Advice on carrying a 1911 concealed.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Chuck, I guess you don't appreciate the zen of gun maintenance. I find it relaxing to clean my guns. Well, except the Ruger Mark III I used to own.:tooth:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • WhitewookieWhitewookie Member Posts: 181 Member
    Thanks for the quick responses!!!!

I have been looking at the crossbreed supertuck and it seems like a great choice. Does anyone use a shoulder holster??. just asking, i prefer the IWB but its always nice to have options.

I carry my Combat Commander in a Crossbreed supertuck all the time. You can spend more and get a prettier holster, but I don't think you can get one that works better or is more comfortable. I frequently wear it all day long without issue. It is also extremely concealable in a CB. I cover with just a T-shirt all the time.

Another important consideration is a good quality gun belt. A good belt is at least as important as the holster. I use one from the Beltman. http://www.thebeltman.net/index.htm Good stuff and a great guy to deal with.
    RV,
    Harry
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." - Robert Heinlein
  • ChuckXXChuckXX Banned Posts: 103 Member
    To: NCFUBAR, LM Larsen, & Slanteyedshootist; I think all 3 of you kinda missed the real gist of my post. So with your permission Iam going to rephrase the whole thing. First of all NO there is no hurry to clean my pistols. I too find it kinda fun and enjoyable. Sometimes it even takes me 20 minutes because I too want them babys clean as a whisle. Now for the more important point I was trying to make. Back to the Kwik Shop. Three bad guys come in to hold up the joint. Two have AK-47's and one has a pistol. Your in the back getting a loaf of bread. I now ask you would you rather have a 16 shooter or a 8+1 shooter. Screw the 165 grains vs. my 147 grains. I want "capacity" at this point in my life along with another 16 mag capacity on my belt. Are you familiar with what "adrenaline" does to you at this point??? I can assure you my Winchester PDX-1 supreme elite 147 grain jacketed hollow points will keep up with your 165 grain babys just fine. But as the shooting commences I will still be more comfortable knowing I have 16+16 rounds of firepower. I have thought about this alot over the years. I've seen way tooooo many movies. Marksmanship is great but you cannot be 100% assured that your dead eye is going to have one shot kills against 3 bad guys that are moving and firing against you. Do you see my point here???? If not then you are missing it on purpose. Now back to the "take down and putting back togethor" thing. If you have no problem with the assembly and disassembly of the 1911 then God has Blessed You. I have always found them to be a Pain in the you know what. But thats a personal preference thing. Ever since my wifes good friends husband was killed with a AK-47 at the Westroads Mall in Omaha I have been a "changed man". That was 3 years ago this last December. But thats another story. God bless you guys. You are all great.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    ChuckXX wrote: »
    Ever since my wifes good friends husband was killed with a AK-47 at the Westroads Mall in Omaha I have been a "changed man". That was 3 years ago this last December. But thats another story. God bless you guys. You are all great.

That situation was a sad one ... that scum just wanted to kill and he did. In a case against an AK and in an open public area you more or less are screwed. I won't even guess what I'd do beside soil my skivvies.

In a handgun versus a long gun (semi-auto especially) you are and pray for the other guy to be an idiot or him to have bad luck.

Again to capacity, if I knew it I would not put myself in a situation where I would have that level of pucker factor. If I knew I would be I be armed with a long gun and a side arm, bring a friend who carried a long gun and a side arm and still think twice. The number of rounds you carry does not mean you will be able hit your target or even fire if the . I have no idea and would not have a clue where to find info on it but in a civilian defensive shooting I don't hink you'd see even 10 rounds fired unless it is just a case of fire until the slide locks back.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    Three bad guys come in to hold up the joint. Two have AK-47's and one has a pistol. Your in the back getting a loaf of bread. I now ask you would you rather have a 16 shooter or a 8+1 shooter. Screw the 165 grains vs. my 147 grains. I want "capacity" at this point in my life along with another 16 mag capacity on my belt. Are you familiar with what "adrenaline" does to you at this point??? I can assure you my Winchester PDX-1 supreme elite 147 grain jacketed hollow points will keep up with your 165 grain babys just fine. But as the shooting commences I will still be more comfortable knowing I have 16+16 rounds of firepower. I have thought about this alot over the years. I've seen way tooooo many movies. Marksmanship is great but you cannot be 100% assured that your dead eye is going to have one shot kills against 3 bad guys that are moving and firing against you. Do you see my point here???? .
    Chuck, in your little scenario, how many rounds you're carrying is pretty much a moot point. 3 on 1, 2 rifles and a pistol v 1 pistol, it's a pretty safe bet the ONE is "hosed" no matter what he's packing (Unless it happens to be a frag grenade)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• WhitewookieWhitewookie Member Posts: 181 Member
    To: NCFUBAR, LM Larsen, & Slanteyedshootist; I think all 3 of you kinda missed the real gist of my post. So with your permission Iam going to rephrase the whole thing. First of all NO there is no hurry to clean my pistols. I too find it kinda fun and enjoyable. Sometimes it even takes me 20 minutes because I too want them babys clean as a whisle. Now for the more important point I was trying to make. Back to the Kwik Shop. Three bad guys come in to hold up the joint. Two have AK-47's and one has a pistol. Your in the back getting a loaf of bread. I now ask you would you rather have a 16 shooter or a 8+1 shooter. Screw the 165 grains vs. my 147 grains. I want "capacity" at this point in my life along with another 16 mag capacity on my belt. Are you familiar with what "adrenaline" does to you at this point??? I can assure you my Winchester PDX-1 supreme elite 147 grain jacketed hollow points will keep up with your 165 grain babys just fine. But as the shooting commences I will still be more comfortable knowing I have 16+16 rounds of firepower. I have thought about this alot over the years. I've seen way tooooo many movies. Marksmanship is great but you cannot be 100% assured that your dead eye is going to have one shot kills against 3 bad guys that are moving and firing against you. Do you see my point here???? If not then you are missing it on purpose. Now back to the "take down and putting back togethor" thing. If you have no problem with the assembly and disassembly of the 1911 then God has Blessed You. I have always found them to be a Pain in the you know what. But thats a personal preference thing. Ever since my wifes good friends husband was killed with a AK-47 at the Westroads Mall in Omaha I have been a "changed man". That was 3 years ago this last December. But thats another story. God bless you guys. You are all great.

Yes...yes you have....
    RV,
    Harry
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." - Robert Heinlein
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    I never knew the 1911 was a pain... now the Ruger MK II that could be described as a pain.

As for the scenario with the two guys with AKs. UUMM you pretty much screwed there unless they aint got a clue. You got 16 + 1 they got 30 times two much more powerful rounds. As for me I got no problem with a 5 shot revolver, I sure wouldn't have issue with a semi with 7 or 8 in the mag.. in fact when I carry a semi it has 7 round mags. Course I do carry at least 2 reloads and occasionaly 4. IF I believe there might be trouble I probably wont go.. if I got to go I gonna get some friends to go with me if at all possible and I gon carry something sides a handgun or two.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    I never knew the 1911 was a pain...

It's not...by the time my kids were 12 they could field strip, clean and reassemble a 1911...we worked with the understanding that "if you're old enough to shoot it, you're old enough to clean it"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member

Ever heard of Alvin C. York? Killed 6 Germans, in a trench, shooting a 1911 with dumb old 230 gr. BALL ammunition. In the process he got a whole German unit to surrender to him. Took 132 prisoners. Oh, and the guys he was taking on? They weren't armed with just rifles. They had machine guns.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    :popcorn:
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    As far as belts go, I have had excellent results with Blackhawk CQC belts, and at $30 for a stiffened leather gator finish 1.5 inch wide belt in up to size 48 it's a bargain.

18-794-IMG1.jpeg

Link:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/CQC-Pistol-Belts,794,61.htm

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    " Hated the take apart and put back togethor hassle of it."

You do comedy quite well, are you a professional comedian ?
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member

Re the Kwik Shop scenario. I don't think I'd stand a chance either way. Three guys, all packing. Me with limited mobility (otherwise known as Oldfartitits). I'd probably end up toast and so would any other bystanders in the place. I'm not arguing that high capacity is not good but you go with what you got.

Disassembling the 1911. No tools except a screwdriver if I remove the grips. Couldn't be simpler.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    The Westroads mall situation was a single-shooter scenario. Did the guy suddenly grow two more personalities, all armed? I doubt if the situation would have changed much, even if all his victims had been armed with high-capacity handguns. He picked a crowded mall, rode an elevator to a position where he could shoot down at people, and carried a rifle with high-capacity magazines. He only fired approximately half his available ammo before killing himself.

Using that situation as an excuse to make unfounded criticisms of the 1911 is illogical and unconvincing.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    To answer the original question, the 1911's not that big. It's pretty slim. A bit weighty, though. I carry mine in a Crossbreed-style IWB holster with an Uncle Mike's reinforced instructor belt.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ChuckXXChuckXX Banned Posts: 103 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The Westroads mall situation was a single-shooter scenario. Did the guy suddenly grow two more personalities, all armed? I doubt if the situation would have changed much, even if all his victims had been armed with high-capacity handguns. He picked a crowded mall, rode an elevator to a position where he could shoot down at people, and carried a rifle with high-capacity magazines. He only fired approximately half his available ammo before killing himself.

Using that situation as an excuse to make unfounded criticisms of the 1911 is illogical and unconvinc
    Jerry
    Jerry; I in no way was critisizing the 1911. As a matter of fact I more than respect the 1911. I just don't like it because of the low capacity it carries vs my 16 round 9mm pistols. As far as the Westroads Mall incident goes, no there were not 3 personalities there, (never said there was) but I do know more about the story than most folks having a friends husband that was killed there. And I disagree with you that you couldn't have done anything about it. I think a well armed and well practiced citizen could have possibly saved "some" lives that day. But fate took over and that didn't happen. But it did "change" how I look at scenarios today.
    A cool hand with a good .357 could have handled the situation. But then he'd only have 6 shots, so that would be even less capacity...

Edited to add: I find the whole capacity debate somewhat laughable, really. If you ever are involved in a shootout, you are responsible for every round downrange. EVERY ONE. That includes misses and accidental hits, too. To say that you need more bullets to take on multiple targets implies that the shooter plans on missing a lot or hitting a few unintended bystanders.

If the opponent is behind cover, what is planned? Suppressing fire to make sure he keeps his head down? Where are those bullets going? Or are you going to try and shoot through the cover, damaging property? Better to take a careful shot and make sure the cretin goes down than to fling bullets off into nowhere that will have at BEST minimal effect, and at worst could injure or kill someone.

If you want to watch a movie where multiple bad guys are taken on in a realistic fashion, watch "Heat," the big bank robbery scene in particular. A couple of things worth noting:
    1. Pacino's character carries a weapon capable of full-auto fire, as do many of the cops. But they never use that capability, as they are responsible for every round downrange.
    2. They only fire when given a clear shot. Not an iffy shot.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Jerry; I in no way was critisizing the 1911. As a matter of fact I more than respect the 1911. I just don't like it because of the low capacity it carries vs my 16 round 9mm pistols. As far as the Westroads Mall incident goes, no there were not 3 personalities there, (never said there was) but I do know more about the story than most folks having a friends husband that was killed there. And I disagree with you that you couldn't have done anything about it. I think a well armed and well practiced citizen could have possibly saved "some" lives that day. But fate took over and that didn't happen. But it did "change" how I look at scenarios today.

You are correct ... but I think my definition of well armed a situation like this varies greatly from yours. To take action against a "person" armed with a semi-auto rifle who has the high ground I would never think of using ANY handgun be it a 1911, Glock 21, Colt Python or so on. I would have to have a good rifle AND it would still take time to move into a position to even be able to try to stop the threat. As cowardly as it sounds I do not think I could gather enough composure in the minute or 2 to even be able to work into a position ... rounds whizzing by you can really mess with your mind set. Here's a real twist for the mall ... the 2 large malls in my area have police substations (gray area but some LEOs read that as a no carry zone under NC Statuates) AND are posted "NO WEAPONS" so legally licensed citizens would not even be armed against predators like this in them.

In short, my opinion is in the real world being armed gives you a little better chance of surviving BUT when you are out gunned and in a lesser position, no matter how many rounds you have you are either going to be one LUCKY S.O.B. or one dead brave soul if you take hasty action.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • CaptainRoadBlockCaptainRoadBlock Member Posts: 49 Member
    http://looperlawenforcement.com/index.html

these guys are great and custom make to order.
    So Officer, why did you shoot my client 8 times? Uh, the magazine ran dry.
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    Well, sticking with Kwik shop scenario, unless the BGs start shooting up the place, I'm not going to start a shootout over the store's money.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown
  • BILLCALLEYBILLCALLEY New Member Posts: 10 New Member

A picture is worth a thousand words :blah::

attachment.php?attachmentid=2376&d=1349036035

attachment.php?attachmentid=2377&d=1349036039

attachment.php?attachmentid=2378&d=1349036043

attachment.php?attachmentid=2379&d=1349036048

attachment.php?attachmentid=2375&d=1349036031

Very comfortable to carry all day in the Missourri Slick 1911 holster.

-Bill
    BILLCALLEY wrote: »

A picture is worth a thousand words :blah::

-Bill
    linking to pics you've attached on another forum doesn't work :silly:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    OH NO, A ZOMBIE THREAD!!

:silly:
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    Man, it must have taken a backhoe to dig up this moldy oldie! Anybody checked this new post for SPAM status?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    knitepoet wrote: »
    linking to pics you've attached on another forum doesn't work :silly:

Sorry Knitepoet, I didn't know you could'nt see the pics unless they were attachted to this forum. I will modify.

-Bill
    6.jpg 90.7K
    1.jpg 91.5K
    2.jpg 105.8K
    3.jpg 93.1K
    Man, it must have taken a backhoe to dig up this moldy oldie! Anybody checked this new post for SPAM status?
    Jerry

Thank you for making a brand new member feel so welcome, Teach. Much appreciated.

-Bill
    Anybody checked this new post for SPAM status?
    Jerry
    Yep, that's how I knew he'd tried to link pics attached to another forum

Bill, if you stick around, you'll find that MOST of the time, when a thread this old gets resurrected, it was normally done by a spammer.
    Compared to some forums, Teach's comment is quite mild for a thread this old. I've seen folks "jumped" for a 2 week old thread that had dropped to the second page

Thanks Knitepoet, but I guess I still don't understand what is so "spam-like" about my post: considering that this thread is about "Advice on carrying a 1911 concealed", why would anyone in his right mind think that my post -- which shows a great way (IMHO) to carry a 1911 concealed -- even remotely think it's possible spam?? And I don't see what I'm "selling" in my post anyway.

Shouldn't a little common sense come into play before accusing someone of spamming??? :uhm:

-Bill