I'm looking to buy new CCW 9mm compact...please advise

13»

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,147 Senior Member
    The trigger action was smooth. It's kind of a spring loaded deal, where you can pull back on it about a quarter of an inch before you get real resistance, then BLAM! They had the 40 cal in the same configuration as what I got, except the 40 could hold only 10+1, where the 9mm carries 12+1.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    The trigger action was smooth. It's kind of a spring loaded deal, where you can pull back on it about a quarter of an inch before you get real resistance, then BLAM! They had the 40 cal in the same configuration as what I got, except the 40 could hold only 10+1, where the 9mm carries 12+1.

Pics !! or $5 fine !!!
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Pics !! or $5 fine !!!
    Hahaha...OK, will do. Just got the thing last night and supposed to meet Sir George at Daytona today for Bike Week. Either tomorrow or Sunday is the best I can do.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    OK, I had a change of schedule for today, so I took a couple of pics for you guys.

The first one is a pic of the two 9mm that I have, including the one just purchased. As you can see, the one towards the bottom of the picture is a little smaller. This is the 9mm compact I got yesterday. The main difference in size from the one on top is about 1/2 inch shorter in the grip area and 1/2 inch in slide length. It has ambidextrous slide release buttons and left side mag release. It is double action and no manual safety. The larger one is very similar in design. I use a rectangular belt pack for a holster, and it seems to fit quite well in there. The larger one would have been a little too big for this. The new gun came with two extra grip expanders, shown lower left, so that you have a total of three different grip sizes for different hands. The ammo pictured is Remington 147 grain brass-jacketed hollow points.

Regarding the target picture, as you can see, most of the rounds hit the target on the center-left and lower left areas. I fired all rounds at a distance ranging from 10 feet to 40 feet. I definitely need more practice at this. This was explained to me by one of the range guys as holding my forefinger too far into the trigger area, probably up to the first joint, when I should have placed it midway between finger tip and first joint.

Anyway, I'm happy I finally got something, and I'm fairly satisfied with it so far. Thanks for all the tips.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    You can up the capacity to 17 rounds by using full size M&P mags and a X Grip extension. The grain on the X Grip matches the original real well.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    There is a really nice chart that shows this too.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    You can up the capacity to 17 rounds by using full size M&P mags and a X Grip extension. The grain on the X Grip matches the original real well.
    That's good to know, I will keep that in mind.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    There is a really nice chart that shows this too.
    Chart on what? Link?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    It shows the location of fliers and tells you what incorrect action may be causing them.

Do not have a link, it was something I was once given when I was instructing....
    Maybe it's available on the net...will try to find it.......Here is something I found....maybe this is what you were talking about.

www.degrata.com/pdf/commonshootingerrors.pdf
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    It shows the location of fliers and tells you what incorrect action may be causing them.

Do not have a link, it was something I was once given when I was instructing....

Something like this?

wheel.jpg
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Something like this?

wheel.jpg
    The one at 9 O'clock is the mistake I was making.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    That's the one.....

Thanks !