Home Main Category General Firearms

Double barrels/Over & Under's single/double triggers

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberJ&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,551 Senior Member
I admit, I have no experience with single triggers on a double barrel or over and under.  I have my pops old AYA double barrel from the early 50's.  It has two trigger and works great.  For the life of me, I can't understand why they changed to a single trigger system.

My question, is a single trigger system better, if so how.  I can't see a follow up shot being faster than having two triggers.

Educate me on this please.

Thanks
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,622 Senior Member
    I've shot both and yes the single trigger is a hair faster.  NOW, in practical terms, I believe that is only really useful if you miss the first shot and are still tracking the same target.  For me, reality is that if you have multiple targets having to move your finger from trigger 1 to trigger 2 while acquiring your sight picture on second target is really not an issue and probably a desirable speed bump so you don't rush shot number 2.

My Weatherby Orion is a single trigger gun and I can let go of two shots fast enough that it makes it almost sound like one.  No real practical application for such a thing...

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,551 Senior Member
    Is it one pull for the first shot, a further pull for the second shot?  Sort of like a two stage trigger.  Or one pull, move a lever and pull again? Sorry, I've just never handled one and I have no idea.

Is it one pull for the first shot, a further pull for the second shot?  Sort of like a two stage trigger.  Or one pull, move a lever and pull again? Sorry, I've just never handled one and I have no idea.
    Pull - trigger resets during recoil for second barrel - pull.  The safety selector moves sideways and lets you decide which barrel fires first.  If you need to dry fire the gun (ALWAYS USING SNAP CAPS), you pull the trigger on the first barrel, smack the butt against the floor and pull the trigger for the second barrel.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

edited October 2022 #5
    I don't think I've seen a two trigger setup in any of the "competition" guns (trap, skeet, sporting clays) in a loooooong time because it is faster to have a single trigger.  BUT, take this observation with a grain of salt, I have not shopped for a "sporting" shotgun for a while, but the ones I own and have owned have all been single trigger setup.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,551 Senior Member
    Pull - trigger resets during recoil for second barrel - pull.  The safety selector moves sideways and lets you decide which barrel fires first.  If you need to dry fire the gun (ALWAYS USING SNAP CAPS), you pull the trigger on the first barrel, smack the butt against the floor and pull the trigger for the second barrel.
    Gotcha thanks, makes sense now!

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member

What he said.......I have shot with both in competition and in the field. Using either, if you are 'in tune' with your shotgun, there is no conscious thought required....you swing and the gun goes off at the right time.
    What can screw with your mind is a 'release trigger' (normally used by competition shooters who develop a flinch).  You shoulder the gun, squeeze the trigger and hold it, then call for the target, swing, and let the trigger go when you take the shot.........second shot you squeeze the trigger in the normal way...

I have tried one out of curiosity........( I didnt have a flinch) but getting your mind around the fact that if you relax your finger the gun will go off, scared the hell out of me... 
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:

What he said.......I have shot with both in competition and in the field. Using either, if you are 'in tune' with your shotgun, there is no conscious thought required....you swing and the gun goes off at the right time.
    What can screw with your mind is a 'release trigger' (normally used by competition shooters who develop a flinch).  You shoulder the gun, squeeze the trigger and hold it, then call for the target, swing, and let the trigger go when you take the shot.........second shot you squeeze the trigger in the normal way...

I have tried one out of curiosity........( I didnt have a flinch) but getting your mind around the fact that if you relax your finger the gun will go off, scared the hell out of me... 
    Yeah THAT!!!  I could NOT wrap my head around that concept.  Too busy holding on to my poop... 

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,754 Senior Member
    I like double triggers on my SxSs.  I am used to pulling that second trigger.  I loaned my antique Parker with double triggers to a guy shooting a O/U single trigger and he couldn't pull that trigger because he was used to no. 1
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 443 Member
    I second recommendations for single trigger double guns. The browning citori (single trigger) reset is wicked fast!  Have also shot an LC Smith double with 2 triggers and never got used to finding the second trigger with the index finger after the first shot. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,754 Senior Member
    It's what you get used to, I guess.  While it may be faster, if that counts, one advantage for two triggers you can select which barrel you want to fire more positively w/out resetting the trigger.  No doubt, too, pro shooters shoot O/U with single triggers.  And they don't shoot sxs.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L said:
    It's what you get used to, I guess.  While it may be faster, if that counts, one advantage for two triggers you can select which barrel you want to fire more positively w/out resetting the trigger.  No doubt, too, pro shooters shoot O/U with single triggers.  And they don't shoot sxs.
    That’s about right.  You tend to stick to what you learned first unless you find a compelling reason to change like competition or finding another shotgun you fall in love with that has something different.  Then it’s like finding a new girlfriend and you get used to the new one’s quirks.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• 41magnut41magnut Senior Member The Giant Side Of TexasPosts: 1,305 Senior Member
    Wambli, I agree wholeheartedly with your statement.

My Browning SxS has the single trigger. It is the only double barrel I have ever owned. 

I don't shoot shotguns any where as much as I used to, in fact almost never. To this day, on the odd occasion when I try out a two trigger shotgun they may as well be single shots. I get frustrated and embarrassed, I know I can master the double trigger but I don't have an incentive to.

Bottom line it is a training issue.

"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,663 Senior Member
    edited October 2022 #14
    Well, I was walking with my Stoeger 20ga. coach gun this weekend, double triggers. a  summers worth  of sporting clays with the Benelli Montefeltro and I was all sorts of bad shooting pulling the front trigger twice 5X and missing grouse 5X, much  to DeanC's delight, I even patterned the Stoeger at 25 yds afterwards, nope, all me, switched to the Beretta 390 20 ga. and slung lead much better, one grouse and one rabbit after that       
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11