Home Main Category Clubhouse

Weather report: August right? Yeah.... not here

Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 5,421 Senior Member
edited August 2022 in Clubhouse #1
Summer can kiss my derrière...  I HATE hot weather and thankfully the summer here is very mild.  Yesterday wife, dog and I jumped in the Gladiator to explore.  In the mountains it was a balmy 68 degrees at 1:30 in the afternoon then dipped to 64 around 4:00.  

Stopped at Mast General Store for a trip back in time.  This is NOT a tourist trap like most of this type store.  The original store (opened in 1882) and it is basically an "Outfitter" type place that still sells a 5¢ cup of coffee and sodas in glass bottles.  They have quality outdoor gear/clothing, a GREAT knife shop, and REALLY knowledgeable sales people that are NOT on commissions!  They also have the town post office by the front door.  

Picked up a few goodies, had a great dinner with the wife and headed home with a clearer mind ready to take on the week.  It's high 50s, low 60s at night for the rest of the week and mid 70s to low 80s during the day and then Sept will be here and temps will start getting pleasant again.  Can't wait to ditch the darn t-shirts...

Hope you guys had a good weekend too.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 12,758 Senior Member
    Lucky you
    Spent the weekend loading a 16 foot truck then hooked up the car trailer today for blast off tomorrow.  Oh yea it was 94 with feels like in the 100s
    Did I mention the humidity was high enough it was raining?
    Glad your enjoying.  
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayJay Posts: 4,629 Senior Member
    This is my second least favorite time of year here. Hot and humid. And mosquitoes.. Just under 100 today plus stupid humidity. Only dislike spring more, when it’s windy and blowing dirt every day. Supposed to start raining tomorrow night and looking like possibly get a couple inches or more between Wednesday and Saturday. Gonna be wet and muddy. But supposed to cool off to 90 tomorrow and 80s the rest of the week. Finally got a roof on my shop, so gives me something to do while it’s cooler and raining. 
  • sakodudesakodude Posts: 4,882 Senior Member
    Spent the weekend at a lake in Wisconsin blasting around on an 800HP tri-toon!! What a rush that was!
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Posts: 6,112 Senior Member
    It hit 115 where I'm at the last few weeks. This morning I was up during the wee hours for work related complications, and 80 with a breeze had me reaching for a light sweater. You get used to it, but I am ready to see some snow...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Posts: 14,851 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    Spent the weekend at a lake in Wisconsin blasting around on an 800HP tri-toon!! What a rush that was!
    I see those and wonder how all that horsepower does not create lift under the decking at speed and flip them
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 5,421 Senior Member
    It hit 115 where I'm at the last few weeks. This morning I was up during the wee hours for work related complications, and 80 with a breeze had me reaching for a light sweater. You get used to it, but I am ready to see some snow...
    I remember laughing when my daughter told me low 90s meant a hoodie at night…. That’s crazy to me 🤣

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• Big Al1Big Al1 Posts: 8,814 Senior Member
    Looks like my kind of place!!
  • JayJay Posts: 4,629 Senior Member
    NWS forecast this morning is calling for 2-3" of rain here starting tonight and lasting a week or so.  Was really hoping my material guy could get me 2 or 3 loads of sand/gravel material to put around my new building slab and fix up my driveway before the rain hits.  He's not calling me back.  Seems to be a trend these days.. It's going to be a mud pit at my place for the next couple weeks.
  • zorbazorba Posts: 25,286 Senior Member
    The only thing worse than hot weather is cold weather. Some places get so cold that water freezes and falls from the sky into HUGE piles! No thank you.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Big Al1 said:
    Looks like my kind of place!!
    Holding a spot for you 😎

74° the high today.  Have to wait ‘til Saturday to break 80° According to the forecast.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

Jay said:
    NWS forecast this morning is calling for 2-3" of rain here starting tonight and lasting a week or so.  Was really hoping my material guy could get me 2 or 3 loads of sand/gravel material to put around my new building slab and fix up my driveway before the rain hits.  He's not calling me back.  Seems to be a trend these days.. It's going to be a mud pit at my place for the next couple weeks.
    We have been having Florida weather here.  Afternoon thundershowers every day that last 15 mins.  Just enough that lawn sprinklers do not turn on…

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• JayhawkerJayhawker Posts: 18,360 Senior Member
    We have had an incredibly mild summer here in Northern Lower Michigan...Typical days with highs in the 70s and 80s...Lows in the 50s...definitely not a normal summer...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    We have had an incredibly mild summer here in Northern Lower Michigan...Typical days with highs in the 70s and 80s...Lows in the 50s...definitely not a normal summer...
    Sounds perfect to me!

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

zorba said:
    The only thing worse than hot weather is cold weather. Some places get so cold that water freezes and falls from the sky into HUGE piles! No thank you.
    We had two snowstorms last year.  One was about 8”, neither was a big deal…

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• sakodudesakodude Posts: 4,882 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    sakodude said:
    I see those and wonder how all that horsepower does not create lift under the decking at speed and flip them
    Not a clue. perhaps being a Tri-Toon there is not enough flat surface left to act as an air foil. Water was a bit rough so we only got to about 35mph but the owner has had it up to 64mph on calm water.
  • drsfefa1drsfefa1 Posts: 45 Member
    Triple digits here everyday the last few weeks. I've said since I moved to the high desert that there are 3 beautiful seasons a year here. Summer is NOT one of them!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Posts: 10,941 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    I saw a news release awhile back where Mercury released an all new class of motor. V12 @ 600Hp! Weighs 1260# so they don't try and turn the motor, Just the lower unit turns. That's 2 1/2 tons of motor on the boat on the right (found this pic cause it shows how massive outboards have become)

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • NNNN Posts: 25,236 Senior Member
    Yeah, it is going to be cool here  .
    , too. Only 83.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Posts: 12,429 Senior Member
    Still hitting over 100 every day here with high humidity.  God is doing his best to punish all the SoCal idiots that moved to Austin…. The rest of us just have to deal with the effects
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 576 Senior Member
    Monsoon is here right on schedule. That means high 90s with humidity. Super late afternoon boomers very cool lightning. Lost a tree. 

We can hardly wait for flooded roads and helicopter rescues of drivers that believe they can drive on fast water. 
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 479 Member
    You must have a small gas tank, I get near 600 miles a tank sometimes.   Especially if mostly on the highway.  But I have a 33 gal and it hurts to hit the pump.  Aug is usually very hot and dry here but there has been rain or threats of it all month which means very humid. June and July were brutal.
    BamaakII said:
    You must have a small gas tank, I get near 600 miles a tank sometimes.   Especially if mostly on the highway.  But I have a 33 gal and it hurts to hit the pump.  Aug is usually very hot and dry here but there has been rain or threats of it all month which means very humid. June and July were brutal.
    22 gal capacity with usually a solid 19-20mpg average which is not bad considering there are no flat spots around here.  The 17.9 it shows in the pic is highly unusual and showed the type of driving I was doing that day which was all slow twisty mountain roads.  

Yesterday was spectacular, not a cloud in the sky and the highest it went was 82°.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

zorba said:
    Not a big deal if you're used to it I suppose - you can keep it!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    zorba said:
    zorba said:
    Not a big deal if you're used to it I suppose - you can keep it!
    Not only am I used to it, wife and I actually prefer it.  I can’t wait for summer to be over!  I like pulling a pair of jeans, flannel shirt and a wool sweater out of the closet first thing in the morning.  I’m sick of t-shirts, shorts and flip flops…. Give me hats and boots any day of the week.  20°S-30°s is the perfect temp for me.  As for snow, hell that’s why I own a Jeep and I actually know how to drive in that stuff.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

I actually DO NOT know how to drive in snow - and if it ever snows here, I'm stayin' the Hell home!

)O(
    zorba said:
    I actually DO NOT know how to drive in snow - and if it ever snows here, I'm stayin' the Hell home!
    A useful skill acquired out of necessity.   Most of my life has been spent in climates where if you couldn't drive in snow October to March were going to be tough real months for you.  My wife actually used to wait for the snowstorms to go food shopping.  No traffic and great parking spots!  

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 479 Member
    I did that last winter in CO just so I could drive around in the snow in 4wd.  Only thing is pushing a shopping cart in snow sucks.
    BamaakII said:
    I did that last winter in CO just so I could drive around in the snow in 4wd.  Only thing is pushing a shopping cart in snow sucks.
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes it does….  But the trick is to push the cart the minimum distance to get away from the heavy traffic front door area but staying in the shoveled front of the store and then move the truck to where the cart is.
    😎

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎