Home Main Category Clubhouse

Ordered my new shop building today

1234568»

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,445 Senior Member
    Way to go Jay 
    That's gonna be one sweet place to work when your finally finished
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,446 Senior Member
    You are well on the way to a really nice shop there Jay !
    Once you can start working on projects in there it will be just the way you want it .
    A nice dry place to work makes all the difference .
    :)
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,500 Senior Member
    edited November 5 #214
    Thanks guys. 

Still waiting on my elec inspection. The inspector was supposed to be here yesterday. I called him in the morning to confirm, and he told me he wouldn’t be out. Wasted time off from work to be there, since he previously told me he would “for sure” be here on Friday…

He then said he’d be here between 7 and 8 this morning because he had somewhere else to be at 9.  It’s after 930 now. Still no word. This is getting old…
    edited November 6 #215
    The inspector finally showed up after 1pm. No pass.. 😡 Three things he didn’t like. My outlets have to be GFCI. I disagree, but I already fixed that. He wanted my breaker panel grounded directly to the steel structure of my building with wire. Forget the fact that it’s mounted to steel unistrut which is bolted to the steel on the building. He wanted it wired directly to a main column. I did that today. 6 gauge wire directly yo the corner column. Third, he wants my ground rods spaced 20 feet apart. They are currently at just over 6 feet apart. According to what I read, code says minimum 8 foot long ground rods spread at least 6 feet apart. I’m not understanding why he wants them at 20 feet. I didn’t argue it while he was there, because I didn’t know. But I can’t find anything saying they have to be 20 feet apart… 

very frustrating…
    Sounds like you got a stinker there Jay .
    I got around mine by having only 2 outlets during inspection . One was a GFI & the other was 220 .
    You did right not to blow up just go along until he is out of your hair .
    I ended up finding the code he was referencing. I only have one outlet. I think he knows I plan to add more and wants the grounding system built accordingly. 

The code says, when you have a rebar foundation, you have to tie your ground to it. My concrete guys were supposed to put that in, but forgot and poured anyway. Since that wasn’t done, code says you have to have two 8’ ground rods, spaced at least 20’ apart, connected with 2 gauge bare copper wire, at least 30” deep… 🤦‍♂️

Why it’s acceptable for a normal structure to have the ground rods 6’ apart and this building 20’ apart, who knows. More dumb a$$ government regulation. But, he won’t pass it otherwise. So I have to do it….
    Here’s what the code he’s quoting says..

Section 250.50 Grounding electrode system. See this section of the NEC and add: on new construction, a concrete encased electrode shall be considered available and installed in compliance with NEC 250.52(A) (3). If a concrete encased electrode is not present, then at least 20 feet of 2 AWG bare copper in direct contact with the earth at a depth below the earth’s surface of not less than thirty (30) inches shall be installed in a continuous trench that is at least twenty (20) feet in length, augmented with a minimum of two (2), eight (8) foot grounds rods one at each end of the 2 AWG conductor.
    You really have a dandy on your hands there Jay .
    You can always stay busy with other things waiting on that goof .
    With the short days power is really needed to be working inside .
    edited November 12 #220
    I’ve got the new grounding system put in and fixed all the other stuff he told me about. We put in for another inspection. It was at that point I noticed in the inspector’s notes on the permit he also stated the mast to the weather head was out of code. He didn’t tell me that when he was here. So, since we had already requested the inspection, my electrician came out the other evening and the two of us worked until after 7pm replacing the mast with a 2” conduit. I’m still waiting for the inspector to show up. He said he could come out Thursday. He never showed up. Maybe he’ll make it out today. The last two times he came out were on Saturdays. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Jay your inspector sounds like the crap we had to put up with in South Florida here in the panhandle they seem to show up when expected and just do their job. No BSing.
    Up here it takes less days than it did weeks to get a roof put on because of inspectors.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Well, to help cheer me up from my inspection woes, I ordered the air compressor for the shop today. Looks like it’ll be several weeks to get here. 

I ordered the slightly lower end, home shop version of the Emax 80 gallon compressor with Silent Air. Mine will be 80 gallon, 5 HP, magnetic start with the Whisper 100 air intake silencer. The same as their industrial version, just 5 HP rather than 7.5. 

I’ve been looking at air compressors since the shop project began. Basically, it was either a quiet compressor inside the shop, or build a closet outside and run the air in from there. I don’t want a standard, noisy compressor in the shop. I can’t afford a rotary screw type compressor. Those start at the low end at $5k and go up sharply from there. I also really didn’t want to have to build a closet outside for it. Trying to make it look nice with the building, pouring concrete and punching holes through the wall for elec and air lines. So, I settled on this one to be somewhat quiet, relatively affordable and much shorter wire run. It calls for a 40A breaker and 8ga wire. So putting it close to my panel will cut down on installation cost. 

Here is the 7.5 HP version of what I bought. Same thing aside from the motor size and I didn’t get the air dryer. 
    I don’t know this guy and am not trying to drive people to his video. Just the best video I’ve found that shows the details of what I’m looking forward to. 
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 386 Member
    Jay, soon the construction headaches will be in the past, the money will have been spent, at that time you will be forging, building, repairing, guzzling cold beer, and your shop will be just a part of home. Congrats!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,393 Senior Member
    Japhy said:
    Jay, soon the construction headaches will be in the past, the money will have been spent, at that time you will be forging, building, repairing, guzzling cold beer, and your shop will be just a part of home and you will be wishing you had made it twice the size.......
    Fixed it for you........

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    That ^ is probably pretty accurate...  :D
    Finally got the approval from the electrical inspector yesterday.  So I'm done there.

Started with the electric company this morning to get the service connection going.  I'll see how this goes.  Not starting off so great so far...

I got the number they list on their website for new service connections.  Called that number, only to get a recording stating to leave a message or send an email to an email address they provide.  So I send the email, and get a response that I need to call this lady at this number to verify the service release inspection is passed and schedule the service connection.  Called that number, got her voicemail indicating they are at lunch from 11-12.  Left a voicemail with what I'm needing and my phone number.  Now, I wait patiently to hear back from her... 

I'm going to guess it'll be 10 days to two weeks to get my service connected... based on how this has been going.  At least if I guess that and it gets done sooner, I'll be happy..  :D
    Long story.. I’ll keep it as short as possible…

Finally talked to a lady at the elec co yesterday afternoon. The county has to send a service release notification to them and hadn’t done so yet. 

This morning she called me and said they received the release from the county this morning. An inspector from the elec co would have to come out and make sure it’s ok to connect. Then they’d send someone out to hook it up if it’s good. 

This afternoon, the same dude who disconnected the previous service that I had removed for demo and construction, and who told me as long as I was within 75 feet of the pole he’d come out and hook it back up, showed up… started giving me a hard time about connecting. Various things. I remembered last time he was out he commented on my archery targets and said he shoots achery…. So I sidetracked him.. he rolled out the service cable and ran it.. 

After running the overhead service line, he got my meter out of his truck and walked over to put it in…. Only then did he realize he couldn’t put it in… I don’t have an external disconnect switch. He didn’t realize until he was about to put the meter in..  so, no meter..  I have to have an external disconnect put in. I get that… asked my electrician about it… I’m not very impressed with his opinion at this point..

But, the elec co guy did tell me prior to leaving that if I throw this red lever, I’ll get power to my building…. And he just happened to leave the meter can unlocked until I get the switch put in.., 🤪

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,089 Senior Member
    Amazing the nonsense you have to put up with and all the ass you have to kiss to get construction type stuff done.  Well, you’re within sight of the finish line now 🍾🥂

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

Well, you have power, until you have power.  Good deal
    Once complete you'll have yourself one heck of a shop.  Congrats
    edited November 18 #230
    Thanks guys.  I am glad that I at least have power for the time being.  It's looking like it could be a bit for me to get it fixed.  I'm having a hard time sourcing an outdoor rated, 200A disconnect switch.  What I'm finding so far is around $500 and will be a couple of weeks to get.  I'll keep the search going.

Down side is, I can't leave the meter box switched on constantly.  Only when I'm using it.  The front cover has to be off of it while the switch is on, leaving the entire "hot" meter box wide open.  So it's just a temp way to use it for now.  I still have to have an extension cord run over there for my fridge..  but, still better than nothing until it's running permanently.  
    And there is light !
    Looking great in there Jay .
    Soon the lay out plans will be coming fast .
    Benches cabinets compressor tools yep you will be having fun soon .
    Still building on mine but will catch up to you sooner or later .
    I was able to get a little bit done over the weekend.

First thing I had not done yet was drill a hole through the center steel column for my electrical to pass through.  I had the run to my lights from the service panel temporarily run around it.  So I got the hole drilled, pulled the circuit to my lights back and passed it through the hole and reinstalled it to get the lights working again.  And I spent yesterday afternoon installing more outlet boxes on that wall.  I have a total of 5 duplex boxes on that wall now, for a total of 20 receptacles to plug into.  The two to the left of my fridge are flush mounted on the purlin.  My work bench will go there and the surface of the bench will be just below those.  Then I'm going to cover the wall behind the bench with pegboard, cutting holes in it to fit over those two boxes.

Since it's been getting a little chilly in the shop, I bought a DeWalt 68,000 BTU propane heater for the shop.  This thing is AWESOME!! It easily heats the entire shop.  I turn it on and leave it running on high for about 30 minutes, then turn it down about half way for another 30, then turn it all the way down and it maintains a good 70 degrees in the shop when its in the 40s or colder outside. Even leaving the door cracked for ventilation.  I will definitely be putting in a couple of ceiling fans soon.  A lot of the heat, of course, it's getting trapped up at the ceiling.  A couple of fans running in reverse should help circulate that warm air back down.  But my dog is definitely enjoying the warmth..

All I'm lacking on that wall now is the two 240V welder outlets and I'll be done with electric runs on that wall.  Two more walls to go... 
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,089 Senior Member
    That heater looks like a jet on afterburner!  Good score.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 642 Senior Member

Jay did you use a bushing where you run through your steel if not check up on it even though you  are inspected its cheap insurance
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,561 Senior Member
    I hope you are keeping a list of the BS you have gone through for the powers that be, it is like you are paying someone to slam your hand in a car door some days, maybe someone will pay attention to the customer....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    That heater looks like a jet on afterburner!  Good score.
    That’s kinda what it’s like and how it sounds, although it’s not horribly loud. Turned all the way up, it’s a little loud and kinda like a jet engine roaring sound. But you can still have a normal conversation with it running. Turned half way down or below, it’s pretty quiet. It has a fan in the back of it that sucks up air and blows it through the heater. And it’ll run off one of my 20V batteries if I want to take it somewhere. Not sure how long it’ll last on a battery. Haven’t tried it yet. With my use so far, it goes through a 30 pound propane tank in about 10 hours. 
    edited November 24 #238
    gunner81 said:

Jay did you use a bushing where you run through your steel if not check up on it even though you  are inspected its cheap insurance
    I messed my plan on that up and didn’t realize it till I was in the middle of working on it. I bought a Diablo hole saw to cut the hole, planning on welding a short piece of 2” pipe in the hole. But, I bought a hole saw that was too small and the pipe wouldn’t fit in the hole. So I just filed the hole smooth and ran the wire through. It is MC cable, so the wires are in conduit and protected. My plan is to get a plastic bushing that will fit, cut it and epoxy it in with the cut at the top.just for extra protection. For the other two holes I need to cut, I’m going to get a smaller hole saw and bushings to match the hole size. I don’t need 2” holes for what I’m running. That was just poor planing on my part. I thought 2” pipe would fit in a 2 1/8” hole. It doesn’t.. 
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I hope you are keeping a list of the BS you have gone through for the powers that be, it is like you are paying someone to slam your hand in a car door some days, maybe someone will pay attention to the customer....
    That’s kinda what it feels like sometimes. 

This project got me thinking, it’s no wonder houses cost so much these days… By the time you’ve gone through all the BS, codes, regulations, etc, you’ve spent a lot of money just trying to satisfy all those rules… I get stuff is in place for safety. But, for instance, the inspector told me I’d either have to have all GFCI outlets or use GFI breakers. Those outlets are around $25 each for 20 amp outlets. Those breakers with the neutral wire on them aren’t cheap either. And my experience with them has been that they like to trip for no damn reason. So, I put GFCI outlets in the one box I had during inspection to satisfy him. Now I’m putting regular 20 amp industrial outlets in. Although on the two long runs I think I’ll end up running off a GFCI in the first box, just for some level of safety. On the one short wall I won’t. My fridge will be plugging in there and I don’t want a chance of a tripped GFCI ruining my food in the freezer. Or getting my beer warm.. 🤪
    getting my beer warm.. 🤪
     Flag  Quote · 

Must take care of the important stuff
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,967 Senior Member
    These work nice in hole to protect your wire, just cut so it will go around wire and push into hole. Can be glued in but usually not necessary.  

Replacement Nitrile Rubber Gaskets | Universal Crowfoot Couplings

$0.44 – $0.98

Size Comparison of a 34 and 2 Rubber Gaskets