Home Main Category Personal Defense

9mm 147gr Speer Gold Dot Gen2 - Terminal Performance

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,446 Senior Member
I’ve been waiting to trap a big enough pig to test the terminal performance of this round that I carry at work. If you remember last year, I believe, I tested the Winchester Ranger 9mm 147gr Bonded (SXT) we were then carrying on a 250lb sow and dropped her inside 8 seconds. 
After we switched to the Speer load, I’ve been waiting on the right pig. Finally, my buddy trapped a, ironically, 147lb boar that would suit for “human size”. 
Shot was 5-7yards quartering towards as I wanted enough pig to stop/catch the bullet. 
At the shot, he ran across the holding pen and hit the off side fence, stopped, sat down at 7 seconds, and fell over at 8 seconds. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,446 Senior Member
    Entrance

Broke 1 rib on entrance. Lots of coagulated blood in the chest cavity. 

Bullet nicked the front/left lobe of the lungs and entered the aortic arch. 

edited May 9 #3
    Exit

The bullet exited the off side middle of the heart, passed through the right/rear portion of the lungs, through the ribs, and lodged under the hide on the off side. 

About 17” of penetration!

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,767 Senior Member
    I would say that is a good performing bullet.
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 107 Member
    That the G2 load with the polymer, like it looks to be?
    It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor, would you be mine, could you be mine?
    GrapeApe said:
    That the G2 load with the polymer, like it looks to be?
    👍🏻
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,544 Senior Member
    Great results I would say. Great report as always.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 2,965 Senior Member
    That’s pretty impressive performance and more penetration than I expected.  Which gun?
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    That’s pretty impressive performance and more penetration than I expected.  Which gun?
    G47
    Zee said:
    G47
    Cool, thanks for the info. I wonder if you’d get the same performance from a slightly shorter barreled gun like a 48.  My guess is that you would since barrel length difference is only .32”.  Don’t know if the difference in velocity from the two guns would be substantial.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    Perfect shot placement as usual. Very impressed with the retained weight. Hell, very impressed with the overall performance. 
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,320 Senior Member

Cool, thanks for the info. I wonder if you’d get the same performance from a slightly shorter barreled gun like a 48.  My guess is that you would since barrel length difference is only .32”.  Don’t know if the difference in velocity from the two guns would be substantial.
    FWIW, I chrono'd the Winchester 147gr SXT out of a Gen 5 Glock 17 - factory spec for the load is 990fps and I averaged 1008 For anybody who's curious, a 16" Ruger carbine threw it at 1108).  Figure the worst case for the shorter barrel of a 48 is that it'll be going as fast as the factory says it should.

That's about as textbook desirable for a pistol as I can conjure. Thanks for the bacon-flavored science!  :)
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Zee said:
    G47
    Here are my velocities between the 19/47 with the two bonded rounds. 

Damn!  That's close.  Thanks!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Interesting, the velocities you got track EXACTLY to what the Speer website has posed AND they are not LE Only anymore.  Good I need a new batch of EDC ammo, good timing!!!  Thanks again for sharing this great information.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬

Pretty impressive.  Should be great carbine ammo!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    edited May 10 #18
    I’ve hit IPSC steel at 100,200,300 yards with that GD, and the G47 with the ACRO on top. 
    Zee said:
    I’ve hit IPSC steel at 100,200,300 yards with that GD, and the G47 with the ACRO on top. 
    You always said, "If you can see it..." but that takes that handgun/ammo combination to a different level.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 895 Senior Member
    What was the time to death/incapacitation when you used the .40?  Have you done one with the .45acp yet?
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
    Accipiter said:
    What was the time to death/incapacitation when you used the .40?  Have you done one with the .45acp yet?
    The .40 was about the same time if I remember correctly. On its side in about 8 seconds-ish. 

Have not used a .45 ACP up close. Just the one pig I shot a few years ago at about 35 yards and that was dismal. Shot her twice and zero expansion on both 230gr HydraShok rounds. The one that stayed in her looked like it could be reloaded. She ran about 200 yards across a field before falling over. 

That’s not to say a different bullet wouldn’t work better up close. Or even that same bullet. But, it turned me off. 

My handloads for my .45 ACP pistols are 185gr Speer GD bullets and I’d like to test them. 
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 895 Senior Member
    Thanks.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,483 Senior Member
    Good stuff!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Zee said:
    Accipiter said:
    The .40 was about the same time if I remember correctly. On its side in about 8 seconds-ish. 

Have not used a .45 ACP up close. Just the one pig I shot a few years ago at about 35 yards and that was dismal. Shot her twice and zero expansion on both 230gr HydraShok rounds. The one that stayed in her looked like it could be reloaded. She ran about 200 yards across a field before falling over. 

That’s not to say a different bullet wouldn’t work better up close. Or even that same bullet. But, it turned me off. 

My handloads for my .45 ACP pistols are 185gr Speer GD bullets and I’d like to test them. 
    I’d love to see that test.  I’ve gone to 185gr GDs in +P as my load for 1911 carry even though that is happening less and less nowadays, actually almost never anymore…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬

Oh hush…. 🤬
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬