Home Main Category Clubhouse

Ordered my new shop building today

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,500 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:

Do you make knives or just collect ?

I've played around with building knives.  Mainly from kits, grinding out of bar stock or modifying existing blades.  As part of the planning for the new shop, I have accrued a small propane forge and basic forging tools.  Still keeping an eye out for a suitable anvil that isn't too expensive but also not a piece of junk.  I'll play around more with forging knives in the new shop, and possibly set up the little building that is currently my man cave to to finishing, handles, etc.  But who knows.  I might change my mind between now and then...
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,446 Senior Member
    That is some interesting things to mess with .
    I have only made a few over the years ....... a lot easier to just collect !
    Two really tinny ones I did out of 14k gold with real stag handles . Gave one to my dad who collected too .

• GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    That is some interesting things to mess with .
    I have only made a few over the years ....... a lot easier to just collect !
    Two really tinny ones I did out of 14k gold with real stag handles . Gave one to my dad who collected too .

That is absolutely amazing!
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,444 Senior Member
    That is pretty neat.  A matching full size knife could make a nice office/man cave display
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,521 Senior Member
    Jay,

It's gonna look great, congrats!  One thing I added to my workshop we built last year was a welded 10' X 10" suspended attic with attic stairs.  It's only supported by the ceiling 6" steel rafters.  Complete with attic steps that pull down.  I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow for you before we leave for our long weekend trip.  It's where I store my some of my work equipment and boxes to return.  Greatest add on I did during the build.  We also did spray foam insulation and put steel on the inside as well.  This cost an additional $3.5K in steel...probably $5K now.  However, it was cheaper than the $7.5K to drywall and paint.  These new workshops are great!  Also, having a concrete walk way around is a must in my book!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    edited May 13 #37
    Thanks for the info, Jeff.  Definitely some things to consider adding.

I've thought about adding some steel panels to the inside, at least on some areas, like my welding area.  I'll add that myself later.  Might wait a bit and see if prices don't come down a little.  I don't think I'm going to do a concrete walk around it.  There will be grass and crusher fines around it.  Honestly, mostly right now I'm trying to keep the cost in check as much as I can.  This thing is already looking like it's going to cost me $20K more than I was planning to begin with.  Maybe I wasn't  being realistic when I started planning it.  I initially planned on around $30-35K for the whole project.  My building alone was $29K. The insulation and lean-to added significant cost to the project.  But, might as well at least start with the building I want...

Concrete is looking pretty high dollar right now.  While I'm still waiting for estimates on that, I'm bracing myself for a $15K bill on the concrete work.  If not more.  I just got the PDF version of the building plans, so onward we go with the project...  Maybe, fingers crossed, my building might be built by the end of this month.
    I talked with the building guys about steel .
    The steel comes with cover sheets .
    They just scrap it for beer money . So I offered to buy the pile they had at there shop . Managed to get over 200 new sheets 12' long  for $200 . That made us both real happy !
    I am cutting it 6' long for the side walls now . The rest will be sheet rock on up the walls . I also took them a few cases of beer for after work .
    I am doing mine with all different colors but if you wanted all white .... just flip it over all the backs are white & on the inside it doesn't make a difference .
    Jay,

My workshop is 24’x30’ .  I wish I had made it a tad larger. However it functions great for my needs. My buddy did his with a gravel floor. Works great. Looking forward to seeing your completed project!

That is a nice clean organized shop there Jeff .
    They never seem to be big enough no matter what size you build .
    I guess we always want it to be a little bigger.. 🤪

nice shop, Jeff. I remember seeing your thread when you built it too. You and Ron unknowingly played a part in my build. Ron remains the shop king, though..

I wanted mine to be a bit bigger than it ended up. 🤦‍♂️ I planned on 30x40.  The insulation and lean-to were musts for me. So I downsized the shop a little to accommodate that. My shop would be a lot of wasted money if it was 130 degrees inside during the summer. I wouldn’t want to be in there. And the lean-to makes it effectively 52 feet of covered, concrete work area, allows me to work with the shop door open if it’s raining and provides a shaded area to shoot bows from. I have out to 50 yards (more if the alfalfa is cut) of open space from the lean-to area for various distances of archery targets. 

Since I’ve been been an avid pool player most of my life, I’m already thinking about putting a pool table in it… 😣 I love to play. But these days I hate going to bars and pool halls. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,559 Senior Member
    Jay said:

Since I’ve been been an avid pool player most of my life, I’m already thinking about putting a pool table in it… 😣 I love to play. But these days I hate going to bars and pool halls
    What, you hate beer and chicks? Careful, you will become a Bigslug level of introvert, not that it is a bad thing, but being single and all....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Jay said:

Since I’ve been been an avid pool player most of my life, I’m already thinking about putting a pool table in it… 😣 I love to play. But these days I hate going to bars and pool halls
    What, you hate beer and chicks? Careful, you will become a Bigslug level of introvert, not that it is a bad thing, but being single and all....

There comes a point when bars & women chasing is a waste of time .
    Being single for many years I have found by not hitting the bars every weekend ....... can save a lot of money for guy things to buy . :)
    I never have to hear ...... what do you mean you are working on that stupid shop all weekend ?  :p
    edited May 15 #44
    Yeah. What Ron said.. 🤣

I like beer. I’d just rather drink it in my shop, not have to go anywhere and not have to get an ear full about it. 

Her: How many beers are you going to drink out here?

Me: All of them…
    At least you guys have thought thing through :D
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Shops are a great way to stay busy & spend all the extra money !
    When they are done ....... then the fun of making stuff starts .
    Got the word this morning that my foundation plans should be ready today.  So I'll pick them up tomorrow and get ready to submit everything for the building permit next week.  Onward we go.... 

Also working on drawing up a basic electrical plan as well as the site/plat drawing for the permit.  Hopefully they'll except my crude, unexperienced plans for the permit.
    One step at a time Jay .
    You are doing well & will have a nice shop when done !
    All the time & money will be worth it !

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,083 Senior Member
    edited June 6 #49
    Jay said:
    Got the word this morning that my foundation plans should be ready today.  So I'll pick them up tomorrow and get ready to submit everything for the building permit next week.  Onward we go.... 

Also working on drawing up a basic electrical plan as well as the site/plat drawing for the permit.  Hopefully they'll except my crude, unexperienced plans for the permit.
    You don’t have to have these things stamped by an engineer?  Around here that’s a requirement or it’s a no go…

When we built the ranch all we wanted to do was rotate the house 20° from the approved plan (for a better view) and the board wanted us to get the whole thing re-engineered.  

We lucked out that the original engineer was at the meeting and he walked over to the desk, took one look and laughed.  Drew the new foundation on the map with a sharpie and signed it in front of the board.  Even called the head guy an idiot for trying to screw us…

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

Jay said:

You don’t have to have these things stamped by an engineer?  Around here that’s a requirement or it’s a no go…

When we built the ranch all we wanted to do was rotate the house 20° from the approved plan (for a better view) and the board wanted us to get the whole thing re-engineered.  

We lucked out that the original engineer was at the meeting and he walked over to the desk, took one look and laughed.  Drew the new foundation on the map with a sharpie and signed it in front of the board.  Even called the head guy an idiot for trying to screw us…

The little tin gods around a construction project is always a mess to deal with .
    On my house build I had a heating permit ...... put in a gas furnace & a wood burner add on .
    Tin god said the heating permit didn't cover the wood add on .
    Had to take it all out ...... get a permit ...... put all back in & he said ok .
    There are real jerks out there to deal with .
    I think most are retired trade people that don't want you to do things yourself .
    Had one tell me ...... you wasted wire ...... my reply was ..... it's my money .
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,083 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Jay said:

The little tin gods around a construction project is always a mess to deal with .
    On my house build I had a heating permit ...... put in a gas furnace & a wood burner add on .
    Tin god said the heating permit didn't cover the wood add on .
    Had to take it all out ...... get a permit ...... put all back in & he said ok .
    There are real jerks out there to deal with .
    I think most are retired trade people that don't want you to do things yourself .
    Had one tell me ...... you wasted wire ...... my reply was ..... it's my money .
    Not just the tin gods, I bought a house and the home insurance inspector came in and said the wood burning stove does not have a permit and it's too close to the brick wall so it does not meet code.  It has to be ripped out of the house or they will not insure the house.  

So now I'm freaking out... So, I called the local guy who installs them to come get the stove out and when he looks at it he says, "That's a really nice stove, why would we rip it out?"  So I explained the insurance guys position.  He laughed and the cut the chimney pipe and put a 45 degree elbow on it which moved the stove a few inches forward.  He then called in and got me a permit for the install.  Total bill was like $50.

Called the idiot from the insurance company back.  Oh yeah, I guess you could do THAT... 

When you give a little man a little power it all goes right to his head.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

My foundation plans have to be stamped by an engineer.  Had to pay another $1200 for the plans.  The electric plans don't have to have an engineer stamp and I can use a previous survey plat to draw in the location of the building.  

Now the issue is, I wanted the concrete to be the full 30' width of the building all the way out to the end of the lean-to, but the engineer reduced it to 20' (width of the lean-to) from the front of the building to the end of the lean-to.  I get it.  My construction buddy told the engineer to take it easy on the concrete.  But that's not something I really wanted to scrimp on if I don't have to.  So now I'm waiting to see what my buddy comes up with on concrete cost and go from there.  With the crazy cost of concrete right now, I might just have to do away with the extra 5 feet of concrete on either side of the lean-to and go with the engineer's plans.
    Also, according to my buddy, the engineer went a bit overboard on the footings for the size of the building.  So my point was, I don't want to scrimp on the lean-to concrete in order to save money for over built footings... Waiting for a response and concrete estimate and go from there.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,179 Senior Member
    Jay said:

Then these petty tyrants wonder why nobody gets a permit unless they just have to...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Here's an interesting story pertaining to inspectors and permits;

As part of what I'm doing on my place, I also had an old mobile home moved out to prepare the spot for my new house.  My nephew and his girlfriend are expecting a baby and are currently living with my sister. I worked it out with my mom to have the mobile home moved to a property she owns where there used to be a mobile home, for my nephew to live in.  Since there already was a mobile home there, the spot should be pretty close to ready to move the trailer right in.  Until inspectors and engineers got involved.

The property is a couple acres and used to have 2 mobile homes on it.  In one, there is an elderly man who has been renting for 40 years.  The other mobile home was moved out last year and that's where we planned to put mine.  When the county inspector came out, first he wanted my mom to subdivide the property.  After some arguing, they did away with that requirement.  Then, the inspector said the septic tank on the site was never permitted and couldn't be used.  Well, it was put in over 40 years ago by the previous property owner.  Oh well... there goes $5000 for a new septic tank.  Then the inspector started snooping around and found that the septic tank on the mobile home where the old man lives also wasn't permitted.  So, he required that one to be dug up and replaced with a new system. Another $5000.  

Then a young engineer from the elec co. came out.  There was electric service on the old mobile home until it was moved out last year.  At some point, the elec co came out and removed the meter from that spot.  The engineer claimed that the transformer on the pole was too old and had to be replaced in order to restore service to the mobile home we were moving in.  The transformer is on a pole that is on someone else's property and 3 other houses were already running off of it.  But he told my mom she had to pay to replace the transformer because she was the one requesting the service.  Didn't matter that 3 other people were currently using it.  When told that there was service to that spot last year, the engineer claimed that there was no record of it.  That was going to be another $5000.   Luckily, one of my mom's neighbors is a veteran engineer with the elec co.  After talking to him, he got it cleared to connect to the existing transformer.

Still, $10,000 spent on new septic tanks before they would even allow the mobile home to be put in.  $2600 to hire a mobile home mover to take it 4.5 miles.  And I still haven't even got around to doing the tax transfer paperwork for the mobile home moving to a new spot, and crossing state lines and it's still in my grandparents' name....  I'm sure that's going to be fun.  My grandpa passed away over 10 years ago... 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,179 Senior Member
    The situation with bldg depts and mobile homes got to be so bad in California, that the state took over the job of MH oversight. One of the few things they did right. I actually got the local bldg dept. in hot water with the state because they were chickenshitting around - they were so mad and couldn't do anything about it!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    I love living in rural county here in Texas.  I didn't need to submit any plans or get permits for my workshop that was built!

I love living in rural county here in Texas.  I didn't need to submit any plans or get permits for my workshop that was built!
    WOW, MN is the state where nothing is allowed, how does that work out in a practical sense, is there abominations for structures out there or is there some code that needs to be followed and inspectors?
    edited June 15 #59
    We've been able to get away with a few little projects without permits at my place over the years, but it's iffy.  We got caught on a 8x32 shed we built years ago and got lucky that my uncle knew the inspector and let it slide.  Building permits are required on everything over 200 sq ft here.  I had a buddy the other day tell me just to build it without the permit; saying he's done several of the same kind of buildings without one...  I elected to go with getting the permit anyway.  $410 later...

Since my shop is going to have a dedicated electric drop, the elec co. won't run the drop without it being permitted and installed by an electrician.  Which requires an electrical permit.  So I was going to have to have a permit or not have electricity.  Trying to get an elec permit on a building with no building permit would cause a problem.  Not worth the headache.  

I was also informed yesterday that the rebar for my foundation is going to be $5,000 by itself.  :s  The concrete probably about the same.  So I am looking at pushing $15K for my foundation... Prices on materials are just stupid right now.
    CHIRO1989 said:
    WOW, MN is the state where nothing is allowed, how does that work out in a practical sense, is there abominations for structures out there or is there some code that needs to be followed and inspectors?
    Really not sure, we're a very rural county with mostly farm lands and ranches.  Glad it works that way!

CHIRO1989 said:
    Really not sure, we're a very rural county with mostly farm lands and ranches.  Glad it works that way!
    Apparently Minnesotans cannot be trusted to build stuff, lol