Home Main Category General Firearms

My latest holster creation.

calebibcalebib Senior MemberColoradoPosts: 1,701 Senior Member
I decided that I wanted to try carrying my 442 with a small of the back holster so I did a little sketching and came up with this design. It holds the gun nice and snug and when seated I can barely feel the gun back there. It's designed to have one loop on the left side of the center/rear beltloop on the pants so that while drawing the holster is kept from sliding on the belt. I think it looks pretty nice too.

IMG_5564.JPG
IMG_5565.JPG

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,761 Senior Member
    Nice work and a clever design.

Sako
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member ColoradoPosts: 1,701 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Looks pretty darn nice to me. I've never carried SOB. How is it for retrieval in the speed sense?

I'll have to do some practicing but so far it seems like it would be pretty quick.
    sakodude wrote: »
    Nice work and a clever design.

Sako

Thanks. I think I might make a similar one for my BG380.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Corvallis, OregonPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Really nice workmanship. Great job!
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Really nice workmanship. Great job!

Thank you.
    I plan to wear it with a jacket for cover. I don't wear shirts untucked very often. So far it does not press into my back much at all and the gun is actually off center so it does not sit against my spine.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Spine or kidney- - - -either way, if you take a hard fall, you're going to be too disabled to draw the piece. I'm kind of spooky about placing a piece of metal that size anywhere near my back.
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,292 Senior Member
    Nice work! Did you glue the area around the cut through belt loop or is it just held together with the stitching? Also...do you have any idea what weight leather you're using?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I forget the exact weight but it shoulder so it's pretty heavy, about 3/16" thick. I was going to glue it but my barge cement dried up so it just stitched. I need to head to Tandy next week.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    One hazard I found with SOB carry, as it happened to Me, the jacket rides up and exposes the gun,
    Getting in and out of vehicles, I was never good on SOB carry or ankle carry either.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member The Heart of DixiePosts: 1,259 Senior Member
    That's some nice craftsman leather work.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    Seriously nice looking holster! I'm interested to hear how it works out.
    I've tried SOB a couple times, didn't work out too well. But, that was a 1911 and a much different holster. I can see how your design could work with a small revolver.
    Thanks for the compliments. We're spending the day house hunting so I think I'll try it out today, gonna be a lot of in and out of the car and walking around.
  • BlkHawk73BlkHawk73 Member MainePosts: 149 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Spine or kidney- - - -either way, if you take a hard fall, you're going to be too disabled to draw the piece. I'm kind of spooky about placing a piece of metal that size anywhere near my back.
    Jerry

My thoughts exactly! There's reason officers do NOT carry hard object in SOB - too many injuries. How I was shown it's not-so-friendly effects...place the gun there and back yourself up into a door frame. Repeat this a bunch of time and each time with more force. Hurt? Now imagine falling onto that same spot to a concrete surface. Yeah, it's gonna REALLY hurt and if your lucky, won't cause any permanent injury.
    That said...it does look nicely done! :)
  • BlkHawk73BlkHawk73 Member MainePosts: 149 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

My thoughts exactly! There's reason officers do NOT carry hard object in SOB - too many injuries. How I was shown it's not-so-friendly effects...place the gun there and back yourself up into a door frame. Repeat this a bunch of time and each time with more force. Hurt? Now imagine falling onto that same spot to a concrete surface. Yeah, it's gonna REALLY hurt and if your lucky, won't cause any permanent injury.
    That said...it does look nicely done! :)
    calebib wrote: »
    Thanks for the compliments. We're spending the day house hunting so I think I'll try it out today, gonna be a lot of in and out of the car and walking around.

Well ???? don't keep Us in suspense, some of Us are a bit too old !!!!!
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,766 Senior Member
    Nice holster. What do you ask for leather-wise at Tandy's, and how much (or how little) do they require you to buy.

Fall on a gun anywhere and it's gonna hurt, so the SOB holster doesn't bother me at all. Not my first choice since it's a long way around from the back to the firing position, (180 degrees) but it's good for concealment. At least you can't see it, so likely no one else can.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Anybody can buy from Tandy but I have a wholesale account so I get a substantial discount.

After spending the day with it I'd say it's best reserved for wear when you expect to be on your feet more than seated or driving. When seated it does get a little annoying after a while but when walking it just disappears. I was wearing a pea coat which will conceal most anything but couple that with the location of the holster, I can pull it back to get my wallet or phone without worrying about flashing the gun. So far I'm quite pleased with it.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Denver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
    Bummer it didn't work out like you planned, but like you said...if you are spending more time on your feet, sounds good to go! I'd love to have something like that, since with my stature and clothes I wear, anything but SOB or in the pocket, print LOUDLY that I am carrying.

Any luck on the house?? Hope that went well, I'm looking forward to steaming the old place lol. BTW I'm going to be more or less on my own within the next week or two, so I'll be able to sell/service that myself ;)
    House hunting SUCKS!
    I love house hunting, mouse hunting too !!

Then again I love old fixer uppers....
    Anybody can buy from Tandy but I have a wholesale account so I get a substantial discount.

After spending the day with it I'd say it's best reserved for wear when you expect to be on your feet more than seated or driving. When seated it does get a little annoying after a while but when walking it just disappears. I was wearing a pea coat which will conceal most anything but couple that with the location of the holster, I can pull it back to get my wallet or phone without worrying about flashing the gun. So far I'm quite pleased with it.

Hence the reason why I ditched the idea when I was a LEO, it was an epic fail.

It did flash.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Denver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
    House hunting SUCKS!

Haha I hear ya. Apartment hunting isn't any better, that is why I said screw it and re-signed again at this place. More then anything, I just didn't want to deal with the BS of moving.