Home Main Category General Firearms

How often do you shoot?

JaphyJaphy Posts: 445 Member
how often do you fine people people shoot?

how many rounds in a typical session?

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,671 Senior Member
    edited October 2022 #2
    Not nearly enough these days, averages out to once a month, rationing it to 100 round sessions 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,076 Senior Member
    A lot. 
    I don’t count rounds. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,717 Senior Member
    edited October 2022 #4
    It varies but generally once a week. Depending on what I’m shooting anything from 20 rounds to 500. My range is a 20 minute  scenic drive up owl canyon. The range is on the other side of the top picture in a natural box canyon, well really an open draw with tall hills surrounding it. Driving there is part of the fun! 

Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Zee said:
    A lot. 
    I don’t count rounds. 
    They count 5 gallon buckets of brass……..🤣
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,760 Senior Member
    I need to find a different route there, never seen those views!!
    edited October 2022 #7
    sakodude said:
    I need to find a different route there, never seen those views!!
    Yes you have!  Look south when you pass over owl creek (the sharp curve) granted to are artsy pictures and one during a flash flood, but that’s the drive we make to the range. 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,760 Senior Member
    looks different with water in it :p
  • ojrojr Senior Member New ZealandPosts: 1,341 Senior Member
    I'd say 2-3 times a month, certainly less than I used to due the the component cost, which by the way now has to include fuel.
    Well, over here it does.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • MbellumMbellum Posts: 41 Member
    Depends on the time of year, but I’d say once every week or two.
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 386 Member
    Haven't been out since 9/8. Life has gotten in the way of my fun.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,644 Senior Member
    More than most folks and DEFINITELY not often enough to keep the tip at optimum sharp.  When I was working for the USCCA it was several times per week.  I also had access to some world class trainers with decades of experience and worn out t-shirts that would let me attend and audit classes any time I wanted so the last few years were amazing in the skills and knowledge gathering!

Now I'm back in my old world so it has dwindled to a few times a months and usually my drills with a handgun since this is the most likely skill I'll need to use at some point in my life.

When I go I shoot a few hundred rounds mostly with my carry guns at the very least.  I need to spend some time with my rifles and especially the cowboy guns some of which have not seen a single round.  I'm also planning to start a trap group to do a scheduled shoot a few times a month.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,565 Senior Member
    I used to go to the indoor range 2 or 3 times a month. Have only shot once since I moved at fishead's home range gut that will become often once the wife is well again and we get the house settled in more
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 445 Member
    I usually go to an indoor range 1x / week.  50rds of 9mm and maybe another 50-100 .22 is my allowance these days. used to go to the outdoor facility for a round of trap and the rifle/pistol range but that is a significant drive and requires a reservation and a long list of new rules. I have not been back for about a year.  There are now houses in sight of my old favorite location on BLM land.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,314 Senior Member
    Usually at least once a week if I’m in the home office. Hard to do when I’m on the road, though…

usually it’s around a hundred rounds on handgun.  Usually just getting some stress relief while working
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,678 Senior Member
    Weekly. Round count depends on what I'm trying to accomplish. 
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,836 Senior Member
    I have gone six times..... in the last two years......  :#
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 479 Member
    I used to shoot 1 or 2 times a week at least.  Covid and a wrist injury put a stop to most of it for a longtime.  The wrist is not much better after surgery so maybe 1once a month now.  Can't reload ammo so can't shot much.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member The Giant Side Of TexasPosts: 1,305 Senior Member
    edited November 2022 #19
    Rifles have been the focus for the last few years. At times I seem to spend more time at the loading bench & cleaning than shooting.

- to answer your question -

Dry fire practice, dry fire mixed with live fire.
    Dry fire done in the back yard. I try to mimic a match so 45-60 shots.   
    When I go to the range it depends,
    actual fired rounds will range from 15-20 to 60-70 center fire, to 50-100 22LR)

3-5 days weekly   

In times pass when HG proficiency was my focus, ammo was less costly, & plentiful, and I was more motivated, 3-5 days a week 100-300 rounds a session. 
    If I went pass 300 rounds I felt I was mainly perfectly tuning, practicing & developing bad habits. 

"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo: