Home Main Category General Firearms

Question about Winchester 37 shotgun

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 2,521 Senior Member
My old gunsmith buddy has a 20 gauge Win 37, He has the frame and barrel but needs a stock and forend. I see on the net there are  16 and 12 gauge parts available, is there a difference in the frame size of the 20 and12 gauge? I know the forend may differ, but is the stock the same?
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• JaphyJaphy Posts: 389 Member
    Freezer you need to change your user to Winchester 37!

I checked the parts list the 12ga and 16ga appear to interchange. The 20ga has separate part numbers for both the stock and fore end assembly which includes the shoe and associated hardware. 

My experience with the 37 is 12ga. I see it was available in 12,16, 20, and 410.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,521 Senior Member
    edited September 25 #3
    Oh, it's a common old gun, I owned a 12 gauge 37a, I refurbished a neighbor's 12 gauge 37 and now my gunsmith buddy is trying to find parts for a 20 gauge 37. He also has a 37a in his attic. Not an uncommon gun, but 20 gauge part aren't easy to come by. From what I see, 12 &16 share parts and 20 &410 share parts.

I just like old guns and hate to see how Rodney and Bubba cared for them.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,121 Senior Member
    Freezer said:
    Oh, it's a common old gun, I owned a 12 gauge 37a, I refurbished a neighbor's 12 gauge 37 and now my gunsmith buddy is trying to find parts for a 20 gauge 37. He also has a 37a in his attic. Not an uncommon gun, but 20 gauge part aren't easy to come by. From what I see, 12 &16 share parts and 20 &410 share parts.

I just like old guns and hate to see how Rodney and Bubba cared for them.
    I know that one all too well.  It has gotten me in a lot of trouble over the years and has given me a stack of “project” guns… 🤣

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• lancebanyonlancebanyon Posts: 35 Member
    I have a 20 gauge model 37 that I foolishly had the stock cut down and pad installed for my wife, it was a new gun and she fired it exactly once. I've been looking for an uncut stock for it for many years....no luck.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,702 Senior Member
    Gunpartscorps (Numrich) has stocks for $115.  Finished.  That's a lot, but I think the model 27 is worth the expense.  Also, as for value, you'd be increasing the value from now ($100?) to probably worth $300 or more.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.