Home Main Category Hunting

For those planning to make the Colorado forum elk hunt this year

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Well, it looks like I went from Magnum poor to Magnum rich in a few months time. My friend in AA has a Wby Mark V in 300 WBY MAG. I'll probably buy. Then I'll have two magnums to take on the hunt. The 300 Mag. WBY has a brake on it too and I'm thinking of putting one on the 7 Mag. The P.A.S.T. solved the pain part of the problem, but the 7 mag and the .270 both jump quite a bit and I think a brake would settle them both down.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    No pansy footing around on that one Mike! Brake or not, you gotta push Weatherby cartridges hard to make run their best.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,745 Senior Member
    I just now took a close look at the hunting regs. From what I can tell, GMU 54 is offering OTC EITHER SEX elk tag WITH CAPS for the second rifle season.

I don't know how hard it may be to get one of these, or how early you will have to purchase them.

If you have questions, call the DOW at 303-297-1192. I'm going to try to do that later this week.

[edit]

OTC Licenses with caps, such as the either sex elk license in GMU 54 for 2nd season, will be available starting July 10 at 9 a.m. MST on a first come, first server basis. They can be purchased online, by phone (800-244-5163) or from licensed agents. Best I can tell, cost for an either-sex license is the same as that for a bull license.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Jerry you are right, an either costs the same as a bull for the non-res guys. If I read everything correctly, this is the ONLY tag available for 2nd rifle in 54, yes?
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Jerry you are right, an either costs the same as a bull for the non-res guys. If I read everything correctly, this is the ONLY tag available for 2nd rifle in 54, yes?

It looks like you're right, Dan. You can apply for cow tag, take your chances with getting an either sex tag, or go somewhere else. On page 32 of the hunting regs, there is a note that specifically states that in GMU 54 "No bull licenses in the second season."

You need a PHD in reading bureaucratic BS to figure all of this out.

FWIW, I just spoke to a lady in the Gunnison CDOW field office. She told me that the caps for either sex tags for 2nd season for GMU 54 have not yet been set. Last year, it was set at 500, and she thinks it will be about the same this year. Also, last year, these tags sold out within a week of them becoming available.

Someone else who is more familiar with this gmu will be calling me back later today. I'll update this thread as I know more.
    Jerry

Within a week? Oh that is no problem! If everyone who is seriously, absolutely, 100% certain, going to attend...if they call on the first day or two, everyone will get a tag. Stinks for the non-res guys to pony up the cash for a bull tag and possibly shoot a cow, but then again....anyone checked non-res costs in other elk states? You'd be talking into the thousands lol

I'm still curious about those cow tags being listed as a B for 54. That almost makes me wonder about being able to BUY an either with caps, and pick up a left over cow only B.
    I'm still curious about those cow tags being listed as a B for 54. That almost makes me wonder about being able to BUY an either with caps, and pick up a left over cow only B.

If you figure it out, let me know.

Here's what I think it means, though. If you apply for a cow only tag, which is by drawing only, and get one, you are still eligible to buy an OTC either sex tag starting July 10. Or, if there are left over cow tags, you can buy an OTC either sex tag as well as a left over cow tag.

As for paying the price for a bull tag and taking how a cow, I guess it's a matter of what you want. If you would prefer to go home empty handed as opposed to taking a cow, that's always an option.
    Jerry

Well for us in state guys, 2 cows, 1 cow/1bull, same price. For our "foreign" friends....thats a couple hundred bucks.

Maybe I should put it this way for the non-res guys....if you happened to beat the odds and kill a cow AND bull....you are looking at nearly 1000lbs of processing....at around 1$ per pound. And probably 500+lbs of meat to take back. 500lbs is a whole lot of meat for anything but the biggest families, unless you don't shoot any other wild game that year and don't buy any beef haha.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    One money for an either sex tag is awfully enticing. Especially in rifle season.
    I'd be happy with any elk. I'd be really interested to know what you find out about the B license, my FIL will for sure go if he could pick up a cow tag.
    I'd have to buy three or four of the big Igloo 150 quart marine coolers. But that could happen. Besides, I already have one. Spend another $120 for two more.
    How is elk meat in smoked link sausage?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I'd have to buy three or four of the big Igloo 150 quart marine coolers. But that could happen. Besides, I already have one. Spend another $120 for two more.
    How is elk meat in smoked link sausage?
    The way a lot of people do it, throw a small chest freezer in the back of the truck. Even if you have to buy it, you still have a useful freezer at the end, and the small ones don't cost more than a couple good Igloo coolers. Just plug it in whenever you're near power, it'll keep cold for a good while.
    I thought about that, and take my wife's pickup (because it wouldn't fit well in my Suburban) and I can actually get a Woods brand at Home Depot for about the same price as two coolers. But I don't have a place for another freezer here at the house. And the one I have is plenty big even for an elk. I can always use the Igloos though and I can store them out in the shed when not using them. Also, they will normally hold a whole hog when skinned and field dressed. And actually we fish more than hunt and they are ideal for taking on the boat my son runs. They make great boat seats too!!! LOL!

I'm not sure yet. Maybe I can make a deal with a friend who would want a freezer and sell it to him when I'm finished at a discount. I'd still come out ahead.
    The trick it to not shoot one way back in the boonies. If you do, you might as well pitch camp and start cooking. You may just have to eat it to get it out.

Or so I hear. :)
    Jerry

I have an update on the GMU 54 either sex elk tags for 2nd rifle season.

HAVE ALL OF YOUR HUNTER SAFETY INFO, CID, ETC. AVAILABLE BEFORE HAND. GET ON THE CDOW'S MAILING LIST AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL OF YOUR DUCKS IN A ROW BEFORE APPLYING FOR A TAG. YOU DON'T WANT TO BE FIGURING THIS OUT WHEN YOU APPLY AND LOSE VALUABLE TIME GETTING YOUR APPLICATION IN.

THERE WILL BE 500 OTC EITHER SEX TAGS AVAILABLE THIS YEAR. LAST YEAR, THERE WERE 500 AND THEY SOLD OUT IN 3-4 HOURS. YOU CAN APPLY VIA PHONE, ONLINE OR AT A TICKET AGENT.

Now, I'll stop shouting.

I spoke to a very nice lady named Kathleen who works for the CDOW in the Gunnison office. She grew up in Gunnison and has hunted GMU 54 all her life, and has even taken a big horn ram from that unit. That should give you an idea as to how rugged and high this country is. Elevations range from 7800 to 12000 ft. above sea level, and much of the country is roadless.

If you want to hunt this unit, GET IN SHAPE!!!! If you are not already working on it, now would be a good time to start.

Per Kathleen, one's chance at success depends on the weather. If it's hot and dry, which is not that unusual, the elk will be high and in dark timber, and hard to get at. If we happen to get an early, heavy snow, it may be a lot easier. Regardless, plan on doing a lot of walking, probably in the neighborhood of 3-5 miles per day.

There are a number of forest service trail heads that can be a good place to start a day's hunt. You can drive to these, and then get out and walk the trail. There may be a lot of other vehicles parked at a trailhead, but once you get up the trail a ways, you're not likely to see many other hunters. There's nothing that says you have to stay on the trail once you start on it.

As for tags, one can apply for a cow tag (deadline is April 3), and, even if successful, get an either sex tag if you are one of the first 500 to apply. So, if you are committed to hunting this area, you can get 2 tags. That's a lot of elk to eat, though.

There are a number of forest service camp grounds, as well as some areas that would accomodate a rough camp. Kathleen recommended that one get a national forest service map of the Gunnison Basin (I already have one) to get an idea of where things are. Much of the entries into this area are from hwys 50 and 92. Also, on the western edge of this gmu, there are 3 other gmus that meet at one point. So, if we hunt near that area, we have to be aware of where the boundaries lie. Shooting an elk in the wrong gmu will get you a ticket, even if it is by mistake.

That's all I have for now. Unless someone wants to get in on the drawing, we have until July 10 at 9 a.m. mountain time to decide.

If you have questions, please let me know.
    Jerry

snake284 wrote: »
    I thought about that, and take my wife's pickup (because it wouldn't fit well in my Suburban) and I can actually get a Woods brand at Home Depot for about the same price as two coolers. But I don't have a place for another freezer here at the house. And the one I have is plenty big even for an elk. I can always use the Igloos though and I can store them out in the shed when not using them. Also, they will normally hold a whole hog when skinned and field dressed. And actually we fish more than hunt and they are ideal for taking on the boat my son runs. They make great boat seats too!!! LOL!

I'm not sure yet. Maybe I can make a deal with a friend who would want a freezer and sell it to him when I'm finished at a discount. I'd still come out ahead.

By the freezer, heck arrange to drive up to Colorado and buy the freezer, use it to get an animal back, when you get home transfer your elk into your big cooler, put the smaller new cooler on craigslist. Voila!
    Wow Jerry thanks a bunch!! Great work!

I'm going to skip putting in for a cow, and bank on getting the E/S tag. This way I'm still able to possibly get another B cow tag for 54 in the late December season.

So fella's.....does it look like we are going to settle on 2nd rifle in 54?? There are a LOT of good things about 54...its close to the major highway in and out of the western slope (Hwy 50), it is very close to Gunnison (supplies, gear, perishable food items, GAS, processors) has some great, but rugged country, some nice places to whet a whistle or get a bite to eat on an off day, some excellent fishing...not to mention at that time I THINK the CDOW will be doing their kokanee harvests, if so, I think its on Friday mornings you can go get in line if you have a fishing license (even a 1 or 5 day) and get 10 salmon for free. A quick drive up Hwy 40 towards Crested Butte and you might get a chance to see mountain goats. Oh, you could also make the drive all the way up to Crested Butte, and gander at that former 100 year old world record elk!
    I wonder if you can get in there from the north side, kinda E of Crawford? Castle Rock Area? Fruitland Mesa? We see TONS of mulies up on Fruitland mesa. We go up and poke around in that area quite a bit, Black Canyon, Fruitland mesa. The Black Canyon is super rugged, but the Fruitland mesa area is pretty nice. Crested Butte, YIKES! Looks like Coal Mountain is smack dab in the middle. I do see some scattered ranches in the area, and Soap Creek campground is in there, way up.
    JB, you need to get a copy of the game regs and a map of Colorado. The game regs have maps of the entire state and shows where all of the GMUs are. They also contain a written description of the boundary of each GMU.

The highway from Gunnison to Crested Butte is the eastern boundary of gmu 54. There a gravel road that runs west from Crested that crosses Kebler pass. That is the northern boundary. I've driven that road a number of times, and it's not a bad road.

Black Canyon is just northwest of Gunnison, as I recall, and the highway from Gunnison that runs to Black Canyon is in GMU 54.

If you are familiar with Ohio Pass, then I can tell you that it is west of GMU 54, and not in that GMU.

I'm not sure where Fruitland Mesa is, but the town of Fruitland is near Grand Junction, which is quite a bit west of GMU 54. Grand Mesa is west of GMU 54, if that helps.

Getting a mule deer tag will be by draw only, and will probably take a number of preference points.

You can come south from Glennwood Springs on highway 133 (or maybe 33, I'm not 100% sure), and get to the gravel road that runs across Kebler pass to Crested Butte, and come in from there. I think. I"m not 100% sure of what roads are available or how they run.

But, again, get a map and check. You may find options I have overlooked or just don't know about.
    Jerry

Everyone can pretty much forget about shooting a deer. Not going to happen anywhere in or near Gunnison without at least 4-5 drawing points, which means 4-5 years of putting in and getting rejected. I MIGHT be able to draw a tag with my 5 or 6 points (forget how many I have) but I'm not wasting them on 2nd season in 54. It is not the prime season, and the winters have been very hard to the deer there. I sure as heck didn't wait half a decade to shoot at best an average sized deer lol.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    JB, you need to get a copy of the game regs and a map of Colorado. The game regs have maps of the entire state and shows where all of the GMUs are. They also contain a written description of the boundary of each GMU.

The highway from Gunnison to Crested Butte is the eastern boundary of gmu 54. There a gravel road that runs west from Crested that crosses Kebler pass. That is the northern boundary. I've driven that road a number of times, and it's not a bad road.

Black Canyon is just northwest of Gunnison, as I recall, and the highway from Gunnison that runs to Black Canyon is in GMU 54.

If you are familiar with Ohio Pass, then I can tell you that it is west of GMU 54, and not in that GMU.

I'm not sure where Fruitland Mesa is, but the town of Fruitland is near Grand Junction, which is quite a bit west of GMU 54. Grand Mesa is west of GMU 54, if that helps.

Getting a mule deer tag will be by draw only, and will probably take a number of preference points.

You can come south from Glennwood Springs on highway 133 (or maybe 33, I'm not 100% sure), and get to the gravel road that runs across Kebler pass to Crested Butte, and come in from there. I think. I"m not 100% sure of what roads are available or how they run.

But, again, get a map and check. You may find options I have overlooked or just don't know about.

Jerry, I have the map and regs, I was also checking it out on Google Earth.
    I'm not suggesting anything, that's up to you guys. I'm kinda familiar with that area, the western side at least. I get out there once or twice a year for the last 15 years or so. I'm just not familiar enough to remember all of the road names, etc. I'm just throwing stuff out there.
    FWIW, the deer we see are usually around Christmas time. I'm sure they're nowhere near the low mesas and roads in October.
    I'll be quiet now.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Jerry, I have the map and regs, I was also checking it out on Google Earth.
    I'm not suggesting anything, that's up to you guys. I'm kinda familiar with that area, the western side at least. I get out there once or twice a year for the last 15 years or so. I'm just not familiar enough to remember all of the road names, etc. I'm just throwing stuff out there.
    FWIW, the deer we see are usually around Christmas time. I'm sure they're nowhere near the low mesas and roads in October.
    I'll be quiet now.

JB, I'm not trying to be dismissive of your input. If you're familiar with the area, that's great. I had look Crawford up as I didn't know where it was. I can now see it's more or less due east of Delta and northeast of Montrose. It's also west of GMU 54.

There appears to be a number of forest service roads, such as 271 and 270, that run due north from Hwy 50 into the public land part of GMU 54. There is also access from hwy 92, which runs through Crawford, but I don't know which roads would be best to take.

If we decide that this is where we want to hunt, I hope to make a couple of trips there this summer and get a better feel for the area.

It also appears that I was wrong about Ohio Creek. From the map, it looks like it's right in the middle of GMU 54.
    Jerry

• canvsbkcanvsbk New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Looks like I should have arrived at this party earlier. Maybe somebody could fill me in on what I missed? Elk? I'd kinda like to shoot one of those guys.
    Canvsbk, nobody has paid anything yet that I know of. I would guess Jerry and Dan will limit this on a first come first serve basis and those that don't come up with money may be left out. Just my guess. So I would guess it's probably not too late to get on board. But don't take my word for it. I'm not heading this up. This is JerryBobCo, and MileHighShooter's project. I'm only a lowly potential participant.
  • canvsbkcanvsbk New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Thanks - I guess I need one of those "eating popcorn" icon things...
    Probably should start saving my allowance too...
    canvsbk, MileHighShooter and I have been planning a forum elk hunt in Colorado. It's open to all forum members and anyone else who wants to participate. There are a number of topics posted regarding the hunt.

If you have questions, ask one of us, post a question, or check for old posts that look relevant.
    Jerry

JerryBobCo wrote: »
    canvsbk, MileHighShooter and I have been planning a forum elk hunt in Colorado. It's open to all forum members and anyone else who wants to participate. There are a number of topics posted regarding the hunt.

If you have questions, ask one of us, post a question, or check for old posts that look relevant.

Thanks JBC, I figured that's what you'd tell him, but I put my foot in my mouth around here enough without inviting someone to a hunt I am invited to. Anyway, I think this will be one of the best of the best of any gun forum. I am totally excited. Now all I need is MONEY!!!
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 511 Senior Member
    MHS, I may be mis-interpreting the DOW stats, but I just looked and it shows 0 pref for D-M-052-02-R. I haven't called anyone there yet to see if this is correct or not. That would be the proper code for 521, right?
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
    mosseybuck wrote: »
    MHS, I may be mis-interpreting the DOW stats, but I just looked and it shows 0 pref for D-M-052-02-R. I haven't called anyone there yet to see if this is correct or not. That would be the proper code for 521, right?

Paul, if you want to hunt deer during second season in GMU 521, 52 or 411, then you are correct about the hunt code. I haven't taken a look at the number of preference points required. And, you can hunt bull elk in GMU 521 during the second rifle season with Over the Counter tags.
    Jerry