Scope mount for flat-receiver .303

TinkerUniqueTinkerUnique New MemberPosts: 7 New Member
Recently read an article about the No. 4 Mk 1 .303 British (SMLE). Question was WHAT scope mount for the flat receiver model ??? My No. 4 Mk. 1 has a Weaver TO-1 "quick-mount" and has been very good for over 20 years of packing the old gun in the brush AND on horseback. The gun-mount can be used with another scope-mount to switch another scope if wanted without changing the setting of the scope ( AFTER initial sight-in ). Most .303's have a round receiver that takes the "standard" mount. I got the TO-1 mount because it was a LOW mount, I hunted in brushy country and wanted a more compact unit. The sling mounts on the left side of the stock so the gun fits flat against my back (No trigger guard in the back), AND helps steady the gun when my arm goes thru it to shoot.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,364 Senior Member
    Recently read an article about the No. 4 Mk 1 .303 British (SMLE). Question was WHAT scope mount for the flat receiver model ??? My No. 4 Mk. 1 has a Weaver TO-1 "quick-mount" and has been very good for over 20 years of packing the old gun in the brush AND on horseback. The gun-mount can be used with another scope-mount to switch another scope if wanted without changing the setting of the scope ( AFTER initial sight-in ). Most .303's have a round receiver that takes the "standard" mount. I got the TO-1 mount because it was a LOW mount, I hunted in brushy country and wanted a more compact unit. The sling mounts on the left side of the stock so the gun fits flat against my back (No trigger guard in the back), AND helps steady the gun when my arm goes thru it to shoot.

I haven't had any experience with British Enfields, but this reminds me of my latest experience with finding or trying to find correct mounts. My Savage 110 is the older pre-Accutrigger rifle with the flat receiver in the back. I don't know what inspired Savage engineers or design team to change something that has been one way for many years, but they really threw a wrench in the gears. The later model has a round receiver. That's what 90% of most mounts you can find nowadays are for. I went to all the Wally Worlds and gun shops around here and couldn't find a Weaver brand rear base mount for it. There's plenty made for the round receiver, but almost none for the flat one. I ended up getting a Rail made by EGW that cost me $47 with shipping. If I could have found the rear Weaver mount for mine I could have gotten it for less than $10.
    Oh well, I'm not griping too much. The rail is a much more versatile and strong unit.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,901 Senior Member
    I don't know how well it works, but Williams makes a mount for the Lee-Enfield. It requires drilling and tapping.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16153/Product/SIDE-MOUNTS

B-Square makes one that mounts with existing screws.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/637101/b-square-military-weaver-style-scope-base-with-1-rings-british-smle-4-mark-i-and-5-gloss
    Overkill is underrated.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,364 Senior Member
    I wonder what happened to Pirate 63? He had a bunch of Mil Surps and used I think B Square or something to mount scopes on his milsurps without drilling and tapping. There were others here too, maybe tennmike or somebody else that PMed me about it one time when i asked a question.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.