CCW update.

Big Al1Big Al1 Senior MemberPosts: 7,246 Senior Member
Wife and I went to the Dept of Agriculture in Ft. Walton and applied for our CCW's. They do everything there, photos and fingerprints, etc. Took about 45 minutes. Got our permits in less than a week. I like the one stop shopping!! Saved a lot of running around and then the looong wait if you mail everything in. I know all states are different, but if you can go in person, that's the way to go!!

Replies

• EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I've no experience with the mailed type, but I agree, doing it in person is way better.

B'ham Shooter and I had a thread going on the old forum, where for the last few years we timed how long it takes to renew our permit.

In '09 there was a couple in front of me, both getting theirs, so it ended up taking about two minutes (from the time I opened the door to the sheriff's office until the time I stepped back outside), in '10 and this year I was the only person in line, and I got out of there in under a minute both times.

I read on here about folks in some states having to send theirs in weeks in advance........that just boggles the mind.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    It was like that, here, when I first applied for my permit. Now, they insist on electronically scanned fingerprints and the nearest Sheriff's office that's set up for that is in the next county. Good for 4 years and renewal can be done at a Driver Testing Center or by mail.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Good for you BigAl. You'll love it when it's time to renew. Only ~$70 and it's good for another 7 yrs. You do it all by mail, and they mail you a complete package ahead of time where the only thing you have to do over is go get a new photo of yourself. I think I got mine back in the mail in less than two weeks after sending it out, and that was something like two months BEFORE my (then current) one expired.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,052 Senior Member
    Some people have it made.
    We have in person application at the Sheriff office with a side trip to the booby hatch to get a certification your not a booby from their collection of hatch boobies.
    Then wait 90 days or so until they call you to come back and get the permit.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    Wife did hers when FL started doing them that way, took 6 days for her permit to get here.

Wambli, any of the Dept of Ag regional offices will do it. You call for an appointment, show up with your paperwork showing training and a certified check or money order for the amount. The application is done on the computer, they do the pics and prints. The delay is due to mailing the license, as technically it is approved when you leave.

EZPZ

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/staff/regions.html
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,781 Senior Member
    I sent in my renewal last week, after a 4 hour class and 50 rounds of timed target shooting. You have to register online and pay $70 by credit card, and then send in one form that you filled out with the instructor, and one with a bar code on it that you download from their registration site. Supposedly they have a two week turn around for renewals, now. It is quite a streamlined system compared to the original mess, 4 years ago.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Congratulations are in order !!
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996