john.41john.41 MemberPosts: 308 Member
Wanted to see how the members felt about the debt limit

Debt Limit 50 votes

Raise the debt limit.
12%
LinefinderADRidgeBullgatortv_racin_fanjoseph06mkk41 6 votes
Don't raise the debt limit.
66%
[Deleted User]DeanCNCFUBARTeachBigDanSDiver43ericbbisleyMake_My_DayairheadJermanatorbhl2506avmechorchidmanjohn.41BarrydBuffcorobert38-55minnesotashooterbeartracker 33 votes
What is a debt limit?
2%
Bigslug 1 vote
I don't care.
2%
bklysen 1 vote
I like beer.
18%
NNSirGeorgeKillianBufordghostsniper1Big ChiefsherwoodJaywildgeneKENFU1911 9 votes

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,062 Senior Member
    If debt limit is to be raised, only if an equivalent amount in spending cuts are tied to it as well.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,323 Senior Member
    I like beer.
    I like beer.

Aside from that, I vote no. But I doubt that will happen. I'll agree in part with make my day, but modify to say that if they raise it, there should be three times the amount of spending cuts tied to it.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,652 Senior Member
    I like beer.
    It has to come to a head. Might as well be now. Please tighten yer seatbelt impact is inevitable.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I like beer.
    I also like beer.

I think we need to do away with social security all together, and quit borrowing money.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    So do I get a refund for all the dollars that were taken from me in all the years I had to pay into Social Security? I would love to put into my IRA..............

Oh, and no debt limit increase, period.
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,590 Senior Member
    They should just get rid of it. What's the point? They always raise it anyway and if they don't raise it the bond market will probably implode meaning the banks will implode which means the economy will implode. "Luckily" most of Washington is bought by the banks, so everything up until August 2nd is just political posturing. At the last minute some deal will get done and the debt limit will be raised once again and everyone can go back to business as usual.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,269 Senior Member
    The politicians don't know how to do business any other way, and we don't seem to be able to stop re-electing the same old crooks. I wonder if France would loan us their Guillotine for a while?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • DeanCDeanC Member Posts: 156 Member
    If we hit the fictitious debt limit (fictitious because we always raise it - it never actually limits anything) we will not default. Under US law principal and interest on Treasuries is the first thing to be paid. There is also no excuse for not paying Social Security or Medicare as those things are actually still taking in more money than they are paying out (yes, really) and should still be for at least 3 more years.
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    Raise the debt limit.
    In the short term we no sane alternative to raising the debt limit. We can't just stop deficit spending overnight. As much as I hate the notion, $1.5 trillion of our "budget" is borrowed money. If you suddenly pull that much money out of the economy overnight, get ready for a massive contraction (depression). But at the same time the only sane course of action is to commit to a plan of long term debt reduction. A balanced budget amendment is a good place to start. I just don't have much faith in the clowns on both sides of isle to do anything other than act in their own short term best interests.

In the end the markets will call the shots. When the market tanks because faith in the American economy has been completely lost, we'll be forced to act in crisis management mode and things will be far more painful than if we acted responsibly now. Damned shame.
    cpj wrote: »
    So, for every dollar we cut, we raise the debt limit one dollar (an idea I have heard tossed about by the jackasses in DC) Am I missing something? Isnt that a wash?
    I actually would be more in favor of getting rid of Woodrow Wilson's Federal Reserve System nightmare, and take away the ability of the government to print money whenever it needs it.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    It has to come to a head. Might as well be now. Please tighten yer seatbelt impact is inevitable.

My feeling, exactly.

As for social security cuts, that is unacceptable until they cut entitlements to those who have not paid into the system. Social security is an earned benefit that must be honored, whereas most of the entitlements that keep the wheels greased for liberal politicians are gifts...given mostly immediately preceding elections.
  • lightkeeperlightkeeper Member Posts: 168 Member
    No! Families can't raise prices or raise taxes or if they have any common sense, borrow more when they get behind. We cut spending. That's what Washington should do. Some small percent of everything would help without devastaing those programs.There's enough waste elsewhere to not have to touch social security or other entiltements.
    bisley wrote: »
    As for social security cuts, that is unacceptable until they cut entitlements to those who have not paid into the system. Social security is an earned benefit that must be honored, whereas most of the entitlements that keep the wheels greased for liberal politicians are gifts...given mostly immediately preceding elections.

Fully agree.
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    I like beer.
    I voted for beer, but, I really don't like it.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    I like beer.
    I also like beer.

I think we need to do away with social security all together, and quit borrowing money.
    That is because your young and have a federal job with good retirement prospects until they zero in on your retirement as a cost reduction idea.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I like beer.
    Ahhh, but my federal retirement isnt the only egg in my nest my friend.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth Member Posts: 136 Member
    If the limit were really a limit, then they wouldn't have made plans to spend past it. They should have seen this coming from miles away and stopped using the damned overdraft protection to the point that we're nearly bankrupt. We can either wait for circumstances to force us into austerity measures or we can take them on our own and keep some control over the situation. Either way it might make for an uncomfortable ride.
    Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.
    Caroline knows what she's talking about:

Worried About Debt Limit? The Bond Market Isn’t
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Raise the debt limit.
    Don't fully understand national politico-economics. But I do know if they stop military funding , I don't get paid for much longer. We've already had several rounds of lay-offs and VSPs. The company stopped our 401k match till 2012.

HOWEVER!

It seems that every year , the powers that be forgive , or wipe out the top debts of countries that OWE us money. We're talking BILLIONS.

And as I get older , thinking I might actually make it to retirement , I'm ticked that they always seem to cut veterans benefits and social security/medicare.

Let's eliminate WELFARE!
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    Boehner just told Obama to take his demands and stick 'em where the sun don't shine. He's going to talk to the Senate and cut Obummer out of the loop. Good idea, I believe. President crybaby just doesn't get the message!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Boehner just told Obama to take his demands and stick 'em where the sun don't shine. He's going to talk to the Senate and cut Obummer out of the loop. Good idea, I believe. President crybaby just doesn't get the message! Jerry
    I don't think this is going to solve anything. The Senate libs who are mainly in sync with Obummer refused to take a vote on Cut, Cap & Balance, so I don't see them cooperating with Boehner. Reed called it the worst piece of legislation in history, so not much compromising there.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    avmech wrote: »
    So do I get a refund for all the dollars that were taken from me in all the years I had to pay into Social Security? I would love to put into my IRA..............

Oh, and no debt limit increase, period.

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:agree::that:
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • artart New Member Posts: 20 New Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Social security is an earned benefit that must be honored
    I didn't earn it-I paid for it.....
    I hope it's there when I reach that age.
    Along those lines, there are those that did not pay for it and still get it.....................that needs to stop, along with the funds going out to other government pet spending projects (thank you LBJ)
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Has there ever been a government-run program, financial or otherwise, that was run more efficiently than a similar program in the private sector? The Post Office is a prime example. It's been a losing proposition for decades, while private carriers like UPS and FedEx have flourished. Less well-run carriers like Railway Express went down the tube, and rightly so. People who have the self-control to manage their own retirement savings reap benefits so far above what Social Security provides that there's no comparison whatsoever. If there was not a mandatory confiscation of funds from a person's income by the government, that money could, and should be invested in a retirement systerm that actually works. Ditto for health care- - - - -the government can screw up a free meal- - - - -lord help us when they control our medical treatment!
    Jerry
    Nobody is willing to actually deal with the problem. They ALL are just kicking the can and making speeches to bolster their next campaign. My latest idol, Karl Denninger lays it out pretty clearly: http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=190663
    The problem for the Republicans is that they haven't put forth a credible plan either. They're not talking about actually cutting spending - they too are talking about trying to jigger military "cuts" down the road along with other funny math. Even "Cut, Cap and Balance" is a scam in that it claims less than $200 billion in actual spending reductions for FY2012 and fails to identify where the actual cuts are going to come from or what baseline is being used.

May I remind everyone that the deficit for the calendar year 2010 was $1,700 billion? That is, $200 billion is immaterial and does exactly nothing toward moving the budget toward sustainability - that is, balance. Neither does $2 trillion over ten years which is that same $200 billion.

To be credible we need $700 billion in cuts for FY2012 and another $700 billion the next year, with an automatic across-the-board, no-exceptions trigger of 20% out of every program in each case if the Congress fails to perform in either year.

Horse trade all you want, but this is what you arrive at - a real $700 billion less in spending for FY2012 than you had in FY2011 inclusive of all supplementals and other gimmicks. Then you have to do it again in FY2013.

And it will sting like a son of a gun, but it's the only real medicine.
  • BarrydBarryd Member Posts: 188 Member
    Cut wasteful spending and don't raise the debt limit.
    Oh, second choice.....I like beer.

Barry
    Barry
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    I like beer.
    I like beer!

No matter what those losers do we will get screwed! It's both parties fault. I'm a gvt retiree and I'm hurting already. I just can't wait to see how the stupid health care reform will hurt the wallet.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD