Home Main Category Personal Defense

Streamlight TLR-6 for non-railed 1911s

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,894 Senior Member
edited April 7 in Personal Defense #1
Got one of these the other day. To install you open the battery box, undo three screws,  separate the housing halves, the housing clamps over the triggerguard, reinstall the screws, install batteries, and close the battery box.

The light is turned on and off via a circular button on the main housing. 

The switch is ambidextrous, and can be constant on or momentary.

It's 100 lumens and powered by 2 1/3n batteries. 

Plusses: lightweight, doesn't need a rail, bright enough for most houses, ambidextrous, requires no firearm modification, Streamlight quality, allen wrench for screws are included. 

Minuses: odd battery size, not as easy to install as a railed light, it's not blindingly bright, finger reach for single-handed use is a bit long and turning it on and off WILL cause muzzle deflection, some may have a little difficulty installing it, it's not a Surefire, you will need a small screwdriver to open the battery box, and the chances of it fitting a holster are slim.

Overall I think it's a great piece of gear for non-duty use on a dedicated HD gun. Especially considering you can get one for about $80.

There is a model with a laser, but I didn't opt for that.
I'm just here for snark.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,573 Senior Member
    That’s actually pretty smart design for non railed guns. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,894 Senior Member
    It is! You just have to understand the limitations. It's not a full-sized light, but a lot of people can get by with lower power. 
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,193 Senior Member
    My nightstand gun for a long time was a P229.  Once Z, Wambli and a few other members made me realize you don't need to aim the gun at a sound in the home to use the light, I wanted one.  If this was available then I would have got one.  Instead, I bought a new gun with a rail for a light.  I may have to look for one, no reason to not have two guns with a light.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,403 Senior Member
    It's that light that I think really upped the game for the little .380 Glock 42.  It's not a full-on fighting gun, and the TLR-6 is certainly not a full-on fighting light, but the combo certainly blurs the lines of what was traditional thought a pocket gun could be.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Diver43 said:
    My nightstand gun for a long time was a P229.  Once Z, Wambli and a few other members made me realize you don't need to aim the gun at a sound in the home to use the light, I wanted one.  If this was available then I would have got one.  Instead, I bought a new gun with a rail for a light.  I may have to look for one, no reason to not have two guns with a light.
    I'm not sure that they make one for a non-railed Sig.  Unfortunately.  But we never know what'll happen in the future.  

I may try this on my Hi Power clone.  
    I'm just here for snark.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,985 Senior Member
    I dig it. I would be really interested in one a little larger, with paddles to turn the light on instead of a button (think a TLR-7 "lite," if you will).
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Update: I tried it on my FEG Hi Power clone. It won't fit right: has a down-angle relative to the bore and line of sight. I have read that the housing for a Kahr or Kimber Micro 9 may work with mods.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,697 Senior Member
    I put one on my wifes G48. It is almost to hard for her to operate one handed. The button could be easier to use.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I think they want to cut down on unintended light discharges. 

I've been practicing and it gets easier. OTOH, I play bass, so that helps with finger strength and stretching. 
    I'm just here for snark.