I think Herman Cain blew it big time yesterday

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain was interviewed on Fox Sunday by Chris Wallace. Cain was asked about this local controversy where some residents want to prevent a Muslim Mosque from being built.

Cain said yes, the residents should be able to prevent this, because a Mosque not only teaches religion but Muslim law, and that law goes counter to the US constitution. (I'm paraphrasing here but I think I got his opinion correct).

Wow, sorry, Herman, I like you but that's just a 180 from the Bill or Rights. Someone teaching shariah law in a Mosque may not set well with us, but they've got every right to teach it as part of their religion.

Cain tried to say that the Muslims were different, because they not only teach religion but law.

Er, Herman, ever heard of the Ten Commandments? Don't Christian ministers preach obedience to the Bible's law? Don't Rabbis teach Mosaic law?

No, we don't allow people to impose their religious laws or teachings upon others. And if some radical Muslims try to push shariah law on those in public, no, they cannot do that. So-called "honor killings" of women who've broken Islamic code are murder and should be prosecuted fully. After all, strict Mosaic law teaches to stone an aldulteress to death. But we don't allow devout Jews to do that here.

I think Cain was way out of line and really stepped into it. Now if he'd said that people who try to break US law by imposing shariah law are wrong, sure. But to say that these folks should be able to prevent the building of a Mosque? Nope, Hermann. Sorry.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    Another dumb .
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    You thoroughly expressed the sentiment of freedom loving people, Sam. Well done!

:beer:
    Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Yes, it was a big mistake indeed.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    One more in a series of missteps, in my opinion.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,419 Senior Member
    He has every right to think that, but he was totally out of line to SAY it when he's running for president. I'm pretty sure O'bummer has some radical, anti-American beliefs, but he's smart enough to keep them to himself. Between Cain's anti-gun comments and this screwup, he's shot himself in both feet while swimming in shark-infested waters. He's going to get eaten alive by the right and the left!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Coworker had an interesting point: if a community is allowed to prohibit Islam, the First Amendment is no longer valid and binding. Considering Islam is the fastest-growing world religion, it's possible that Islam could therefore become the dominant religion in the US. If that were to happen, the very measure that excluded Islam would therefore allow Moslems to implement Sharia law, as the First Amendment is no longer applicable.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,419 Senior Member
    Try being a Baptist in Louisiana, or anything but a Mormon in Utah! Regional prejudices already exist, but they cannot be allowed to become government policy!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Amen, brother!
    Overkill is underrated.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I've previously liked Cain and thought he has good ideas (which he does). But he's dynamited his chances for a strong candidate position lately.

Now, we get a Republican prez in 2012? Cain as Secy of Commerce? Sounds good.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Very Nice Sam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And to make a long post short I am agreeing with all the replys here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again WHAT A MESS!!!! we are in politically at the moment in this country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " I have been to three world fairs, and two goat races, and I ain't never seen nothing like this"
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    It's a shame. I think Cain has great ideas when it comes to economic issues and where government should and shouldn't involve itself in the private sector. But he's making it clear that he is not presidential material. I probably would have voted for him if not for this.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "No, we don't allow people to impose their religious laws or teachings upon others. And if some radical Muslims try to push shariah law on those in public, no, they cannot do that. So-called "honor killings" of women who've broken Islamic code are murder and should be prosecuted fully. After all, strict Mosaic law teaches to stone an aldulteress to death. But we don't allow devout Jews to do that here."

As far as I know, no part of Judaism since before Hillel and Shammai advocated stoning an adulteress.
    And we know 99.9% of Orthodox Judaism is law and decisions on said law, (Halachah).

The problem with radical Islam / Muslims is the killing of the Infidel, non Muslims, as on 9/11/01.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996