Home Main Category Hunting

What's the best and worst tasting game meat you have ever tried?

2»

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,617 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    In the US and other countries in the Americas and Europe, Guineafowl (proper term for them) are domesticated animals. In their native Africa they are wild game birds. Having seen my old girls fly a few times I can tell you they would have been challenging to bring down with a shotgun.

Years ago some "nonresidents" confused a relatives guineas with pheasants and shot a limit each...even stopped by the house afterward to leave a couple of birds with the landowner...the cousin was just smokin...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Uncle BSUncle BS Member Posts: 380 Member
    I had a friend make an attempt at whitetail ribs, awful, mouth coating lard. At least the dog liked it. I've always thought that goose was inedible, until my buddy's wife took one ,boned it out, covered it in a mixture of wild rice and cranberries, rolled it up like beef wellington. It was a thing of beauty. Alligator has always been a favorite of mine.
    cpj wrote: »
    Wow. I never knew I enjoyed grilled foreskin.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,953 Senior Member
    My experience with rattle snake was breaded, deep fried crispy and dipped in hot sauce. Tasted like a slightly chewy Chicken McNugget which is to say pretty darn good.
    Clean does an egg wash, rolls in bread crumbs and fries in a little oil, usually good.
    Dear LORD! How on God's earth do you confuse Guineas with pheasants???????

They were from Alabama and had never seen pheasants (or guineas) up close before........
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I would have to say Quail is the best I have ever tasted, I really like it a lot.
    Worst for me would have to go to Javalina, they be just plain nasty!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • 10 AC10 AC Member Posts: 309 Member
    I haven't eaten alot of different types of wild game, so my favorites would be deer and quail. Worst would be squirrel, I've had it cooked by a couple different people but I just don't care for it. I've got a good friend that always talks about how good rattlesnake is, but I've never been around when he is cooking any. I'd try it, oh I almost forgot, gator now that was some pretty tastey stuff right there too. The Seminole's come up from FL once a year to an Archaeclogical festible thats about 2 miles down the road, and they almost always bring some.
    Teach
    If you don't have a C&R FFL,you really need to consider getting one----it's a license to spend money, though.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,188 Senior Member
    The best I have ever had is either whitetail or elk. The worst... whitetail again. The deer that me and my brother have killed (along with a couple of roadkills) have all been fantastic. I have been given some burger or steaks from other people over the years and some of it was absolutely awful! Tough, gamey... yuck! I guess my wife got some bad stuff before she met me too... She wouldn't touch that "nasty" venison for quite some time. Any more, she loves it.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I actually really like goat, quail, and goose. You've just gotta cook it right. For one, I've seen so many people try to cook goat as if it were beef. You just can't do that it'll be horrid. Goose you've gotta either bone or slow roast with plenty of spices and room for the greese to drip
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    conchokid wrote: »
    As has been stated here in various ways, it's up to the cook. A good cook can make tenderloin of skunk taste pretty good, though I've never sampled it.
    It also depends a lot on what the critter has been grazing on. I've tasted pine-cone fed venison that tasted like it was marinated in turpentine and corn-fed deer that compared to a Ruth's Chris steak. Well, maybe not that good...
    Some of the best wild game I've eaten was elk, antelope (killed in Mexico), and bison. Squirrel and cottontail rabbit can be made quite tasty. At least, my mother could.
    And being raised in Texas, I love the taste of mourning doves. Back in the wonderous '50s and '60s, central Texas dove hunting was almost like the pictures I've seen from Argentina — hundreds, maybe thousands in the sky at one time, back in the days when farmers grew a lot of maize. Many a day I'd get my limit in half an hour after getting home from high school.
    How many of you have tasted rattlesnake? Like the cliche says, "tastes like chicken." Of course, given enough salt and grease, anything tastes like chicken.

HAHAHA!!! Yep, Dove is one of my favorite. My mother could fry em up and that was all I needed. They were unbelieveably good. But then again, she could fry a mean chicken too.

About rattle snake. To me it's like a cross between Chicken fish. Similar to frog legs. I love it fried, but don't give it to me BBQed. It just gets bigger in my mouth the longer I chew it. I don't know why. But fried Rattlesnake and also Fried Aligator Tail is so damn fine. I don't care for the gator tail BBQed either. Got to be fried only.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I have had lots of good meat, but Guinea hen was the gamiest. On the farm in south Africa they had so many guinea hens we decided to take one with a .22 LR. The rule was it had to be taken with a head shot, iron sights at about 50 yards. We shot and shot and shot until we took one. It was good fun, but that bird tasted like almost rotten dark meat. And yes, we cleaned and cooked it immediately.

South African jerky, called biltong, can make almost any game meat incredibly tasty.

D

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • DalebowDalebow Member Posts: 45 Member
    best stone sheep, worst groundhog:drool:
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,494 Senior Member
    As long as I can buy grain-fed Black Angus at the supermarket, I'll never again eat any wild meat!
    +1

Of course, the best steak I've had was at a restaurant of the same name (Black Angus :beer:), I'm not much of a cook.

The worst, was a monkey that we caught during survival training. We went unprepared so we had no salt, pepper, hot sauce or anything else to make it taste better. We skinned and gutted the thing and roasted him on a stick! It was nasty but that's all we had for the whole week, we envied the heck out of another group that manage to corner and kill a 200-300 pound python, needless to say, they ate good. (the instructors even took photos of the group holding it up)

Maybe, there's a good way to prepare monkey but count this kid out. I still remember about a month after that training everytime I belched I would swear I could still taste that darn monkey! :vomit:
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Dalebow wrote: »
    best stone sheep, worst groundhog:drool:

Read a story on cracked.com today about "most disgusting eating habbits of ..." forgot who exactly.. first thing I thought of when I saw that title was this entry lol One of said gross habbits was a Roman who had a taste for bird brains
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I have had lots of good meat, but Guinea hen was the gamiest. On the farm in south Africa they had so many guinea hens we decided to take one with a .22 LR. The rule was it had to be taken with a head shot, iron sights at about 50 yards. We shot and shot and shot until we took one. It was good fun, but that bird tasted like almost rotten dark meat. And yes, we cleaned and cooked it immediately.

South African jerky, called biltong, can make almost any game meat incredibly tasty.

D

D

Your description of guinea hen sounds exactly like my PH Andries described it. He was told to give me a guinea fowl recipe that involved putting the killed bird on a brick, seasoning it with X,Y and Z, baking it carefully and then ultimately, eating the brick. :tooth:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Your description of guinea hen sounds exactly like my PH Andries described it. He was told to give me a guinea fowl recipe that involved putting the killed bird on a brick, seasoning it with X,Y and Z, baking it carefully and then ultimately, eating the brick. :tooth:

Yeah I asked a buddy about carp. He said:
    Nail it to a pine board
    rub with olive oil, salt, pepper, whatever other spices you like
    slow roast over a wood fire for 2 hours
    throw the fish away and eat the board
  • black mambablack mamba Member Posts: 158 Member
    These last two posts are about how I feel about woodcock. I shot one, a big old cock, a number of years ago while quail hunting, and cooked him up along with the little bobs. I couldn't finish it, it almost made me gag. Maybe he was diseased or something, I don't know, but I've never shot another.

On the good side, a nice bison roast cooked slow in a crock pot with veggies and a little red wine is pretty close to Heaven!
    Woodcock are an acquired taste...I tried to acquire that taste, but was never successful...consequently, I quit hunting them...but there are those who rave about them, especially those that eat the "trail" (liver, heart and intestines) smeared on toast....I've always been pretty adventuresome when it comes to food, but I've never been THAT adventuresome...

On the other hand, we get to eat more bison than most folks...and it is pretty much superior to beef in every way...
    I prefer elk over bison but I sure wouldn't pass one up. The tags for them here are insane.. first off it's a lotto, IF you win then it's like $500 bucks for the tag
  • Alberta guideAlberta guide New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    Try mountain sheep......you'll wish you could get 'em every day! Try mountain goat, and you'll pray you never have to eat one again!! Moose could replace beef as a staple any day, and elk as well, but you'll miss your pork, I guarentee you! Cougar is wonderful if cooked right (roasted ONLY, and no good for cold-cuts) Keep your buffalo, I'll pass, too dry for me.( I can buy it down the road) Caribou has good ribs, but it's wormey, and bear hams smoke up like ham....only difference is color. Goose tastes like mud unless cooked in wine-sauce, and ruffed grouse tops all game birds......AG
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I agree with you on the goose too. However, one more way to try it. Shoot up the breast with liquid garlic and a brine pump. Then rub the inside of the body cavity and the outside as well with a good rub. Let it sit like this covered overnight in the refrigerator. Then fry it in peanut oil the next day like a turkey. This got several people in my family back into water fowl hunting to include both geese AND ducks. They both fry up nicely.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    snake,

I haven't tried waterfowl in the deep fryer, but I will if I ever get any (I don't hunt ducks any more). Injecting and frying turkey is at least as good as the brined and roasted ones I've eaten, and Mrs. Bisley has done some really good ones.