Home Main Category Clubhouse

Butner NC 4 days High Power

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberWestern PAPosts: 8,194 Senior Member
Had a good week last week, not exceptional, but pretty good.

I shot 3 days of 800 xtc (80 shots, 2 sighters at each position 20 for record, for a total of 88 shots) in a 2400 aggregate, and a EIC on Sunday. Made it to 38th out of 155 in the agg. 9 legs were given out Sunday, I was 13th in non distinguished EIC so no points this year. I had moments of brilliance bracketed by "Why did you do that you idiot?" Had a hard time at 600. The flags were almost useless, and I am not good at reading mirage, but I got better as I went. The wind at Butner isnt strong, but it is wierd. Pines to each side and at the berm so you seem to get some tunneling and even an updraft at times unless it is coming out of the south.

First day was Ok. I had changed a lot of things in my standing over the winter and the dryfire mostly paid off.
Day 1. 188-1x hind feet, 195-5x on the butt with a bad trigger control double tap. NPA was dead on so I got a 9 out of it. 197-7x prone 300, and 182-1x at 600. 762-14x
Second day the first shot for record I cross fired standing. Sorta recovered and shot a 179-2x. Then a 198-6x sitting (98-100), followed by a 200-9x prone at 300yds. Then... first shot for record at 600 I cross fired. Still shot a 180-5x.  759-22x could have been a real good day but throwing away 20 wont cut it.
3rd day 187-3x on the hind feet. 194-4x on my butt. 190-2x prone at 300, and 189-5x at 600 to put me right on Master class avg of 760-14x
That was enough to pull my real close Expert classification into Master. Told the wife that my preferred pronoun is now Master. She doesnt care.

The EIC went pretty well. (EIC 50 shots, no sighters) Only one real stupid done. A trigger control problem sitting. In the EIC you have to drop into position, so the NPA didnt save me from a 7.
Standing I couldnt buy any 10s in a row. I shot 5 9's, one X and I figured I was in now, followed by a 8 to avg it out and the rest 9's. 90-1x. Sitting I shot a 96-4x with the 7 double tap. Prone 300 I put a 1/2 min left on for a 98-2x. I had gotten a 2 min mirage lesson, and shot a 192-4x at 600. Shot 2 eights due to getting over focused on the mirage and having a wind shift at 600. Ended with 476-11x which is 1 point over a master class avg.

All in all, my goal was to shoot a 95 avg across the course, and I pretty much managed to do that. I was somewhat consistent at each stage on the majority of days. If I can put the good scores together in the same match consistently, this will be a piece of cake :)

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies