Home Main Category Clubhouse

NOT your dad's Maglite! Another light post.

Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
Maglite use to be THE light to own but over the years many others have left them in the dust.  I’m glad they seem to be starting to try to dig themselves out of the hole.

I’ve been highly disappointed with several “big” flashlights I’ve bought to live in the Jeep.  I have a holder designed for a C or D flashlight mounted on the seat carriage on the driver side so I can reach down with my left hand and easily grab a big light.

After searching a bit I bumped into this baby.  It’s a new 3 D cell LED model and has 3 variable intensity outputs plus strobe, lens zoom from spot to flood, and 5 programmable modes so you can change the order of the settings on the on/off switch.  

On the highest setting it’s almost 700 lumens and has a beam reach from one mountain to another.   On the lowest setting it gives you enough light to look for keys or work under the hood of the car and it’ll go over 200 hours.  The machines knurled grip is aggressive enough that even with soaked hands you are not dropping this one.  It’s also IPX 7 rated so it’s submersible to 1 meter. 

Built in the USA and as well put together as I remember the old ones to be.  All this for about $70-$100 depending on color/finish.  I just got basic black.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,656 Senior Member
    And, you can smack things that need smacking with a Maglite...... I still have them in a couple of my vehicles
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,748 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    And, you can smack things that need smacking with a Maglite...... I still have them in a couple of my vehicles
    Yep, an old friend of mine spent a little time in the slammer because someone pushed him a little to far while he was holding a maglight!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    sakodude said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Yep, an old friend of mine spent a little time in the slammer because someone pushed him a little to far while he was holding a maglight!
    Like any other SD tool (guns included), the first thing you need to do is make sure you’re legally green lighted to use it.  But it’s certainly a legit SD weapon if necessary to use it as such.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

sakodude said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Good friend used to EMT/Paramedic in Hennepin Co.(Minneapolis), 4D Maglites were the preferred light if things were sketchy, a light tap to a clavicle got peoples focus reorientated 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    I've accumulated 4 maglites over the years, a pair of 2-Ds and a pair of 3-Ds. All either are, or have been converted to, LED. I like them, blah, blah - BUT - maglite REALLY needs to stop making them completely round for their entire length. You can't put one down anywhere and have it stay put!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,552 Senior Member
    Good looking light.
    Can you make a supressor from it?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    zorba said:
    I've accumulated 4 maglites over the years, a pair of 2-Ds and a pair of 3-Ds. All either are, or have been converted to, LED. I like them, blah, blah - BUT - maglite REALLY needs to stop making them completely round for their entire length. You can't put one down anywhere and have it stay put!
    You always set them lens down...

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

Diver43 said:
    Good looking light.
    Can you make a supressor from it?
    I guess…

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

zorba said:

That works great if you need to see something under a glass tabletop or similar!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,220 Senior Member
    Nice----when I was a teen we had to wrap a rag around a stick, soak the rag in fuel oil and light it with a flint and steel.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,552 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Nice----when I was a teen we had to wrap a rag around a stick, soak the rag in fuel oil and light it with a flint and steel.
    You had steel when young?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,031 Senior Member
    "Young" is a relative term. Or geological. 
    I'm just here for snark.
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,220 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    NN said:
    Sorry, I was just used modern terminology----did not want to confuse anyone with the word iron.

NN said:
    That’s how you chased the monster right?!?!? 😱

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,031 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Diver43 said:
    NN said:
    Sorry, I was just used modern terminology----did not want to confuse anyone with the word iron.

And this is one of the reasons NN is one of my favorite people here.
    I'm just here for snark.
    "Young" is a relative term. Or geological. 
    Yep. Anything above the K-T boundary can be considered "young"... ;)

)O(
  • dlddld Member NE FlaPosts: 467 Member
    zorba said:
    put a zip tie around the base and it will only roll 1 revolution and stop or 2 for a 1/2 roll
    dld said:
    zorba said:
    put a zip tie around the base and it will only roll 1 revolution and stop or 2 for a 1/2 roll
    That's actually a great idea! I'll do that - THANX!

)O(
    zorba said:
    zorba said:

That works great if you need to see something under a glass tabletop or similar!
    Oh I misunderstood what you were saying.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Western PAPosts: 8,229 Senior Member
    Maglite lens down is the best way to drain the battery.............
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Why?  Not that I’d ever store it that way…

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• JayJay Senior Member New Mexico/TexasPosts: 4,545 Senior Member
    I've always had a Maglite in my vehicles.  I have an older 3-D LED that I like.  A few other various old, non LED models up to 5-D.

One thing that sucks about them is, if you forget about one for too long and the batteries leak, you pretty much just throw it in the trash.  I've tried like crazy to get corroded batteries out of them and haven't found a way to do it yet.  I have a box of spare parts from so many Maglites that I've thrown away after stealing all the parts I could off of them.  I don't buy Maglite any more.  Just using up the last of the ones I've had for a long time.  Might check that new model out though.  Looks kinda nice.
    All the electrons run out of the end of the lite... ;)

)O(
    zorba said:
    All the electrons run out of the end of the lite... ;)
    Well that explains it 🤣

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

edited June 2022 #26
    BTW I could never figure out a good place for a big 3 battery C or D cell light for the vehicle.  Amazon, just under $20.  Fits on the rails, does not impeded seat movement and holds the light securely and still swift to deploy.  

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

I just noticed my local ACE Hardware has some aluminum Halogen and LED models in stock still, 2D, 3D, and 4D, no mini Maglights left though :(  
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I just noticed my local ACE Hardware has some aluminum Halogen and LED models in stock still, 2D, 3D, and 4D, no mini Maglights left though :(  
    Until recently Lowes carried them but now they are pushing their own brand.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

That's a nice setup - unfortunately, it wouldn't work on my TJ. I ended up putting it on the side of the shift console/bezel thing:

)O(
    That looks like it works well!

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎