Home Main Category Hunting

Do you camouflage your hunting guns?

GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 451 Member
edited November 2022 in Hunting #1
I have 1 rifle with a factory SHINY SS barrel. I use camo pattern "Coban" to hide it.

If you're unfamiliar with "Coban" it's the wrinkly, stretchy material that a lot of Dr's offices and clinics use to hold the dressing on your arm after they draw blood. 
You can find it online or on Amazon in camo patterns.
I like the facts that it has no adhesive and that you can remove and replace it as needed.

If you camo your hunting guns, what do you use? Not a fan of painting my rifle's barrel.
"For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson

Replies

• GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 451 Member
    "Coban" is actually a TM of 3M, kind of like how "Band-aid" is actually a TM of Johnson & Johnson, even though most people use the term generically
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    It's "horse wrap" at Tractor Supply...and cheaper too...

Some, but not all of my hunting rifles have been painted...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Texas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,628 Senior Member
    I always shoot animals from over 1,000 yards so I don't need no freaking camo. 💪😎

Seriously, I have been considering what to do to my stainless barrel once the action arrives.  I like your tape solution.  Definitely cheaper than getting it cerrakoted. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,053 Senior Member
    Just my working guns. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I always shoot animals from over 1,000 yards so I don't need no freaking camo. 💪😎

Seriously, I have been considering what to do to my stainless barrel once the action arrives.  I like your tape solution.  Definitely cheaper than getting it cerrakoted. 
    What I like is that it isn't actually "tape", and doen't have any adhesive to transfer to the gun
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,604 Senior Member
    Love the stuff, normally have a few rolls in my big First Aid kit in my Jeep.  And Jayhawker is right, you can get it in Tractor Supply and other stores of that type for cheap.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,306 Senior Member
    I have some camo netting that I stitched into a tube with drawstring paracord with barrel locks on either end.  I use that to slip over the end of any non-camo or shiny guns I use when hunting.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I have some camo netting that I stitched into a tube with drawstring paracord with barrel locks on either end.  I use that to slip over the end of any non-camo or shiny guns I use when hunting.

Neat idea
    Oh and the answer to the OP is, nope.  They are all either wood/blue or muted earth colors.  there is no shinny SS anywhere on any of my hunting guns.  But I believe the tape is good idea.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,677 Senior Member
    Yes. Rattle can mostly with ferns and what not to develop a pattern.

Here's an example.

Looks good
  • JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,677 Senior Member
    Here's one that is confused.

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    I never have intentionally camo'd my hunting guns, but my 7mm08 wears a camo pattern stock and I intend to paint my 7mm Rem Mag for fun.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,694 Senior Member
    The Ruger Hawkeye I just acquired is brushed stainless.  I wish it was bead-blasted like my Scout, but I don't intend to do anything about it.  To a deer, that stainless barrel is going to look like just another dead and sun-bleached oak branch.

I don't really worry too much about even camouflaging ME anymore.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,657 Senior Member
    No, nothing on the barrels since mine see a lot of moisture 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,565 Senior Member
    No
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member

Krylon
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 438 Member
    My deer hunting days are past, least I think so 
    I had heard deer see a different spectrum of light than humans. And always no blue or laundry products with whitening agents.
    I always hunted from some type of stand and many times a favorite undercut oak tree. From even a low perch I’ve been within 6ft of deer
    More lore instilled from a wise uncle was to avoid metal reflections
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,589 Senior Member
    The OP said "Hunting guns". My rifles, no. The vast majority of deer hunting has been still hunting, and I've never encountered a problem with my wood and blue guns. Most of my shot came at 25 to 50 yards.

My duck and turkey shotguns are camo. I had my Beretta 391AL was dipped in a marsh camo pattern and my Mossberg is in a woodland pattern for turkey.  
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Texas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,628 Senior Member
    Love the stuff, normally have a few rolls in my big First Aid kit in my Jeep.  And Jayhawker is right, you can get it in Tractor Supply and other stores of that type for cheap.
    I keep in in my First Aid kit as well.  Since it is purple, it is not effective at Camo.

I finally got my rifle built.  The barrel is a little shiny so I am thinking of having it cerrakoted black to match the action.

That’s a really nice looking rig! ❤️

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

That’s a really nice looking rig! ❤️
    I love the fact I bought every part and installed them myself.

Actions like the Origin that allow you to build you own rifle the way you want are fantastic.  

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,401 Senior Member
    My T3 and TX3 came in camo stocks with stainless barrels........2 minutes with a Matte Black rattle can fixed the stainless ( after masking the stock). All my other 'working ' rifles are  wood/blued....and dont shine or stand out when I am hunting due to the terrain. All my 1187's are camo'ed
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Western PAPosts: 8,232 Senior Member
    Just the turkey guns

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 362 Member
    No I don’t. Never seen a reason to do it. 

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
    -William Blake-
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,821 Senior Member
    I don't camo a rifle at all. If they're close enough to see my rifle, they've been dead for a while.
    Took a friend pdog shooting who had wrapped his 7Mag (!!!!) in camo duct tape. By 10 o'clock in the Colorado sun....he was wishing he hadn't.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,821 Senior Member
    Keep in mind....depending on the wind, most critters will smell you long before they see you. OTOH, I've set down a lit cigarette to make the shot. Wind affects a lot..

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    I've had to move a cigarette to shoot one before, and had one I tickled with a stick, when I had a cig in my mouth and was standing on the ground.
    Thick brush, windy day while I was scouting
    A lot of it is based on what they are used to where you hunt.  I used to hunt behind my barn and diesel and human smells did not spook them because they were always getting that from my barn.  But if I went on a tree stand on to the ridge behind my property and farted?  They’d be in Kansas before the noise died out.  They know what belongs where in their ecosystem.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎