn't get in the draw will be heading there to grab an OTC tag and that equals last minute, road hunters. 2nd rifle is also the most popular season, it's the best weather.

Jerry and Dan would know better than I. But my elk hunting endeavors have have taught me that if it's easy, there'll be a ton of people there.
    cow tags are not normally OTC, that is a special deal in unit 54 IF we hunt that. However, there are left over tags, in August. Most of the time, there are plenty of cow tags left, and you can go into the CDOW or call them (not sure if you can do left overs online) and just buy one of the limited draw tags, that wasn't drawn. There is no guarantee that there will be cow or either sex tags left, but, for the most part bull tags ARE unlimited, and are actually good in dozens of units. Outside of some special restriction areas, a bull tag is a bull tag and its good statewide for your selected season. And a bull MUST have at least 4 points on one side to be legal. In Colorado spikes are pretty much shooters unless their spikes are under 5" which would make them that years calf.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    54 is a BIG area, and there is a lot of good terrain, and a lot of elk are taken there every year. It IS rather popular, but heck really ANY unit in 2nd and 3rd season are quite popular.

Ok I just double checked, for 2nd season only, unit 54 is OTC with a cap, for either sex tags. 3rd season is OTC bull only tags. This honestly might not be a bad idea, IF people get in on them before they sell out. With an either sex tag, the ONLY animals you could not shot would be spikes with greater then 5" spikes, and any bulls that only have 1-3 points max on either side. Although this is rare, usually they go from small spike, to large spike, to 3 or 4 points. Sometimes they'll fork young, but not often.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Education/pdf/HunterEducation/OTCRifleElk.pdf
    Is that part of the area where they're trying to reduce the Gunnsion herd? My FIL keeps me updated, he's been telling me how that herd is way overpopulated, and the ranchers are going nuts.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,822 Senior Member
    I may have missed it somewhere but have we settled on a season and unit yet for this adventure?

Sako
    Ok now looking at the regs book, it seems 54 2nd season is cow only.....I'm going to have to dig deeper on this. The bonus though, is that it appears ALL cow tags in 54, in any season, are B licenses, which means you could have 2. You could have 1 A and 1 B or 2 B's and technically harvest up to 2 animals. I know this is where they do a late season hunt I was supposed to do last year but wasn't able to make it. From what I am reading online about 54 for elk, it seems to be a solid area, with a mix of easy access and harder access, with the crowds sticking to the lower, flatter stuff on the western side just north of Blue Mesa Reservoir. There are some wilderness areas up above that, and I read some stuff about Rainbow Lakes, which takes a 4x4 and about 35 minutes to get to from the Elk Creek Marina camp group down on Blue Mesa. Wasn't a particularly tough road at all IIRC
    sakodude wrote: »
    I may have missed it somewhere but have we settled on a season and unit yet for this adventure?

Sako

Not to my knowledge, Tom. This is the main reason I started this post now. I wanted as much information out as possible before we make a decision. The application deadline is April 3 (I think I stated April 13 in my original post).

Also, some of the information that is now available was not available when I made my initial post. Now that the complete game regs are available, it's easier to make an informed decision.

I'll have to do more checking, but it appears that one may be able to buy both an OTC bull tag as well as an OTC cow tag for second season in unit 54. This may not appeal to out of state hunters, as it will be about $900 in tag fees. For us residents, though, it may be just the way to go, and something I will give a lot of consideration to.
    Jerry

jbohio wrote: »
    Is that part of the area where they're trying to reduce the Gunnsion herd? My FIL keeps me updated, he's been telling me how that herd is way overpopulated, and the ranchers are going nuts.

Yes, this is correct. As well they have been "trying" to reduce the herd to the units just East of Gunnison, which is where I normally hunt. And I say "trying" because they had a short lived late cow season, and now allow a 2nd B license cow in 4th season.....both on private land only. Rather stupid, and it didn't do any good at all.
    BTW, looking at all this new info now, I'd be game to throw my vote in on 54. Both of my families cabins are very close to 54, and one cousin usually spends most of his summer up there, so the ability for me to get some scouting in is rather easy.
    cpj wrote: »
    Here, I have translated this back to the native Greek:

Εντάξει τώρα κοιτάζοντας το βιβλίο regs, φαίνεται 54 2η σεζόν είναι μόνο αγελάδα ..... Πάω να πρέπει να σκάψει βαθύτερα σε αυτό. Το επίδομα όμως, είναι ότι φαίνεται όλες οι ετικέτες αγελάδα σε 54, σε οποιαδήποτε εποχή, είναι Β άδειες, που σημαίνει ότι θα μπορούσατε να έχετε 2. Θα μπορούσατε να έχετε 1 Α και 1 Β 2 ή Β και τεχνικά συγκομιδή μέχρι 2 ζώα. Ξέρω ότι αυτό είναι που κάνουν μέχρι αργά κυνήγι εποχή μου έπρεπε να κάνει πέρυσι, αλλά δεν ήταν σε θέση να το κάνει. Από ό, τι διαβάζω σε απευθείας σύνδεση για περίπου 54 άλκες, φαίνεται να είναι μια σταθερή περιοχή, με ένα μείγμα από την εύκολη πρόσβαση και δυσκολότερη πρόσβαση, με τα πλήθη να κολλήσει το χαμηλότερο, κολακεύουν τα πράγματα στη δυτική πλευρά βόρεια της Blue Μέσα Reservoir. Υπάρχουν μερικές περιοχές άγριας φύσης από πάνω ότι, και διάβασα κάποια πράγματα για το Ουράνιο Τόξο Λιμνών, η οποία παίρνει ένα 4x4 και περίπου 35 λεπτά για να φτάσετε από το Elk Creek Marina ομάδα στρατόπεδο κάτω Μπλε Μέσα. Δεν ήταν μια ιδιαίτερα σκληρή δρόμο σε όλα τα IIRC

Phoenician, actually.
    it seems to be a solid area, with a mix of easy access and harder access, with the crowds sticking to the lower, flatter stuff on the western side just north of Blue Mesa Reservoir. There are some wilderness areas up above that, and I read some stuff about Rainbow Lakes, which takes a 4x4 and about 35 minutes to get to from the Elk Creek Marina camp group down on Blue Mesa. Wasn't a particularly tough road at all IIRC

Hey, I've been there! We went and trout fished at Blue Mesa a couple times. IIRC, we tried to go up into Rainbow Lakes, but it was spring, and the road was muddy and washed pretty bad, so we didn't chance it.
    That's a pretty nice area, from what I remember.
    Ok now looking at the regs book, it seems 54 2nd season is cow only.....I'm going to have to dig deeper on this. The bonus though, is that it appears ALL cow tags in 54, in any season, are B licenses, which means you could have 2. You could have 1 A and 1 B or 2 B's and technically harvest up to 2 animals. I know this is where they do a late season hunt I was supposed to do last year but wasn't able to make it. From what I am reading online about 54 for elk, it seems to be a solid area, with a mix of easy access and harder access, with the crowds sticking to the lower, flatter stuff on the western side just north of Blue Mesa Reservoir. There are some wilderness areas up above that, and I read some stuff about Rainbow Lakes, which takes a 4x4 and about 35 minutes to get to from the Elk Creek Marina camp group down on Blue Mesa. Wasn't a particularly tough road at all IIRC

If you pick 54 it sounds like you will make me happy. That's what I'm looking for, a cow tag. I don't guess any place worth going is going to be too easy, but I have resigned myself to being prepared for a little bit of hell.
    I'm going to check out a map this weekend, and try to talk to my 2 cousins who know the area 10x better then I do and see what they think. I really want to check out 54 because I really want to do the late season hunt there if I don't end up filling a tag. I also want to check out the deer situation there, as I'm just going to take a point this year and 99% likely NOT put in for an actual tag. I'm about to get to the point that I can think about drawing some of the most coveted mule deer tags in the world outside of the Kaibab Strip hunts in AZ....or some of the soon to be most coveted white tail tags in the world on the Eastern Plains, where a 170" whitey isn't unheard of.