Home Main Category Clubhouse

Truth stranger than fiction

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,702 Senior Member
edited November 7 in Clubhouse #1
Back when I was working, we got a call one morning of a murder suicide.  That's not how it came in, but that's what it was.  A father and two children, about 5-8.  The two sons were shot at contact range to the head while still in bed with a old Remington shotgun.  You could tell one woke up with the shot and turned his head a bit before he died. The father ate the gun.

Here's the strange thing.  The wife was sleeping across a hallway when the shooting occurred but didn't wake up.  She said she heard a noise but thought it was the garage door.  In addition,  her daughter was next door, and didn't wake up at all.

These are the facts no matter how unlikely.  Three shots from a square backed Remington.  I suppose contact wounds would muffle the act some, but still.............

It was a sad, bad day.  The wife was completely surprised and devastated, but not hysterical.  The boys were his/hers, the daughter  hers. She was sad but not devastated.  

I told this later on to a friend in LE in another county.  He wouldn't believe it at first, but there is no way the mother or teen age daughter could have had anything to do with this.  If they did they'd have left a better crime scene. It just was.  

A bad morning.  I searched the computer for a suicide note but none there or in the house.  So nothing is too strange to have happened.  
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,500 Senior Member
    I believe you’ve told this story before..

Sad set of circumstances, for sure. Can’t quite fathom what drives a person to be that evil…. Sorry you had to go through that. I realize it was your job at the time. Seems it might weigh on your mind some. I have a few of those. Good you can put it out there. 🍻
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,620 Senior Member
    Thats tough no matter how you cut it. There are things from my LEO days that still bother me, one in particular that I still don’t like talking about. Please find a trusted friend or peer and talk it out, or a professional. Pm me if you need to I’ll give you my phone number.  I’ll talk 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 377 Member
    The children were always the hardest. A baby wearing a diaper beaten to death and another one with bite marks and cigarette burns on his body can still haunt me.  Some things will never be unseen. RIP little ones.   :'(  Gene & Elk Creek, I hope you can find peace somehow and you're not alone.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,226 Senior Member
    Most anyone who has worked in the Law Enforcement, Fire, or EMS business has a call or three that haunt them...Talking to a mental health professional that has actually been there can be a huge help. Even then, I have friends who have been absolutely wrecked by the things they have seen on the job...Things that sent a new, well meaning mental health worker screaming from the room...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    ...Things that sent a new, well meaning mental health worker screaming from the room...
    Or make them completely shut down and rock in their chair…..

I am at peace. I have triggers as most of us do. I know them and manage them. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,702 Senior Member
    edited November 8 #7
    I'm not stressed and only mentioned this at the time because I saw a video on Forensic Files about a father who killed his entire family (for religious reasons) but didn't commit suicide.  He left and headed for Denver.  I've seen worse than my OP.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,923 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Most anyone who has worked in the Law Enforcement, Fire, or EMS business has a call or three that haunt them...Talking to a mental health professional that has actually been there can be a huge help. Even then, I have friends who have been absolutely wrecked by the things they have seen on the job...Things that sent a new, well meaning mental health worker screaming from the room...
    That’s what I don’t understand. Nothing does. It’s the job. It’s what I’m trained to do. 
    From EMS to SAR to Overseas, to very recent in your face bloodbath…….

It’s what I’m supposed to do. Why doesn’t it bother me?

Damn near 30 years of carnage and I’m fine.

This doesn’t detract from others experience. I’m honestly asking WHY I’m ok. All the brains say I shouldn’t be. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Jayhawker said:
    That’s what I don’t understand. Nothing does. It’s the job. It’s what I’m trained to do. 

This doesn’t detract from others experience. I’m honestly asking WHY I’m ok. All the brains say I shouldn’t be. 
    People are wired different. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,226 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    Zee said:
    Jayhawker said:

Yep...this...I have seen some pretty awful things and I'm  not losing any sleep...maybe it's because my peers were young people when they started in the business and I was in my late 30s...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 374 Member
    Yep, seen more blood than I care to elaborate on. 
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,445 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Jayhawker said:

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,445 Senior Member
    edited November 8 #13
    Zee said:
    Jayhawker said:

Don't listen to what the brains say. Listen to what Zee says.
    I went to a place, some things happened and they kept asking if i was sleeping, bad dreams, anything?
    Nope nope and nope.  They made me talk to someone because I was OK with what happened.  Your fine Zee
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,767 Senior Member
    A lot will depend on how deeply you're asleep and whether or not your brain registers a danger to you.

I'm capable of sleeping in extremely noisy environments and through all the noise, I can hear someone calling my name.

I'm guessing the child that woke up registered the gunshot as a danger and that brought the lights back on. The others didn't register the sound as a danger. They heard it while asleep, they ignored it and kept on sleeping.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,500 Senior Member
    edited November 9 #15
    The ones that would seem like should bother me, don’t. A few that “shouldn’t have”, did.  Not really bothered me. Just stuck out. Came up in my sleep. But the ones that you’d think were much worse didn’t bother me a bit. 

True story…. A very close buddy of mine is a SWAT officer for local PD. His team was sent out for a barricaded woman with a gun. Ended up being a clear suicide by cop. She kept popping out the door with the gun, trying to get shot. The one time she came out and pointed it at my buddy’s team, he took her out. I was at his house that evening.  Everyone was calling and texting to make sure he was OK… it was annoying him, because he was perfectly fine. Same, “this is my job and what I train for.”  Standard protocol; admin leave, go to a shrink… he was more afraid of going to counseling because he was embarrassed to tell them he had no regrets or bad feelings… he did his job. 

While he was on admin leave, the Walmart shooting happened. He was far more upset that he couldn’t go with his team. He called me up and asked me to come hang out with him, while it was happening. That evening while we were hanging out, another buddy of ours who was one of the first in the door at Walmart came over to hang out with us when he got off. He was very shook up… we talked a lot that night. 

Death and destruction have been around since the beginning of life on this planet. It’s pretty normal, in fact. Some people see it through a different lens. The world isn’t a pretty place.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,200 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    This is so!
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 377 Member
    Some of the conversations at the dinner table were, shall we say, disturbing and/or graphic yet no one missed a bite. Other times crew members came back from a call and threw the rest of their meal in the garbage. You just never know.