Home Main Category Clubhouse

Observation on EV's

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorPosts: 7,800 Senior Member
My sister took her 2 YO Tesla on its' first real "road trip" last week. Colorado Springs to Pheonix.  A 12 hour drive. Took 17 hours. Average miles between recharging was 160. Average time to recharge was 25-30 minutes per. Consider this a PSA.

Mike
"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
N454casull

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,454 Senior Member
    Wow  everything I have ever read has beginning distance at 220 miles
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,800 Senior Member
    Yeah...what they don't tell you is that temp, elevation, steepness of grade, etc, can make a substantial difference in travel radius. And we live in the mountains. EV's perform even less well in colder climes. I think my sis is going to regret a HUGE financial mistake. 

Mike
    N454casull
    Another thing to keep in mind is that instead of traveling the most direct route, she had to go along the way that actually had recharging stations. That's more a factor than you'd think.

Mike
    N454casull
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,805 Senior Member
    edited October 23 #5
    But she's saving the planet. 🤔
    And to think they're burning wood for electricity in Europe.
    Maybe she should have towed a generator?
    That's all I got.

Paul
    PFD said:
    But she's saving the planet. 🤔
    And to think they're burning wood for electricity in Europe.
    Maybe she should have towed a generator?
    I know. She's 9 years older than me, and was raised by the same father. I still look at her and shake my head sometimes.

Mike
    N454casull
  • Squawk BoxSquawk Box New Member Posts: 109 Member
    Yeah...what they don't tell you is that temp, elevation, steepness of grade, etc, can make a substantial difference in travel radius. And we live in the mountains. EV's perform even less well in colder climes. I think my sis is going to regret a HUGE financial mistake. 

Mike
    She will live to regret getting an EV. Because they are expensive in just about every way, including being time drainers.

Sitting around waiting for a battery to charge must get pretty old after a while.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,120 Senior Member
    My sister took her 2 YO Tesla on its' first real "road trip" last week. Colorado Springs to Pheonix.  A 12 hour drive. Took 17 hours. Average miles between recharging was 160. Average time to recharge was 25-30 minutes per. Consider this a PSA.

Mike
    That why Tesla gives you free Netflix in their cars 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,607 Senior Member
    Hell, I'm running rechargeable FLASHLIGHTS at work to teach low-light handgun techniques, and I have THREE of them to ensure I'm functional without having to wait for the recharge of the others.

According to my Dad (retired, and with a lot more time to follow such things), the manufacturers are starting to smell the coffee and consider the hydrogen options as a more valid option to long recharge times, RARE-earth element batteries, and the fact that we're more than likely still burning SOMETHING and burning it SOMEWHERE to generate the electricity needed to charge these things.

The fact that such things will only appeal to urbanites who never look up from their 20-mile commute has to be factoring in as well.

Another thing I'm curious about is a point brought up in the movie The Martian, in which Matt Damon doubles the range of his rover by adding a second solar-charged battery from a wrecked one, only to completely lose that range by using it's power to run his cabin heater in order to not freeze to death.  The fact that the modified rover also had to carry the weight of the solar panels is conveniently not addressed.  How much does running the climate control - hot or cold - in a Tesla reduce its range?  Do you only get max distance out of one in spring and fall? How's it work out with a trailer?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,993 Senior Member
    I just wonder why EVs don't have a swappable battery system like older school rechargeable flashlights and current power tools, while still allowing in vehicles recharging. 

Seems to me one way to cut down on charging time is to have a charged battery pack waiting to be put in.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 6,052 Senior Member
    Just goes to show that EVs don't meet my needs, yet. Maybe never. I'd still like a PHEV 4-Runner. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    My in-laws in Iowa have a Corolla hybrid. I drove it quite a bit last June. In spite of my expectations, I actually liked it. Although I'll not likely outlive our gas-powered cars, I would consider a hybrid. EVs can suck it.

Mike
    N454casull
    My in-laws in Iowa have a Corolla hybrid. I drove it quite a bit last June. In spite of my expectations, I actually liked it. Although I'll not likely outlive our gas-powered cars, I would consider a hybrid. EVs can suck it.

Mike
    My son drives a Prius…. And as much as I wanted to hate the darn thing I can’t.  Over 50mpg, tons of room in the cabin (he’s 6’3” and 220) and it’s a zippy little thing.  Like I said, I can’t find a thing to hate….

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,808 Senior Member
    I just wonder why EVs don't have a swappable battery system like older school rechargeable flashlights and current power tools, while still allowing in vehicles recharging. 

Seems to me one way to cut down on charging time is to have a charged battery pack waiting to be put in.
    They can't make enough batteries for demand now. How they going to nake extra's.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 379 Member
    edited October 24 #15

jbp-ohio said:
    They can't make enough batteries for demand now. How they going to nake extra's.

Plus, the weight. I have it from an insider, that the battery for the new Mercedes EV weighs in at a "svelte" 3/4 ton (1,500 lbs, 680.3kg). (I don't know the weights of any other EV batteries.)

Not something the average person can swap out
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
    Tesla had a plan a few years back to do just that.  Stations where you would drive up and they would swap your battery for a fully charged one in just a few minutes.  Those batteries are not like empty LP tanks.  They cost $20-30k each and the logistics were a nightmare and I think they finally dropped the idea.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 613 Senior Member
    GrapeApe said:

jbp-ohio said:

Plus, the weight. I have it from an insider, that the battery for the new Mercedes EV weighs in at a "svelte" 3/4 ton (1,500 lbs, 680.3kg). (I don't know the weights of any other EV batteries.)

Not something the average person can swap out
    The current FCA / Stellantis batteries come in at under 500kg.  At least that is what the max weight capacity is for the battery lift tool we have currently.  I know a couple of people who drive these things and never plug in to charge the battery, they just use the gas engine as the generator.  Personally, knowing the types of Walk Home failures (as opposed to 'limp in' modes) that can happen with these turds, I make it a point never to road test one less than an hour before quitting time at work.  Had to walk a mile back to work once, but that was a choice I made to get off work on time instead of waiting for a hook.  Vehicle ended up in an impound lot, but I got home on time 😎
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 6,052 Senior Member

Mike
    My son drives a Prius…. And as much as I wanted to hate the darn thing I can’t.  Over 50mpg, tons of room in the cabin (he’s 6’3” and 220) and it’s a zippy little thing.  Like I said, I can’t find a thing to hate….
    There's no flies on a Prius for what it is. If I did a ton of all city/highway  commuting I would probably have one. In a perfect world I'd have some sort of AWD hybrid or PHEV daily driver, and a 4Runner, Wrangler, or similar weekend toy. However, two cars doesn't work for me right now. 

I'll just cry into my helmet while I put summer miles on my BMW F800GSA at 55mpg. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,226 Senior Member
    Recently had a discussion about EVs and extreme cold with some folks...which generated some questions...
    So how well do those things work at 20 to 40 below zero?
    How long will the battery run the heater in that thing when you slid off the highway and your EV is buried in a snow drift at 20 below?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Mike
    There's no flies on a Prius for what it is. If I did a ton of all city/highway  commuting I would probably have one. In a perfect world I'd have some sort of AWD hybrid or PHEV daily driver, and a 4Runner, Wrangler, or similar weekend toy. However, two cars doesn't work for me right now. 

I'll just cry into my helmet while I put summer miles on my BMW F800GSA at 55mpg. 
    Oh, I'm just heartbroken for you... 

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,181 Senior Member

Mike

My major objection to the Prius is the fact that a ton of expensive tech is thrown at an inefficient gasoline engine to make it more-or-less equivalent to a diesel. A diesel electric hybrid would get my attention real quick!

Plus the Aztek derived simpering look of the thing...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,094 Senior Member
    Very interesting post, learned a lot about EVs, since i'm old and most of my hunting days are over, and I dont drive much, 5 miles to the gun club, 2 mi. to Publix and Ace, 6 -12 mi. to the docs, so i'm looking for a 2012 - 2014 model half Morgan/half Quarter, 1/2 ton mix of clover/alfalfa, and a 10X diaper. If ya know of one PM me 

JAY

PS we'll appreciate any free rides to Colorado and back for late Elk season
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 8,189 Senior Member
    zorba said:

My major objection to the Prius is the fact that a ton of expensive tech is thrown at an inefficient gasoline engine to make it more-or-less equivalent to a 1985 Dodge Omni. A diesel electric hybrid would get my attention real quick!

FIFY
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 389 Member
    A primary issue with EVs is temperature.  Tesla incorporates a heat pump to keep the batteries up to temperature. In a cold climate the heater and defrost must also work running the electric heat pump. At high temps the same heat pump cools the cabin and batteries.  In either case the range is significantly reduced.  Range is also affected by the load, a single 130 lb driver will get longer range than a 200lb driver and 3 200lb passengers.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,393 Senior Member

Mike

Here ya go Mike...

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,993 Senior Member
    I wasn't talking about batteries being user changeable. I know they're heavy. I was thinking more of changing statioms. It's my understanding that Japan has or had a similar system. Of course it will require the car companies to come up with standardized batteries and fitment...

Right now, I think for a commuter car that has to go some distance, a hybrid is the way to go. Coworker has a hybrid Fusion and loves it.

Gonna be a while before alternative fuels replace gas or diesel for work vehicles. 
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    I travel 500-600 miles one way to the places I haul my bike to twice in the summer. There is NFW I could drive a battery powered pickup truck to those places, especially hauling motorcycles in a 20 foot trailer. Battery power can eat it for all I care. Battery powered tools is about as far as I go with this technology. I might as well learn to ride a horse and buggy, like the progressives really want....except they don't like animal farting either.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,181 Senior Member
     Battery powered tools is about as far as I go with this technology.
    I'm not really much on battery powered tools either - exception being a battery powered mini-impact driver. I'd rather just plug in.

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    I bought my first battery powered drill about a year ago, and I actually like it. As long as the battery has a full charge when you start using it, it's pretty handy for outside work when you're far away from an outlet.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 613 Senior Member
    Enzo, Not suggesting that YOU would do such a thing,  but there are some people with non-4xE JLs that have figured out that they can easily bolt the EV Charge port (or non-functional aftermarket facsimile) onto their non-EV JL / JT.  Makes parking a bit more simple in that most businesses or Government offices that have charge ports in the parking lot will be situated very close to the building itself.  Park in the front row and plug right in...
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
    Some_Mook said:
    Enzo, Not suggesting that YOU would do such a thing,  but there are some people with non-4xE JLs that have figured out that they can easily bolt the EV Charge port (or non-functional aftermarket facsimile) onto their non-EV JL / JT.  Makes parking a bit more simple in that most businesses or Government offices that have charge ports in the parking lot will be situated very close to the building itself.  Park in the front row and plug right in...
    I would NEVER do that!!!!!!

But just for entertainment purposes, where would one buy such a thing?  Asking for a friend who's not a very nice person  :D

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎