Home Main Category General Firearms

How did I mess up as a father

kansashunterkansashunter Senior MemberPosts: 1,911 Senior Member
My sons are visiting this weekend and the oldest told me he had purchased a new rifle. I asked what it was and he told me a Rossi lever action in 357. Well that sounded really interesting, so he went back to his pickup to get it. He handed it to me, oh the horror, I didn't even want to touch it. What kind of frankengun is this. A black plastic stock, an ar style forend and a threaded barrel. I will not subject anyone to a picture. You try your best to raise your children right but I guess they go thier on way, but it still hurts. 
«1

Replies

  • ojrojr Senior Member New ZealandPosts: 1,341 Senior Member
    Yeah, he should have got the 44.
     >:) 
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,663 Senior Member
    Well, how much did it cost him and is it accurate? Cheap and shoots good trumps ugly
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,760 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Well, how much did it cost him and is it accurate? Cheap and shoots good trumps ugly
    I have to disagree. What was done to that lever gun is akin to slamming a 69 mustang mach1 with 24" wheels. It's a crime against all that is righteous and good in the world and should not be condoned :#    
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,038 Senior Member

    I'm just here for snark.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    Ok, kids do stupid things it’s not the end of the world. Someday he will see a real 92 and go “oh I’m in love”. For right now let him play with the “call of duty levergun” and have fun. Kind like the skanky girl he meets before “the one” 
    ……. bwahahahahhaha🤣😉
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,038 Senior Member

    I'm just here for snark.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,038 Senior Member

    I'm just here for snark.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,038 Senior Member
    OTOH, if you live in a state that hates freedom and bans the purchase of new semiautomatic rifles (CA, HI, DE, etc....) a lever action you can easily mount a light and a red dot sight to and that's in a decent defensive chambering ain't a bad idea. 
    I'm just here for snark.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,698 Senior Member
    Truthfully, I'd like to see the levergun get detached from its surrounding Old West traditionalism and get subjected to a little bit of modernization:

    MAINLY:  take the damn loading port off the right side so that a right hander can stay on the firing grip while stuffing rounds in.  Either put it on the left (screw the left-handers, who should have been discarded at birth with the other mal-formed Spartan babies  ;)), or put it on the bottom as on a pump shotgun.

    I'm fine with adding optics and lights, since practically, there's probably little practical advantage between a .357 lever gun and a 5.56 AR-15 inside of 150 yards if bulk reloading doesn't come into play.  Since it's a closed-breech, manual system, the lever gun can also make more effective use of a suppressor.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member OregonPosts: 1,526 Senior Member
    unfortunately there was a TACTICAL phase in the gun world and its one of those.

    At one of the local home improvement shows, some vendor was offering TACTICAL fences.


    The ears never lie.

    - Don Burt
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Truthfully, I'd like to see the levergun get detached from its surrounding Old West traditionalism and get subjected to a little bit of modernization:

    MAINLY:  take the damn loading port off the right side so that a right hander can stay on the firing grip while stuffing rounds in.  Either put it on the left (screw the left-handers, who should have been discarded at birth with the other mal-formed Spartan babies  ;)), or put it on the bottom as on a pump shotgun.

    I'm fine with adding optics and lights, since practically, there's probably little practical advantage between a .357 lever gun and a 5.56 AR-15 inside of 150 yards if bulk reloading doesn't come into play.  Since it's a closed-breech, manual system, the lever gun can also make more effective use of a suppressor.
    While I love traditional leverguns you make a good point. A left side loading gate would be great! A bottom feeder might be an interesting route but might be hard with the mechanics of leverguns, mainly the lever and hot it attaches to the bolt. The BLR with an AR comparable magazine with a 16” barrel with a modern hand guard in 223, 308 ect now there would be a cool rifle. A straight pull option would be cool too. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,622 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    Bigslug said:
    Truthfully, I'd like to see the levergun get detached from its surrounding Old West traditionalism and get subjected to a little bit of modernization:

    MAINLY:  take the damn loading port off the right side so that a right hander can stay on the firing grip while stuffing rounds in.  Either put it on the left (screw the left-handers, who should have been discarded at birth with the other mal-formed Spartan babies  ;)), or put it on the bottom as on a pump shotgun.

    I'm fine with adding optics and lights, since practically, there's probably little practical advantage between a .357 lever gun and a 5.56 AR-15 inside of 150 yards if bulk reloading doesn't come into play.  Since it's a closed-breech, manual system, the lever gun can also make more effective use of a suppressor.
    While I love traditional leverguns you make a good point. A left side loading gate would be great! A bottom feeder might be an interesting route but might be hard with the mechanics of leverguns, mainly the lever and hot it attaches to the bolt. The BLR with an AR comparable magazine with a 16” barrel with a modern hand guard in 223, 308 ect now there would be a cool rifle. A straight pull option would be cool too. 
    And JUST like that I’m crossing your name off the list of my trusted advisors. You on obviously take heavy drugs  🤮

    It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,663 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Well, how much did it cost him and is it accurate? Cheap and shoots good trumps ugly
    I have to disagree. What was done to that lever gun is akin to slamming a 69 mustang mach1 with 24" wheels. It's a crime against all that is righteous and good in the world and should not be condoned :#    
    While you are correct, it is a new Lever gun, not a vintage one modified, I still would not be too bent until I knew what the kid paid and how it shoots, Glocks and Sig 320’s are ugly, but I have those because they shoot😁
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,760 Senior Member

    A proper levergun :#
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    edited October 2022 #16
    FACT! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member

    A real levergun! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Northland, New ZealandPosts: 954 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Truthfully, I'd like to see the levergun get detached from its surrounding Old West traditionalism and get subjected to a little bit of modernization:

    MAINLY:  take the damn loading port off the right side so that a right hander can stay on the firing grip while stuffing rounds in.  Either put it on the left (screw the left-handers, who should have been discarded at birth with the other mal-formed Spartan babies  ;)), or put it on the bottom as on a pump shotgun.

    I'm fine with adding optics and lights, since practically, there's probably little practical advantage between a .357 lever gun and a 5.56 AR-15 inside of 150 yards if bulk reloading doesn't come into play.  Since it's a closed-breech, manual system, the lever gun can also make more effective use of a suppressor.
    I'd like to see a redone Marlin Levermatic in a synthetic stock, with stainless, parkerising or nitrided steel, (something durable and weather proof) that takes Glock magazines in any of the common offerings.

    Hell, even a repro in the original .30 carbine would be something I'd run out to buy.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,760 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:

    A real levergun! 
    Exactly right!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,829 Senior Member
    My sons are visiting this weekend and the oldest told me he had purchased a new rifle. I asked what it was and he told me a Rossi lever action in 357. Well that sounded really interesting, so he went back to his pickup to get it. He handed it to me, oh the horror, I didn't even want to touch it. What kind of frankengun is this. A black plastic stock, an ar style forend and a threaded barrel. I will not subject anyone to a picture. You try your best to raise your children right but I guess they go thier on way, but it still hurts. 
    I'd call Trojan. Sounds like a condom commercial to me..... 
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,911 Senior Member
    He just picked it up on the way here so he hasn't been able to shoot it. I am sure it will do what he intends to do with it but it is ugly and there is no way around that. 
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 453 Member
    edited October 2022 #22
    He just picked it up on the way here so he hasn't been able to shoot it. I am sure it will do what he intends to do with it but it is ugly and there is no way around that
    So are the "Plastic Fantastic" pistols, but they WORK, and I danged sure wouldn't want to be shot with one of them either
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
  • MbellumMbellum Posts: 40 Member
    I agree….but selling guns is selling guns. Hopefully he’ll get a bipod on it!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,313 Senior Member
    https://fightlite.com/herring-mod24

    How about an AR Pattern Lever gun?  One that uses Standard AR Mags, and can have any standard AR upper swapped onto it?

    I am TEMPTED to get one of these so I can put a 7.62x39 Upper on it and have an abomination that will get every faction mad at me.  Traditional shooters, AR Fanatics, AK Lovers… All of them would hate it
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    edited October 2022 #25
    https://fightlite.com/herring-mod24

    How about an AR Pattern Lever gun?  One that uses Standard AR Mags, and can have any standard AR upper swapped onto it?

    I am TEMPTED to get one of these so I can put a 7.62x39 Upper on it and have an abomination that will get every faction mad at me.  Traditional shooters, AR Fanatics, AK Lovers… All of them would hate it
    I like their SCR carbines. I would get a lower if the right opportunity presents itself… it’s what Ruger  should have done as an option. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 453 Member
    Elk creek said:
    https://fightlite.com/herring-mod24

    How about an AR Pattern Lever gun?  One that uses Standard AR Mags, and can have any standard AR upper swapped onto it?

    I am TEMPTED to get one of these so I can put a 7.62x39 Upper on it and have an abomination that will get every faction mad at me.  Traditional shooters, AR Fanatics, AK Lovers… All of them would hate it
    I like their SCR carbines. I would get a lower if the right opportunity presents itself… it’s what Ruger  should have done as an option. 
    You 2 are EVIL  >:)
    I'd never heard of them until today, and now one of their SCR lowers has moved WAY up my WANT list 
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    I was at SHOT the year they introduced those. For good or bad their booth was very popular that year. That gun by itself got a lot of attention. Supposedly a very large Canadian market. 
  • PFDPFD Senior Member PNWPosts: 1,841 Senior Member
    edited October 2022 #28
    Didn't someone post a link to a guy in England that converted a Ruger lever gun to be belt fed?
    😆
    That's all I got.

    Paul
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,038 Senior Member
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    GrapeApe said:
    Elk creek said:
    https://fightlite.com/herring-mod24

    How about an AR Pattern Lever gun?  One that uses Standard AR Mags, and can have any standard AR upper swapped onto it?

    I am TEMPTED to get one of these so I can put a 7.62x39 Upper on it and have an abomination that will get every faction mad at me.  Traditional shooters, AR Fanatics, AK Lovers… All of them would hate it
    I like their SCR carbines. I would get a lower if the right opportunity presents itself… it’s what Ruger  should have done as an option. 
    You 2 are EVIL  >:)
    I'd never heard of them until today, and now one of their SCR lowers has moved WAY up my WANT list 
    Imagine that I enabled someone into a bad want, or new NEED!🤣😉😈
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 1,390 Senior Member
    Well he did show up with a new gun.....must have done something right.


Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement