Man-shot-to-death-while-holding-baby

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/189732/44/Man-shot-to-death-while-holding-baby

SCOTTSDALE, AZ (KPNX) -- An Arizona man was shot to death by police Tuesday while holding his grandson.

Police say 50-year-old John Loxas was holding his grandchild in his arms as he walked around his Scottsdale neighborhood Tuesday night threatening neighbors and police.

"There were at least three officers in position to engage the suspect. At least one of the officers thought he saw something in the suspect's hands," said Sgt. Mark Clark.

Loxas was standing outside of his home with his grandchild still in his arms when Officer James Peters fired one shot to the head, killing the suspect.

Police say the 9-month-old boy was not injured during the shooting.

Officers also escaped unharmed.

Some neighbors are now questioning the officers actions.

Investigators say the officers on the scene thought Loxas was holding a gun.

Detectives did not find a weapon on Loxas following the shooting, but did locate several firearms inside the home.

Officer Peters, who fired the fatal shot, has been involved in seven shootings over the past decade.
Six of those have been fatal, and all have been ruled justified.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    Hmmmm "assault with a deadly kid"???...

My initial impressions...

"He didn't have a gun, but there were several in his home" typical unmitigated media B.S.

Sounds like Officer Peters is taking "I thought he had a gun.." to a whole new level...

However, I wasn't there and even though there was a newspaper article (especially since there was a newspaper article)...no one knows what really went on....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Hmmmmm- - - -seven shootings - - - - - -six fatalaties- - - - -does the term "trigger-happy" come to mind? Some cops go an entire career without having to fire a weapon other than qualifying periodically.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hmmmmm- - - -seven shootings - - - - - -six fatalaties- - - - -does the term "trigger-happy" come to mind? Some cops go an entire career without having to fire a weapon other than qualifying periodically.
    Jerry
    Brings better him than me to a whole new level.
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    Here's a more in-depth story with a lot more information, including 4 of his past 6 shootings were part of a SWAT team, 1 was a hostage situation. Also, he killed the Loxas with a "scoped rifle".
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-officer-ariz-shooting-shot-15669058?page=2#.Tz6r37RLODc

I don't know how coincidental it is to be involved in that many shootings, but it still seems an awful lot, especially in a town of 220,000 people. It is still very scary that any neighbor can call in, regardless of what details, and an unarmed gun owner is dead.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    It is easy to see how things can escalate, I was not there, so I can hazard nothing about this particular event, but in the past I helped defuse incidents that may have escalated seriously, had not prudence and clear thinking prevailed.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    I read this in the paper today. The deceased was in a standoff with police, holding the child in his arms. He bent over as if reaching for something while he was in the doorway and the cop shot him in the head. It turned out that there was a loaded shotgun and a handgun within his reach.
    As far as I'm concerned, with the available evidence, the cop was justified in taking the shot as in all of his previous encounters.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "the cop was justified in taking the shot as in all of his previous encounters."

Should read: the cop was cleared by a review board in taking the shot, as he was in all of his previous encounters.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996