Home Main Category General Firearms

Question about a Winchester 37

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 2,512 Senior Member
edited September 4 in General Firearms #1
My neighbor has his late mother's shotgun, a Win 37. It appears to be an early model. He thought it was ruined, but it is in reasonably good shape, some surface rust and light pitting on the barrel and bottom of the receiver, the firing pin was frozen. I've disassembled the gun and all the interior parts are pristine. I freed the firing pin and removed the stock and forend. The forend was taped in place because the forend retainer pin is missing, I have that ordered. The forend shoe is curved, I think it should be flat! I'm I correct? Do I need to straighten this one?

This is another gratis project, This is a keep sake to him, and I'll remove as much rust as best I can then Oxpho Blue the barrel and receiver. I'll clean the stock with hot soapy water, then buff it with 0000 steel wool before applying a few coats of linseed oil to refresh the finish.

One thing I found interesting was the floor wax build up on the but plate and base of the stock. evidently this gun stood behind the kitchen door. I and assume when she waxed the floor she picked the shotgun up waxed under it then set it back down before the wax dried. Its a real pain getting the wax out of all the checkering in the butt plate.

BTW, her initials are in the bottom of the pistol grip.

I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,592 Senior Member
    Forend shoe?

Any chance you could take a look at a schematic (gunpartscorp maybe) and track down the proper name?

There's at least one animation and teardown vid out on the web.  They might contain what you seek.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 382 Member
    Good suggestion from Bigslug
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/winchester/shotguns-win/37-win

I am familiar with win 37. The original stock was lacquered walnut. Might hold off on the linseed oil which will darken the wood and usually remains sticky for awhile. Might smoothing it up with the 0000 steel wool then get it spray lacquered. That is if it really needs refinishing. Might be best choice to leave it as is. 
    On the fore end wait till you get the pin reassemble it and see. My guess is the part you described is just fine so don’t break it attempting to make an unnecessary adjustment. 
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,512 Senior Member
    Thank you Japhy, I tried to get that schematic last night and couldn't. It still doesn't give a good picture of it. The correct name is the "forend shoe". I saw pics of it on eBay, and that's why I think this one is a little bent. They want $75 for an assembly, and I'm not going to invest a lot of money on a gun I'm doing for free. I appreciate the advice on the stock, I'll just clean it up and leave it alone.I don't want to darken any more than it is. 
    I've been surfing the net and found some good pics, it's bent by almost an eighth of an inch. I've been searching the net for an hour and can't find one for under $75. This part is a cast piece. What is the best way to straighten it?
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 8,183 Senior Member
    Put it back in and see if it functions

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 370 Member
    Put it back in and see if it functions

Yeah this ^
    If it's cast, how'd it get bent in the first place without breaking?
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
    Things that aren't right just bother me! I have no idea how bubba bent it, there are two parts to the base and both have a slight curve. I'd like to try to straighten them before dropping the cash.
    edited September 5 #9
    If it works.. it's "right"

Drawings have been known to be incorrect
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,092 Senior Member
    Freezer, from my 1959 Win. parts catalog , Win PN 5037 forearm shoe appears to be curved, WPN 5337 forearm shoe liner looks flat, FWIW the same picture is in the Gun Parts Corp catalog. Hopes this helps.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,701 Senior Member
    Got a 37 for Christmas when I was 14 YOA.  A fine single-barrel gun.  The older ones have "Winchester" on the bottom of the action, etched and red in color. I gave it to my nephew some years back.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    I got a 37a for Christmas also, I hated that gun, though I could shoot it well. A 28 inch full choke 12 gauge that was an inch too long. As a young adult, I cut it and added a recoil pad. It still kicked like three mules! It was the first gun I ever sold. I don't miss it.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,592 Senior Member
    OK. . .Maybe I'm wiggin' here.  100% certain I posted in a thread about a Winchester 97.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I got it back together! I ordered a forend shoe plunger and forend shoe plunger retaining pin from Numrich, that cost about $20. The rest of the restoration was hand work. The forend shoe was bent because Bubba had lost those two parts and couldn't get the forend to fit snug. His first solution was to tighten the forend screw as much a possible, that's what bent the forend shoe. When that didn't work he used a lot of scotch tape to hold it on, I guess he ran out of duct tape. I put the shoe in a vise to begin to straighten it then used a small ball **** hammer to finish the chore, it worked well and is now straight. 

I broke three screwdriver bits trying to get the butt stock bolt loose. I applied "Breakaway" and let it sit a couple of days, still no luck. In desperation, I took it to a gunsmith friend and used one of his largest screwdrivers to get at it. It took all my weight, a crescent wrench and tightening a little before I got it to free up a little. After ten minutes, I had it out. To our amazement, the internals of this gun are pristine. The bolt was not rusted, just in tight and frozen.

The stock was black from crud and years of abuse. When I cleaned it in the sink with hot water and dawn dish soap, the finish was gone, bare wood. The forend was in good condition and cleaned well. In order to get the forend and stock to match, I applied a coat of gun stock oil and let it rest a few days. I didn't want to erase the history of this gun or make it look new, so I didn't sand it or remove the scratches and dents. When it was dry, I applied three coats of spray lacquer to the stock and one to the forend. They match perfectly!

The barrel and receiver had surface rust and minor pitting. After buffing them on a wire wheel I decided they looked great and there was no need to refinish them. A good cleaning and some oil made them look great. The inside of the barrel was nasty looking but to my surprise after I used a with brush, 0000 steel wool, and a drill the barrel looks perfect! No rust or pitting. 

The plastic butt plate was caked with floor wax, and it took multiple coats of HD floor stripper before I got it all out.

The parts arrived Friday afternoon. Yesterday I assembled it and told my neighbor it was done. He couldn't believe the transformation, it still looks like mom's old gun, and wants to shoot it with his brothers soon. My advice was 2 3/4 low brass! I owned a 37a and I know how that gun can kick! 

So of all those who grew up with these guns here to an old work horse.

edited September 11 #15
    Looks GREAT!!!
    I'd be proud to own that
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,442 Senior Member
    Nice work
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,556 Senior Member
    That came out well, good job hey.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 382 Member
    Didn't see the before condition but from your description it was a hot mess
    the reincarnation looks fantastic!  Nice work! and low cost to boot!
    I didn't take befores. I do this all the time and kick myself afterward. I get excited to have a fun, interesting project that I know will turn out, and tear into it before I take pics.

He has a Ranger M34 that needs work, I try to remember to take pics of that. It was made for two years and was a department store Marlin 65.
    I didn't think mine kicked all that bad.  Nice job. They were valued back in the 60s for turkey shoots.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,701 Senior Member
    That turned out nice. You have a knack for rescue!
    edited September 11 #23
    Gene L said:
    I didn't think mine kicked all that bad.  Nice job. They were valued back in the 60s for turkey shoots.
    When I got mine, I was 4'7" and 135 Lb. The last time I shot it, I was 5"8" and 157 lbs. and the stock was an inch too long. Before I shot it the last time, I cut it by 2 inches and put a 1-inch recoil pad on it, but the damage was done. In addition, I had to replace the forend as it had split in two. The 37a was a very nice style, fit and finish were good, but the 28-inch full choke limited its use for me.

The one good thing that came from that shotgun was that it spurred my interest in modifying and restoring guns.
    Mine was modified choke.  I was smaller than you were, never thought about sawing the stock off.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,072 Senior Member
    You did a heck of a job.  That looks great!!!  ❤️

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎