Home Main Category Clubhouse

Observation on EV's

13»

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,807 Senior Member
    Freezer said:

As far as infrastructure goes, anything new will have it. It's not like gas stations predated cars - they sprang up AFTER the tech started to catch on and were shown to be economically viable. 
    This is true, my point is the charging station will not be free. That will drive up the cost of operation. In addition, the price of electricity has increased by 1/3 this year. With increased demand goes increased prices.
    On the road commercial chargers will cost between $10-$30 for 150-200 miles.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,089 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    Freezer said:

As far as infrastructure goes, anything new will have it. It's not like gas stations predated cars - they sprang up AFTER the tech started to catch on and were shown to be economically viable. 
    This is true, my point is the charging station will not be free. That will drive up the cost of operation. In addition, the price of electricity has increased by 1/3 this year. With increased demand goes increased prices.
    On the road commercial chargers will cost between $10-$30 for 150-200 miles.
    $30 at current prices is about what it cost me to run 200 miles of highway in my Jeep so, meh…

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

I was traveling this AM to get the farthest thing from an EV and I heard a thing about the pollution generated by EV's battery creation vs ICE. You will have to drive an absolute minimum of 20K miles on nothing but wind and solar produced electricity to even out with an ICE engine. Normal would be about 50K for an avg in the US. After that the EV is on par with the pollution caused by mining rare earth minerals with slaves.
    I saw a vid the other day that says we have 400+ years of natural gas IN the US. If they mandate all of these electric cars, trucks, and planes...... less than 40 years of lithium world wide and they can barely keep up production for current EV's (i.e. recent $8500 price increase for Ford Lightning)
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,089 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    I was traveling this AM to get the farthest thing from an EV and I heard a thing about the pollution generated by EV's battery creation vs ICE. You will have to drive an absolute minimum of 20K miles on nothing but wind and solar produced electricity to even out with an ICE engine. Normal would be about 50K for an avg in the US. After that the EV is on par with the pollution caused by mining rare earth minerals with slaves.
    I saw a vid the other day that says we have 400+ years of natural gas IN the US. If they mandate all of these electric cars, trucks, and planes...... less than 40 years of lithium world wide and they can barely keep up production for current EV's (i.e. recent $8500 price increase for Ford Lightning)
    AND we will still have to go through all our fossil fuels to produce electricity since there are no other viable options up and running now or in the near future.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

jbp-ohio said:
    AND we will still have to go through all our fossil fuels to produce electricity since there are no other viable options up and running now or in the near future.
    Why do you think there is a sudden interest in going back to the moon?
    https://www.polytechnique-insights.com/en/braincamps/space/extraterrestrial-mining/helium-3-from-the-lunar-surface-for-nuclear-fusion/
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,595 Senior Member
    There MAY be a temporary measure. . .

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee