Home Defense Shotgun

2»

Replies

• tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    In my opinion what makes a pump the better choice is the ability to use a variety of ammo. Now to be honest I got no experience with a semi auto but my understanding is they don't work with a wide variety of ammo. Like they wont reliably cycle light loads and heavy loads and even mini shells mixed together. Where a pump will cycle them as it aint the recoil impulse or gas doing the cycling.

Of course since I aint got the experience I could be so wrong it aint funny BUT that is what I understand.

My home defence shotgun is standin in the corner without a round in the chamber safety off.. others like theirs all ready to go with the safety on. I would have mine on hooks or a rack over the door but the wife would have a heck of a time gettin it if she wanted it.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Semi-autos in general have a bad rap for being ammo-sensitive. Some, like the old Browning Auto-5, had to be physically configured (the gas rings surrounding the magazine tube) to fire either light or heavy loads, and that was the same story if you had the 2 3/4" or the 3" Magnum shotgun. Others, like the Remington 1100/1187, used rubber O-rings in place of the brass and steel rings of the A-5 and were designed to be a bit more forgiving, but the O-rings are the weak spot of that link - when worn, or broken, the gun just doesn't run.

Benelli seems to have gotten the semi-auto game right, even their Super Black Eagle digests most anything from light target to 3 1/2" shells without a hitch. Where these beauties bite you, though, is in the wallet - easily four figures and three times the price of a comparable pump.

From what I've heard, the Mossberg 930 is a durable, reliable semi-auto for not a lot of money, but there's still a lot going for the rugged simplicity of a pump.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I used to stuff a tiny baggy of o-rings in the end cap of My 1100, mostly they last a long time, oil kills them fast.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    tpschmitt1 wrote: »

I am hoping some of you will take the time to share information and opinions about the following three questions: One, in general terms, is the standard pump that much more reliable than an auto? Second, what are some comparable 12 gauge autos from other manufacturers? Third, how would you rate them versus the Mossberg 930? Thank you.

1) Absolutely not. I have an old (~25 yrs?) Remington 1100 that has fed THOUSANDS of rounds without a single failure, and know several friends with similar models who also have had NO issues whatsoever. Don't be afraid to get an older clean used one. The most you would likely have to do is replace the O rings and give it a thorough cleaning, and you can find some real deals if you're not afraid to get a model that only shoots 2 3/4" and/or 3" shells.

2) The Remington 1100/1187 is sort of the standard IMO, but Bennelli is also a first class manufacturer. You won't go wrong with either. Don't worry about getting something that will handle 3 1/2" loads... or even 3" loads. 2 3/4" buckshot will do the job just fine.

3) Can't comment on the Mossberg as I have no experience with one.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • ezzriderezzrider Member Posts: 63 Member
    tpschmitt1 wrote: »
    I have already decided on a 12 gauge, and I have been studying the merits of a pump versus the newer special-purpose, 7-and-1 automatics. I am trying to find articles that rate the 12 gauge autos. I have read some good things about the Mossberg 930 SPX, and the prices I have seen quoted seem to make it a good value.

I am hoping some of you will take the time to share information and opinions about the following three questions: One, in general terms, is the standard pump that much more reliable than an auto? Second, what are some comparable 12 gauge autos from other manufacturers? Third, how would you rate them versus the Mossberg 930? Thank you.

I personally prefer a pump over semi-auto shotgun for home defense. I have a Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 Magnum Express (both 12 GA) pump shotguns as home defense shotguns and they are also great hunting shotguns. The pumps are extremely reliable and I believe used almost exclusively by most Law Enforcement and the military over semi-auto shotguns. Seems like I remember the worlds speed record was achieved by a pump shotgun also? I think?
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    ezzrider wrote: »
    I personally prefer a pump over semi-auto shotgun for home defense. I have a Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 Magnum Express (both 12 GA) pump shotguns as home defense shotguns and they are also great hunting shotguns. The pumps are extremely reliable and I believe used almost exclusively by most Law Enforcement and the military over semi-auto shotguns. Seems like I remember the worlds speed record was achieved by a pump shotgun also? I think?

Depends on the semi-auto ... most I'll give the pumps the advantage but I will put my older Benelli M1 Super 90 up there with my 870. I have run it in 3 gun matches and never had any problems. It is a simple inertia design is rock solid BUT I wouldn't trust lighter loads ... #4 buck and slugs work great and lighter field loads will work but there are a few that don't cycle reliably, the 870 will eat anything I feed it as long as I don't shortstroke it.

As to the speed record I think it was the Winchester SX3 (FN SLP I think) which I only heard ... never held one.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    " the 870 will eat anything I feed it as long as I don't shortstroke it."

And you can get any number of aftermarket parts and accessories for the Remington 870, you don't have as many choices and options with some other brands.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Decided to add my 2¢ here; the 12 gauge in my closet is a Remington 870 with a Choate magazine extension, Knoxx stock, and an Elzetta light mount with a Surefire light. (http://www.elzetta.com/zsmFAQ.htm)

I think I have maybe $400 in the whole thing.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Smarmy comment time:

My surplus Remington 870 should arrive sometime soon, they can be had at good prices, it is something you only need buy once, they last forever it seems, even after getting thrown around in patrol vehicles for 25 plus years, the dings sure add character and Redneck charm. :tooth:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Karl, make up your mind; first you said smarm, then you said charm. You can't have both!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    "You can't have both!"

Curses !!
    Foiled again !

:yesno:

:tooth: