Home Main Category Hunting

Great week of hog hunting

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,438 Senior Member
edited March 29 in Hunting #1
My BIL, two of his kids and one of their friends came out from VA last Tuesday for a week of hog hunting.  Within 15 min of the first evening of being on stand my BIL Mark had his first hog down of the trip.  The weather was perfect all week.  I think in total they took 10 hogs and wounded two or three that ran off.  This year we had lots of hogs running around the ranch.  I think they counted 25 to 30 in two or three different groups.  Sorry I didn't take any pictures.

They all had a blast. Mark being a master electrician helped run all of the electrical wire and electrical hook ups in the new lean to for the pool.  Two ceiling fans, switches, two outlets and a TV hookup and one light in the pool equipment room.  Actually if I'm really being totally honest, Mark and the three boys all working towards their journeyman electrician ratings took over the project and kicked me out of the process.  Country music blaring, they worked steady for an afternoon and the next day.  I helped/got in there way when I wanted to be productive or feel like part of the team. :)

What I liked is Mark used every aspect of the job as a teaching moment for the three boys.  He'd tell one he  wanted something done.  Then he asked how they would do it or hook it up.  Most of the time the boys knew exactly what to do, sometimes they'd get stumped.  Instead of telling them how to do it.  He said lets draw it out and you explain it to me.  Once on paper the answers were clear to the kids.  I paid each of the boys a $100 bill for all their work.  If Mark finds out he'll make them give it back.  Kids need a little extra cash I say, I know I did at their age! :)

It's been a great trip for them and my wife and I.  My wife and I look forward to them coming back in the fall for deer season!  Hopefully my sis will make the tip so we can horseback ride together!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,190 Senior Member
    Awesome family time and learning experience.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,562 Senior Member
    Shooting hogs is always fun. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,235 Senior Member
    What an awesome time!  I love family time with folks I love.  When we had the ranch a full house was the norm and I miss that.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    Sounds like a very enjoyable time with family and successful time with the hogs.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,617 Senior Member
    With the price of meat increasing due to inflation, a hog or two would be welcome in many households.  I might hobble off and try to down one myself.  I wonder why hog population has increased so dramatically in the last 20 years.  Does anyone know?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,143 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    With the price of meat increasing due to inflation, a hog or two would be welcome in many households.  I might hobble off and try to down one myself.  I wonder why hog population has increased so dramatically in the last 20 years.  Does anyone know?
    Well...when a mommy hog and a daddy hog fall in love....

Seriously...they breed faster than folks can kill them...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 131 Member
    edited April 15 #8
    Gene L said:
    Saw a documentary called "The Pig Bomb" They say they breed fast enough, that to have 0 growth over 1 year, you need to kill 75-80% of the hogs currently alive and the population will rebound to present level in that year.

They also said that if a sow gave birth today, one year from now, her, and her offspring can number approximately 100, considering her having another litter in 6 months, her first litter having having one at 6 months, and all the females having another litter at the one year mark
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson