Home Main Category Clubhouse

What are these Jeeps really like.

ojrojr Senior MemberPosts: 1,333 Senior Member
2- 4 door wrangler 2014-2018, as they are quite expensive here.
 would prefer 4 door, talking 3.6L v6 engine, any model, must be 4x4
Diesel over here is now nearly as dear as petrol and with higher rego and road tax the comparison is starting to be made by many people.
The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
 Reuters, Dec 2020.

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,083 Senior Member
    edited June 6 #2
    JKS and JKUs are great vehicles that lasted over a decade as a product.  That should tell you something.  I routinely see them for sale with well over 200,000 miles on them and still going strong.  Mid 100,000s don’t last long on the used market here.

After owning a 2 door Rubicon and a Rocky Mountain Edition I never thought I’d be a fan of the 4 door Wrangler but after owning a JKU now I’ll never own a 2 door again.  It’s great having the extra room for people/gear and it takes basically nothing away from the off-road capabilities I need.

Plus they are the AR of the car world, basically a Lego toy for big boys.  There is so much aftermarket stuff out there you can make the vehicle into exactly what you want with little effort. 

I’ll never be Jeepless again 👍👍👍

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,179 Senior Member
    edited June 6 #3
    I wouldn't have a 4 door - for MY purpose which is strictly a toy. With that said, the 4 door should have been introduced about 1948 as it makes a lot of sense for a lot of people. Avoid the 3.8 engine: 2007-2011 as I recall. The 3.6 is a good motor by all accounts, I don't know anything about the diesel as I'm in diesel adverse USA. In general, I'll take a diesel over ANY gas motor, but there's nothing worse than a bad diesel engine, and there's been quite a few of those over the years.

I could do without the plastic dash in any post YJ jeep, and certainly don't want the ginormous screen in the middle of it like the JLs have. I have a TJ ('97-'06) which some regard as "peak Jeep".
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    They don't make Jeeps any more.  What they have are 4x4 cars that look like Jeeps.  Who ever heard of a Jeep having carpeting and panels...

I've been looking to get a real Jeep for years, but whenever I find one I like, they want too much money for it, and that includes Jeeps that are half broken and/or torn up seats or need serious paint...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,333 Senior Member
    So, unless a person is a real fan there doesn't seem to be the love I thought there would be
    I also only know one person with a wrangler over here  and he seems a bit like Wambli, loves it, wouldn't have much else  so maybe  it's a passion thing.
    trouble is all they sell here is mid /small sized trucks with diesel engines, European diesel engines that simply don't seem to last as long as others.
    I'd like to have a 4L v6 or Barra engine in mine.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 6,052 Senior Member
    Unpopular opinion, but Jeeps are a one-trick pony. You can use them for normal vehicle stuff, but where they're really home is navigating barely passable forest service roads, rock crawling, etc. For everything else they're loud to drive, have a ton of body roll, and objectively poor performance. I say this as a guy who has logged 100's of miles on trails at Moab and across the Rockies, and for a long time my DD was a moderately lifted Tacoma. I've tried to talk myself into a JLU a few times, but every time I drive one I remember why I don't love them.

On the plus side, if true off road capabilities is what you desire (I strongly disagree that modern Wranglers are just Jeeps in name, they retain the capabilities of their namesakes quite well), and you're willing to put up with it just being okay for everything else, a 4-door JKU or JLU may be just the ticket.

My next DD will likely be a PHEV, but if I find my life becoming less nomadic, I could talk myself into a JK or similar as a weekend vehicle pretty easily.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Unpopular opinion, but Jeeps are a one-trick pony. You can use them for normal vehicle stuff, but where they're really home is navigating barely passable forest service roads, rock crawling, etc. For everything else they're loud to drive, have a ton of body roll, and objectively poor performance. I say this as a guy who has logged 100's of miles on trails at Moab and across the Rockies, and for a long time my DD was a moderately lifted Tacoma. I've tried to talk myself into a JLU a few times, but every time I drive one I remember why I don't love them.

On the plus side, if true off road capabilities is what you desire (I strongly disagree that modern Wranglers are just Jeeps in name, they retain the capabilities of their namesakes quite well), and you're willing to put up with it just being okay for everything else, a 4-door JKU or JLU may be just the ticket.

My next DD will likely be a PHEV, but if I find my life becoming less nomadic, I could talk myself into a JK or similar as a weekend vehicle pretty easily.
    Tires, tires, tires.  Everyone (including Jeep) puts all terrain tires on vehicles that end up spending 99% of their life’s on the road.  My last two jeeps had truck highway tires because….  I’m not crawling rocks all day long.  

But even with these tires, a few weeks ago I had to borrow my wife’s Mazda CX-9 for the day and went to see one of my partners.  To get to one of their ranges you have to go up a loose gravel trail that was carved into the mountain at an ungodly angle.  Everyone parks at the bottom of the hill and get taken up by range owned UTVs.  My wife’s car was sliding backwards when I tried to get up there.  My Jeep in 4H doesn’t even recognize the incline…. And I even have Apple CarPlay 😎

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,807 Senior Member

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,702 Senior Member
    I had one that gave no trouble at all.  A good, reliable vehicle.  It was uncomfortable on longish trips, noisy, not well sprung for comfort, but I would recommend it in the 2 door style to anyone who wants a jeep.  It's NOT a family car for taking the kids to school or for quiet Sunday drives. It does well in the woods but probably no better than a good 4x4 pickkup.  
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    One of my best memories was running down a Georgia tank road in Ft Stewart after 2 days or rains and out running 3 lifted Dodge trucks on 36” tires with my little Wrangler, mostly stock with a professionally installed 2” lift and BFG 32” AT tires.  My little guy was tracking straight while the “big rigs” were slipping and skidding off that Georgia red clay road 😎

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

edited June 7 #11

To a degree, this is correct. I don't have a problem with my '06 TJ's on-road performance, but you sure as hell can't haul anything in it. Can't tow much with it either, despite a powerful engine and low gearing. 

The newer ones have too much plastic, are too big, and have too much "technology". {INSERT MODERN CAR TECH RANT HERE}

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,911 Senior Member
    I will share some of my experience with jeeps, other people may have other opinions. I have had an 11 2 door, a 13, 15 and currently a 17 four door. I have put over 400,000 miles on them collectively. They have some good things and a lot of bad things. If it wasn't the only thing I can use to do my job I would I wouldn't own one. If you look at one with a pentastar v6 look down in the valley with a flashlight and see if there is any oil. At least in climates where it gets hot and cold the oil cooler-oil filter housing will crack and leak. Make sure there is no oil on the inside of the front tires, the axle seals will fail and they are inboard so that is a over $1000 job. Clock springs should be sold in a bulk pack no longer than they last, there have been recalls on several of them. Then there is the wiring, have fun with that. Maybe if you just drive around on the highway and want to look manly they would be OK but if you drive a lot of gravel and dirt then find an older one. My 17 is in the shop now waiting on a transmission at 90,000 miles for only $3800. I bought a 91 Mitsubishi Pajero so I could keep working.     
    It isn't looking great
    I asked about them over here as well and I'm told to get the Penstar engine over the older 3.8
    There is a 2011 4dr in a striking Maroon/red with black trim and roof locally
    It has 45Thousand Km 28 thousand miles roughly and the 3.8l Egine I belive
    Sticker price is 44Thousand NZD or again roughly on todays exchange rate 28Thousand USD
    It is the Unlimited  Sahara model..
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 373 Member
    Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
    ojr said:
    It isn't looking great
    I asked about them over here as well and I'm told to get the Penstar engine over the older 3.8
    Sticker price is 44Thousand NZD or again roughly on todays exchange rate 28Thousand USD
    I looked this morning on Carvana (just curious) and that’s pretty much in line with current US Prices and actually pretty good for a Sahara trim level.   For some reason low mileage 2011-2012 seem to be desirable jeeps especially if they have not been heavily modified.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

ojr said:
    It isn't looking great
    I looked this morning on Carvana (just curious) and that’s pretty much in line with current US Prices and actually pretty good for a Sahara trim level.   For some reason low mileage 2011-2012 seem to be desirable jeeps especially if they have not been heavily modified.
    Pre 3.8L JK/JKUs are apparently considered the pinnacle of Jeep by many in the community.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    ojr said:
    It isn't looking great
    Pre 3.8L JK/JKUs are apparently considered the pinnacle of Jeep by many in the community.
    Interesting!  Did not know that.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

GrapeApe said:
    Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket
    They can be if you go crazy with upgrades.  Just like ARs.  Legos for adults…

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,559 Senior Member
    What is the market price on one of  the used Ford Ranger clones with  the diesel motor? You can always run french fry oil if it is warm out ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Your diesel Ranger in the same vintage will go 25- 27 thou NZD
    the 3.2L motor has a bad history over here.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,559 Senior Member
    ojr said:
    Your diesel Ranger in the same vintage will go 25- 27 thou NZD
    the 3.2L motor has a bad history over here.
    That's too bad, seemed like a good idea, we cannot have that configuration in the U.S.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,594 Senior Member
    New Zealand?  Aren't you living in the land of diesel Toyotas?  Seems a no-brainer to me.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Yip we are and I've run a couple over the year
    Trying to look for a petrol alternative, I have little faith in Modern European small capacity diesels with a million gears and turbo Chargers.
    I could go back to an older  Toyota Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol with the 4L/4.2L engines though finding a good one is hard and they go for an arm and a leg.

Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 936 Senior Member

ojr said:
    Trying to look for a petrol alternative, I have little faith in Modern European small capacity diesels with a million gears and turbo Chargers.
    I could go back to an older  Toyota Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol with the 4L/4.2L engines though finding a good one is hard and they go for an arm and a leg.

Hard to disagree, I'm running an '08 Ranger and I have had a few offers for it which beggar belief.

I won't part with it, because like I said to the last offer, I can't get a modern equivalent short of dropping 100K on a new landcruiser ute, which isn't happening in this lifetime.

I have a real soft spot for Patrols, that TD42 engine is phenomenal.

I don't have much regard for a jeep's offroad performance, local 4x4 clubs ranks would speak to that as well....

To be honest the best 4x4 vehicle I ever saw was an L200 4x4 Mitsi with a big lift and tractor tyres, not really practical for daily driving but it got 13 planters into some pretty hairy blocks.

Going to throw something out there, might not work for you, they don't for me because I'm 6' 7" tall,
    but have you had a look at the older Samurai's or the new Jimny's? I love them, I just can't do more the half an hour at the wheel before I start getting sore.
    Not hugely powered, the older ones at least though were awesome for skipping over the rough stuff rather then bogging down.
    ojr said:

I'd toss out the recent V6 Toyota 4-Runners then.  My Dad had a 2010 that was our hunting rig for about 5 years.

Having owned a '78 FJ-40, I would equate the 4-Runner in concept - roughly - to the intermediate wheelbase FJ-43 (which we never had imported to the U.S.).  It is probably 90% as off-road capable as the short wheelbase FJ, and about 1,000,000% more comfortable to ride in.

It is considerably more nimble on trails than the full size Tundra he replaced it with, but he found himself with a need to haul more stuff.

WWJMBD?

Yip a 4ish Ltr motor in a vehicle my size would be the bee knees I reckon.
    They put then in the Prado's and there was some in utes some years back but they dissappeared pretty fast.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
    A handy features on some of the Toyota automatic transmissions is that you can quickly shift them into a mode that gives you manual shifting.  It never really got any use except for a brief "this is amusing" drive on my wife's Scion XB or my minivan, but on the trucks it allows you to lock it into first or second gear which prevents the automatic from upshifting and accelerating you when coasting downhill.  Very nice for those drive-and-glass deer hunts.
    WWJMBD?

Bigslug said:
    A handy features on some of the Toyota automatic transmissions is that you can quickly shift them into a mode that gives you manual shifting.  It never really got any use except for a brief "this is amusing" drive on my wife's Scion XB or my minivan, but on the trucks it allows you to lock it into first or second gear which prevents the automatic from upshifting and accelerating you when coasting downhill.  Very nice for those drive-and-glass deer hunts.
    Locking it into a lower gear can be done with any autobox - I've been doing it for years. Use it to downshift and slow down too. Manual mode would be nicer, but as far as downshifting goes, they all can do it.

)O(
    The newer ones , as has my Colorado have a Hill decent
    You put it in low box and lock in in to a gear, the vehicle takes care of itself 
    I bit unnerving holding a foot a 1/2 inch above the brake on a steep decent but the vehicle handles it well enough, so far.
    Doubt my foot will ever be far from that brake pedal.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,620 Senior Member
    I have a 2006 TJ with the 6.0l and a six speed manual. I love it.  It has 33” underneath it. Yes there is body roll, road noise and lack of some comforts. All this to say I’ve driven it to Montana twice 550 miles for here, and have crawled up some serious forest service roads with satisfaction. I really like the spartan interior, I hate all the tech in new cars….. the Jeep suits me 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.