One thing I've learned about concealed carry

rbsivleyrbsivley Senior MemberPosts: 1,055 Senior Member
I've had a concealed carry permit only since 2006. There is one thing I've learned, you must wear a good belt.
Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown

Replies

• EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    That's not necessarily something that I've learned, it's just something that I've always assumed.

The first carry belt that I ever bought (2006 as well) was an nylon webbing-esq instructors belt. Can't remember which brand it was, but I've been wearing that style exclusively since then. My current belt is from 5.11 Tactical.........I honestly don't ever see myself wearing (daily) another leather belt.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Did your pants fall down?:tooth: I ordered a belt to go with my Super Tuck and have been using it ever since. I think I'll try one of those Wilderness belts some time.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    I wore a nylon belt for years. It was part of the uniform. I tried a 5.11 with a holster it didn't work for me.
    Randy

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Last time I ordered uniforms, a 5.11 leather gun belt came home with me. I wear the nylon rescue belt at work, also a good choice. But there is just something about a leather belt that feels right.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    Last time I ordered uniforms, a 5.11 leather gun belt came home with me. I wear the nylon rescue belt at work, also a good choice. But there is just something about a leather belt that feels right.

I'm real picky about how my pants ride my waist. Add a full size, loaded, cocked and locked 1911 hanging on and it take a good strong leather belt for me.
    Randy

• 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,158 Senior Member
    Sound advice!
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    rbsivley wrote: »
    I've had a concealed carry permit only since 2006. There is one thing I've learned, you must wear a good belt.

Great advice.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,656 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    My current belt is from 5.11 Tactical.........I honestly don't ever see myself wearing (daily) another leather belt.
    Hey Ellie Mae, call me this evening or shoot me a PM with a link to where I can get one in "our" size.
    Thanks in advance!!! :beer:

edited to add: and yes, a good belt is VERY important when carrying :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    I'm with SirGeorge on this, there is just something about a good leather belt that I prefer to the nylon type (which we wear at work). I think I got my latest leather belts from a company named "Western". ~$25 and they're EXCELLENT.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Brother Paul, youse gots mail!

:tooth:
    I once picked up a carpenters belt for $2 and dyed it black and used it as a uniform belt.
    It worked rather well, and was rather cheap.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • rcsaxbyrcsaxby New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    Yes, That's right. I carried a glock 26 for about a half a year before I found that out.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,887 Senior Member
    rcsaxby wrote: »
    Welcome aboard.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    Did your pants fall down?:tooth:.................

I've developed a problem with that. In fact I've broken two belt buckles. It seems the waist line is falling. Besides the pistol there is possible exposure of the "gun case" clothing item. Perhaps power suspenders are next.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,887 Senior Member
    I just use a Galco cop series leather belt.

I suppose a web belt with a keeper and it's infinite adjustments would work for some.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Most pants do not have wide enough loops for wider belts, I used to frequent a tailor that would make wide loops for use with a wide belt for use with holsters.
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    I wore a Don Hume belt for years, but when it was ready to be put out to pasture, I picked up a Crossbreed belt. The quality is great (at least equal to Don Hume's belts). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    I'm a fellow Floridian and the biggest problem I have is how to keep the thing concealed. I carry a Colt Commander in 45 ACP, so an inside the pants holster doesn't work. It's too dang hot most of the time to wear a jacket, so I wear a loose fitting shirt (like a Hawiian). Works for me.
    My old LL Bean belt keeps my pants up and stabilizes the holster just fine.
    Jim
    Question, do you spend more time outdoors, or ample time in A/C cooled places / vehicles ???
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    Airedale wrote: »
    I'm a fellow Floridian and the biggest problem I have is how to keep the thing concealed. I carry a Colt Commander in 45 ACP, so an inside the pants holster doesn't work. It's too dang hot most of the time to wear a jacket, so I wear a loose fitting shirt (like a Hawiian). Works for me.
    My old LL Bean belt keeps my pants up and stabilizes the holster just fine.
    Jim

Why doesn't inside the pants work for you? Because that's all I've used since I've had a concealed permit, and I've carried 4" revolvers up to an N-frame, and 5" government model 1911s with no real problems.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    I guess I carry a little too much baggage around the middle. The inside pants thing digs at me when I'm in my truck.
    Jim