Home Main Category Hunting

60 Minutes story on exotic game ranches

conchokidconchokid AdministratorPosts: 512 Senior Member
I doubt if 60 Minutes is "must-see TV" for many members of this forum but I'd be interested in seeing any comments about last night's report on trophy hunting at exotic game ranches in Texas.
Lovely Lara Logan did a fairly straight-forward story on how the ranches are keeping several species of African and Indian game from becoming extinct. Of course, they had a woman from an animal rights group condemn the whole idea, saying raising animals to be killed is not really conservation, even though only about 10 percent of the game on these ranches is taken by trophy hunters.
Did any of you see it? And what are your thoughts?
Conchokid
Administrator

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    I wish I had seen it because it sounds like a different spin on the whole argument than you normally hear. Hopefully, I can find a replay of it on the website in a few days.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    conchokid wrote: »
    I doubt if 60 Minutes is "must-see TV" for many members of this forum but I'd be interested in seeing any comments about last night's report on trophy hunting at exotic game ranches in Texas.
    Lovely Lara Logan did a fairly straight-forward story on how the ranches are keeping several species of African and Indian game from becoming extinct. Of course, they had a woman from an animal rights group condemn the whole idea, saying raising animals to be killed is not really conservation, even though only about 10 percent of the game on these ranches is taken by trophy hunters.
    Did any of you see it? And what are your thoughts?
    Conchokid
    Administrator

I quit watching propaganda on the main stream media years ago. I don't even get a paper anymore because the left has everything so biased. I just watch FOX and listen to talk radio for my news. I got soured on shows like 60 minutes when I saw Dan Rather put on that farce called the Guns of Autum back in 1975. That was such a farse and such a slap in the sportsmans face I was almost physically ill after watching it. I really have bad memories of main stream biased .
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    I watched it online, it was well done. I think hunting these animals for pay is a good method of keeping a viable population.

I do not understand how that if hunting is restricted to a hard to get permit, it will spell the end of the populations in Texas. These animals won't go anywhere if hunting is stopped the land owner won't be able to shoot them either because that would be hunting. They will become a protected pest species.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Well here's the deal on that. For one thing, these animals are NOT game. They are the same as cattle or hogs. Someone bought them and had them stocked there on their land. But the thing is it will depend on the make up of the Supreme Court. If Obama gets re-elected then first chance he gets he'll stick another lame brained liberal whacko justice in place and then if a case comes before it, they'll rule stupid. In other words they'll screw the person that bought the exotics and say he can't hunt them and he can't kill them and then we're screwed. But that's a moot point because once the court has a liberal majority then they'll do away with the second amendment and we won't have anything but bows and arrows to hunt with.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    I watched the whole story because I noticed a leader for it earlier in the day. I thought Logan actually did a fairly well balanced report overall and the rancher came off looking better than the "anti" side did. I've never hunted exotic game and probably will never get the chance to hunt in a place like that but I don't have any issue with the operation. The critters certainly were not penned or even restricted very much. They were on thousands of acres - one hunter even said he was on his second trip huunting for Oryx because on his first trip he and his guide couldn't find them.

Seems sensible to me - rancher gets to make some money out of it while preserving a gene pool of the exotic animals at the same time. Hunters are the best conservationists if only because we want to preserve our ability to hunt. I thought Logan did a good job letting the rancher make that point.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    But that's a moot point because once the court has a liberal majority then they'll do away with the second amendment and we won't have anything but bows and arrows to hunt with.
    Since when does the 2nd Amendment have anything to do with hunting?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Since the rifle was invented and man figured out it was a much more productive way to take game for one thing. But don't believe me, just sit back and do nothing and watch. The same perps that want your gun don't want you killing Bambi or any other critters. It's the left's agenda to enslave us again. Took a thousand years for the common man to get out from under the thumb of the nobles and we are headed back in that direction. The second amendment is the most important of all of them in my opinion. Lose that and the rest are worthless.

All I'm saying is it's a slippery slope. Remember the kings deer? Back in the day the peasants couldn't even shoot a deer legally by any means.
  • ADRidgeADRidge Member Posts: 173 Member
    NN wrote: »
    I watched it online, it was well done. I think hunting these animals for pay is a good method of keeping a viable population.

I do not understand how that if hunting is restricted to a hard to get permit, it will spell the end of the populations in Texas. These animals won't go anywhere if hunting is stopped the land owner won't be able to shoot them either because that would be hunting. They will become a protected pest species.

On a working ranch whose primary reason for being is to bring in a profit, there will be no more incentive to spend the money to keep the Oryx around. Game animals like that aren't "free" really. It costs quite a considerable amount of money to maintain fences, to put feed out and to clear and maintain pastures for them to graze on. If I were a rancher, I'd strike while the iron is hot, sell as many game hunts as I could while I was still able, and try to sell the rest to zoos or nature preserves as possible.

Put simply, if it's on my ranch and not making me money, why is it there? Even more, if it's on my ranch and makes me lose money, why is it there and how quickly can I be rid of it?
    In space no one can hear you scream... but if you put a helicopter up there, some jerk would complain about the noise!
    ADRidge wrote: »
    On a working ranch whose primary reason for being is to bring in a profit, there will be no more incentive to spend the money to keep the Oryx around. Game animals like that aren't "free" really. It costs quite a considerable amount of money to maintain fences, to put feed out and to clear and maintain pastures for them to graze on. If I were a rancher, I'd strike while the iron is hot, sell as many game hunts as I could while I was still able, and try to sell the rest to zoos or nature preserves as possible.

Put simply, if it's on my ranch and not making me money, why is it there? Even more, if it's on my ranch and makes me lose money, why is it there and how quickly can I be rid of it?

I still stand by the fact that they are not game. If we the people let the bunny huggers classify these animals as game then the Constitution is usless. This amounts to the government taking a man's property and telling him what he can and can't do with it. These people bought these animals somewhere. They didn't crawl out of a tree or a hole in the ground. If you buy some cattle and let them range wild they will eventually go wild. Then who can tell you that you can't let people shoot them? I don't think that would be viewed as constitutional. These commies need to go bye the wayside. Like I said, they will be the runination of us all.
  • wolf049wolf049 Member Posts: 217 Member
    Outstanding story. I had no idea of the numbers and/or diversity of exotic wildlife that's been raised in Texas. To all of those ranchers... Outstanding job!!
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,048 Senior Member
    Excellent story (and reporting) on how adding value to an animal ( by charging for hunting etc) is the way to ensure its survival.

The 'I am right and everyone else is wrong' attitude from the female 'conservationist' is what will continue to sound the death knell of endangered species like those that were shown on the doco.

Thanks for posting that up CK.

Hey Snake.........

snake284 wrote: »
    This amounts to the government taking a man's property and telling him what he can and can't do with it.

Where you been for the last 50 yrs.......Govts already do that for just about everything!!!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....