LEOs - what is your primary handgun caliber?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
LEOs and other licensed officers, what is the caliber of your primary on-duty handgun? Comments on why are welcomed.

LEOs and other officers, what is the caliber of your primary on-duty handgun? Why? 21 votes

.44 Mag
0%
.41 Mag
0%
.357 Mag
4%
Diver43 1 vote
0%
.45acp
14%
BufordCaptainRoadBlockBigBro1 3 votes
71%
BPsniperBigDanSjbohioBigslugglockman0422Gene LJeeperHAWKEN41magnutjdmtemmiMarvinQuinianpbearperryThe Texan 15 votes
9mm
4%
cappy54 1 vote
other
4%
JasonMPD 1 vote

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• CaptainRoadBlockCaptainRoadBlock Member Posts: 49 Member
    .45acp
    .45 ACP, cause, hundreds of thousands of dead enemy soldiers at the hands of our military sporting Thompsons and 1911's don't lie.
    So Officer, why did you shoot my client 8 times? Uh, the magazine ran dry.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,071 Senior Member
    .45 ACP, cause, hundreds of thousands of dead enemy soldiers at the hands of our military sporting Thompsons and 1911's don't lie.

Actually, they lie quite a bit. Some of them lie in France. Some of them lie in Belgium. Some of them lie in the Phillipines. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I started out in My first LE job in Banana land and I was issued a Colt Officers model revolver in .38 special, and being an ignorant greenhorn, I thought I was good to go, issue ammo was anemic 158 grain RNL due to all the weak Spanish S&W copies in the hands of many Constables.

Later on N.Y.S. issued S&W M-10s .38 special when I swore in, many carried a 1911 or a .357 concealed in addition to their duty sidearm, you were asked to present the duty sidearm on occasion to see no HPs etc.....
    Glock 19 / 17 9mm was the duty sidearm before I left the ranks.
    Approved sidearm / caliber.

Now as a former LEO, I would still go by those choices, 45 acp or 9mm, 1911 or Glock.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Actually, they lie quite a bit. Some of them lie in France. Some of them lie in Belgium. Some of them lie in the Phillipines. . .

Nice Bigslug. Worth a good snicker into the warm milk at bedtime. :spittingcoffee:
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,724 Senior Member
    .357 Mag
    While in the Military I was issued a .45 then that was taken away and replaced by a 9mm. During my short time as a State Officer in New Mexico the issue side arm was a SW .357 Mag.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,122 Senior Member
    other
    Samzhere,

I voted "other". My department utilizes the Glock 37 chambered in .45GAP. As to the why, well, Glock sales reps are fantastic, apparently. Florida Highway Patrol has also gone to using the same gun/caliber.

If I had a choice, I would carry .40SW. It's not my favorite pistol round, but I advocate it for duty weapon use. High-cap mags and violent expansion with hollow points.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,165 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Samzhere,

I voted "other". My department utilizes the Glock 37 chambered in .45GAP. As to the why, well, Glock sales reps are fantastic, apparently. Florida Highway Patrol has also gone to using the same gun/caliber.

Interesting on the FHP. FWC uses Glock 21 SFs in .45ACP (in +P, I believe.) And everyone I've talked with either loves it (gun nuts) or has a solid "It's pretty good and reliable." No one I've talked with doesn't like it, and there's been no real concern about the ammo's effectiveness, unlike when they transitioned to 9mm.

Interesting that the state would issue different calibers and firearms for each of its agencies.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,174 Senior Member
    I'm going to date myself...When I was working in law enforcement, we carried revolvers...our department mandated a .357 Mag. I carried a 3" S&W Model 66. HOWEVER...our Chief was also forward thinking enough to allow us to carry pretty much anything we could qualify with as a back-up...I carried a Detonics Mark VI .45 ACP. in my jacket pocket...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CaptainRoadBlockCaptainRoadBlock Member Posts: 49 Member
    .45acp
    LOL thats funny.
    So Officer, why did you shoot my client 8 times? Uh, the magazine ran dry.
    other
    Interesting on the FHP. FWC uses Glock 21 SFs in .45ACP (in +P, I believe.) And everyone I've talked with either loves it (gun nuts) or has a solid "It's pretty good and reliable." No one I've talked with doesn't like it, and there's been no real concern about the ammo's effectiveness, unlike when they transitioned to 9mm.

Interesting that the state would issue different calibers and firearms for each of its agencies.

I know, it isn't very intuitive. The Feds do it, too. The Secret Service still used .357Sig, if memory serves; differing from others like the FBI and Border Patrol.

Brevard County S.O. issues Glock 22 pistols and optionally the Glock 17. Cocoa, FL P.D. issues Glock 21 (or SF) and optionally the G22 or G17. Palm Bay, FL P.D. issues optionally a G17, G22 or G21. They even use UMP45's on their SWAT team. And then my folks issue the G37. Many different calibers in this county.

The G37 is a logistical terror. My department doesn't want to buy a lot of ammo so department range days are quite stingy with ammo. If I had a say, I would use G22C.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • conchokidconchokid Administrator Posts: 508 Senior Member
    Just observing, but so far no 9mm? Interesting.
    I wonder what the one "other" answer is, maybe .357 SIG?
    Oops, I see that it's .45 GAP from JasonMPD.
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    Houston PD is .40 S&W
    other
    conchokid wrote: »

A couple of officers I work with who were hired prior to the adoption date of the G37 carry 9mm. Not many, though.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I'm not LEO but I thought I'd vote and share what my locals carry. I'm friends with a few of the yellowstone county and one of the billings pd they all carry a .40 though I'm not sure which gun.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    conchokid wrote: »

I'd thought about both calibers but got lazy and put other.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Thanks for the feedback, gang. I was just curious so I started the poll. I'm not a LEO so I didn't vote.

I also wouldn't vote on favorite submarine, either, having sold mine a couple years back. But honestly, I just wanted to know.

Seeing quite a few .40cal votes, I'm also curious -- what reasons are there to favor this caliber rather than .45acp? Not that the reasons are good or bad, just interested in why.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,071 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Seeing quite a few .40cal votes, I'm also curious -- what reasons are there to favor this caliber rather than .45acp? Not that the reasons are good or bad, just interested in why.

The .40 was simply the right round at the right time - or the wrong round at the right time depending on how you view it. It was introduced EXACTLY when the modern "engineered" hollowpoints started to show up. In a non-.40 world, these new slugs would have pretty much made the 9mm socially acceptable again after the stigma they picked up in the mid-1980's.

As it turned out though, most departments already had fairly new 9mm duty sidearms, and the big gunmakers were kind of suffering because nobody was buying more in quantity. The .40 was the new round, but more importantly, it had the new bullets. Some REALLY aggressive marketing on the part of a couple big manufacturers convinced most of the LE community that it was "the answer", and they marched like zombies to buy new guns when all they really needed was new 9mm ammo. The on-paper attraction to the round is that .40's typically hold more ammo than a .45 with the same size grip. The round works - bad guys generally fall over when shot with it, and a lot of agencies are fairly heavily committed to it at this point.

But it is a high-pressure round that's harder on guns and shooters than either the 9mm or .45. If you've already got a good 9mm or .45, the ONLY good reason to change t a .40 is if you find yourself in a position where the .40 ammo is FREE.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Excellent analysis, Big. tanks.

• HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    To JasonMPD; The FHP must have changed firearms recently, because they were issued model 92 Berettas. When I went to work for the Brevard County S.O. I carried my own Colt 1911 45acp. About 6 or 7 years ago, they told me to put it up and handed me a model 226 SiG-Sauer, in .40 cal. We kept them for about a year and they traded them for Glock 22's, also 40 cal, because some of the units that worked the beach side, had corrosion problems with the Sig's. When I retired, they gave me my duty weapon. I assume that MPD is Melbourne PD?
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,807 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I'm going to date myself...When I was working in law enforcement, we carried revolvers...our department mandated a .357 Mag. I carried a 3" S&W Model 66. HOWEVER...our Chief was also forward thinking enough to allow us to carry pretty much anything we could qualify with as a back-up...I carried a Detonics Mark VI .45 ACP. in my jacket pocket...

If you date yourself, will you grow hair on your palms?

I am not a LEO, but I voted on behalf of Miami Dade County PD, and they issue Glock 22's.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    "I carried a Detonics Mark VI .45 ACP. in my jacket pocket..."

Detonics1911.jpg

Great choice !!! :win:

:applause:
    Always liked that gun.

I remember a version that had no sights, just grooves engraved in the top of the slide.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • MarvinMarvin Member Posts: 125 Member
    Now that I am a desk dweller I am issued a Glock 27. Uniforms carry the .45 H&K.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,509 Senior Member
    I'm not an LEO, either, but I voted on behalf of the 1900+ officers of my fair city. They carry S&W M&P 40's.
    They switched from 45's to 40's six years ago. The biggest reason cited was increased capacity, and that they had a few bad outcomes with 45's not penetrating.
    It probably didn't hurt that S&W sold them all 1900+ pistols for $1, with trade in of the replaced 4506's.
    In a way it is funny, I had a 4506, and it had mild recoil, a heavy pistol, but very accurate.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,509 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    In a way it is funny, I had a 4506, and it had mild recoil, a heavy pistol, but very accurate.

I had one too. I share your sentiments. It never left the safe after I got a 1911, though. Traded it off.
    It was truly a fear inspiring gun, a census taker once tried to car jack Me, I stuffed that gun in his face and he beshat himself loudly and stinkilily too.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,909 Senior Member
    temmi wrote: »
    Houston PD is .40 S&W

Same here in Port Lavaca, just down the road.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.