Home Main Category Clubhouse

Fulfilled a promise to myself

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 8,189 Senior Member
edited October 30 in Clubhouse #1
In the 80's I had this.

A 69 convertible powered by a 350ci/300hp attached to a M21 4 speed. I managed to live through it, and had a great time. However while in college I needed to eat, so it went down the road and I promised I would have another. That was about 35 years ago. Funded retirement, paid off house and land, Between an agreement with my father before he passed, and saving, I paid for a lot of my kids tuition. With an alternative motive, I had put away some and for a rainy day in the tuition payment chore that didnt get used. I have 3700 left in college payments without hitting that fund. For anyone thinking I burned the actual emergency fund, my spirit animal is Scrooge McDuck, na' gonna appen laddie.

Well I hit it today..
Sure some of the computer cars may take her off the line, but after China EMP's us, I will be scavenging in style. This one is a 1969 all numbers matching 350/350 with an M21 convertible with the extra hard top. Sometime in the last 54 years It was repainted, not a great repaint and I may decide to redo it, might not. Looks good from 20 foot or going past over 20 mph. At some point it was undercoated, and the engine compartment is clean. It was sold as having newer shocks, most of the suspension parts I can see easily have been re bushed or replaced so no reason to doubt. Waiting on antique plates, so it wont be legal for 6-8 weeks. It might sneak out to test .... things.... once or twice. The weather is turning so days I would run it are going to be few and far between until about Apr anyway.

Its a 4 speed because in the immortal paraphrase of Topper in Hot Shots Part Deux “My father used to say an automatic in a sports car is like sleeping with your sister. Sure she's a great piece of tail, with a blouse full of goodies, but... it's just illegal. Then you get into that whole inbred thing. Kids with no teeth who do nothing but play the banjo... eat apple sauce through a straw... pork farm animals.”

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,521 Senior Member
    That is too cool! My bucket list purchase is a rifle, Mannlicher Schoenaure! I had a good chance at one many years ago, but the kids needed school cloths. Someday...
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,709 Senior Member
    Very nice, congrats! got to drive an early 70's vintage Corvette that a friend owned once, hellava lot of fun!!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,571 Senior Member
    Dang, you bought just before she snows, going to be a long winter😉, good on you hey, on ramps are going to be very fun from now on
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 8,189 Senior Member
    Yep, its going to be a long winter, but you have to pull the trigger when the target is there. There were something on the order of 16K convertibles made in 1969, 7K with the hard top. That was quite literally more than a lifetime ago for some people. Far fewer left with the right parts in decent shape. There was a 40th year HS reunion and the list of deceased was substantial. If not now, when?

Its not an investment. Classic cars gain about 3%/year. If sell it when I'm 70-75 I will get my money back and what I put in it is the cost of ownership and part of the fun.

By spring, I will have a pretty good idea about what I will need to correct or change. Might do some this winter. I havent even turned on the radio, it might work, but the speaker system in the one I had before was lame. I need something to blast out CCR. That will likely be a project. The clock doesnt work, likely since about 1970. There are replacement guts for them. Looks like a speedometer cable or at least a lube for it is in order. Just minor things I want to have done.

68 was the first after the concept Mako car, 69 was a much better rendition, 70-71 were more of the same, 72-80's GM put weak power plants in them. Then came the Godawful C4 TR7 looking cars, after which someone at GM took away the ruler from the blind guy and made the artists draw one freehand for the C5, which is when it was discovered that people wanted sports cars that looked and performed like sports cars.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,120 Senior Member
    Sweet ride!  Very happy for you 👍👍

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,639 Senior Member
    Great score and a lifelong dream, you earned it!! My grail car is a 63-67 'vette, I know dream on!!
    You're never to old. My brother is a retire doctor and has a 2014 'vette and just ordered a 2023 model, and he's 80 years young!!
    edited October 30 #8
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,808 Senior Member
    Keeping it original or hotrod? I had a friend in high school who had a silver '68 with Tru-Spokes and side pipes. I don't care for silver but it was cool.......

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Hotrodding a numbers matching would be the same as hack sawing off the barrel on a 1903. Likely to stay as original as possible.
    His pipes look OEM though. The one I had first had a set exactly like them on headers. Problem was it was a daily driver for me and the prior owner had removed all of the baffles. I got stationed in TN and I couldnt think when I got there. I swapped them out for some under body hush thrush. Improved the drivability and added a little back pressure.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,524 Senior Member
    Nice congratulations!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,181 Senior Member
    Nice car! I've always liked the C3s best of all 'Vettes.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Definitely a Zorba class car :)  It has a radio........
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,181 Senior Member
    Definitely a Zorba class car :)  It has a radio........
    And even that is optional, as far as I'm concerned!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    It was upgraded to am fm cassette.... but its a convertible with a louder exhaust, you cant really hear it.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,571 Senior Member
    It was upgraded to am fm cassette.... but its a convertible with a louder exhaust, you you cant really hear it.
    Pioneer equalizer and booster with some TSX-6’s.....old school loud.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    The speakers are in the kick panels.... only... originals were 4x6. Might be stock speakers still. It is possible to surface mount in the rear area to get a little bass, did that in 83, but even then the convertible top covers part of them. Places for an equalizer or amp are few and far between. That and the the console hole for the stereo/radio is a GM spec. It has to be filed to accept other than Corvette make.
    I will get something in there at some point. Have to rock Credence in it.
    The list at the moment is:
    Heater blower. I have gotten that to blow on med with a new ground. There is a relay for the blower motor. Prob need replaced, but I have some that will get me by for a while.
    Drivers door. Window rattles when down, not gonna happen. That will likely be coming apart this week.
    Left headlight sticky, lube or adjust
    replace windshield wipers, the ones there have paint on them from the repaint, soooo 20 years old?
    Speedometer is bouncing. Needs a cable, or lubed, or run. TBD
    Shifter boot is dry rotted, not a big deal.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,808 Senior Member
    Did they run a lead substitute and non-ethanol gas?

My brother has a triple black 43,000 mile 1973 Cutlass Supreme in his garage that hasn't ran since 1990's. First tank of ethanol ate the Quadrajet. There is a shop in Ohio that sells ethanol safe rebuild kits. Or they will rebuild/rejet one there.

https://cliffshighperformance.com/

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Its got a QJ on it and it has corn fuel in it. So it was either rebuilt for it or it will come unglued.
  • AKAK New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    That's awesome! I'm too young to have had one, but I love corvettes from that era!