Home Main Category Hunting

Experiences with game wardens? Good, bad or otherwise.

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 8,227 Senior Member
Seems like the stupid game law thread has quieted down, so I thought I'd start this one. It strikes me as a pretty good follow-on.

I'll start.

I've been hunting and fishing for about 50 years. During that time, I've only had a few encounters with game wardens. I can honestly say not a single one of them has been negative. In every instance, regardless of the circumstances, the warden(s) were polite and professional, and made it clear that they were simply doing their job.

I applaud the work they do, and appreciate them for doing it.

Next.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    One of the things that gives me the most satisfaction of carrying out my duties as a wildlife officer/game warden is helping those guys who are out there doing it. There are times when hunters fail the 'attitude ' test and then I play things by the book.

For both hunters and wardens alike, you only get back what you put into the relationship generally speaking. However there are some guys that simply should not have any power just like there are some hunters that should never pick up a gun.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    The only negative experience I had I brought it on myself. I was 18 years old and taking a guest hunting one weekend. This guy was a Baptist Preacher from Arkansas. I took him hunting one morning then we came back huntinh again that afternoon. But we were one field over from where I had permission to hunt and we were walking behind a rice canal levee to get up on a large flock of geese in a field. We were almost there when I heard a car door shut. I looked up and there he was, Mr. Game Warden.

I had that familiar sick feeling in my stomach, you know that same one you feel when you get caught with your hand in a cookie jar? It was a guy named Homer Robertson, a very locally famous guy around here back in the 50s and 60s. Anyway, I told my hunting partner that we better go back to the car and see what he wanted. He ask me who's land we were on and I gave him the name. However, must have been the wrong name, LOL!!! It wasn't Mel Shillings land, but Mr. Henke's who would have his own brother arrested. But Homer either felt sorry for us or just wanted to scare us. So he took us back to the Shillings house and I saw Mrs. Shillings talkng to him. He came back to the car, gave us our guns back (Which he had initially confiscated) and told us Mr. Shillings wasn't home just yet and he'd have to talk to him and he would get in touch with us when he talked to him. We got in that old 57 Ford and took off for town. When we got home my mother was waiting for me by the driveway. She said Mrs. Shillings had called her already and that it wasn't their land, it was her brother's Mr. Henke's and the game warden had made a mistake. Actually He didn't make a mistake. Homer knew whose land it was and didn't really want to bust us kids. He just wanted to scare us so we'd learn a lesson and we did. Also, Mrs. Shillings told him to scare us a little too, but she knew my mother and didn't want to worry us. But we did dodge a Big bullet. My dad would have killed me if I'd gotten a fine. But we didn't thanks be to God. That cured me. I have never trespassed since. I don't care if there are naked women running in the field carrying buckets of gold, I will never...... ahhh ..... Oh well I take that back, we all have our limits, Hehehehe!!! But they better have buckets of gold and they better be damn Good Lookin and naked as the day they were borned!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I've only had one "run in" with a warden. I was fishing just out side of town, he came by to see that I had my license and all. He was very friendly about it, asked me how the fishin was that day, reminded me about the "dangerous mountain lion" in the area (there were signs posted). Then the same guy came back about 2 hours later when I found an injured hawk and called fish and game to come get the poor thing. He was polite that time too, so were the two Yellowstone County Deputys that came with him. They asked if I had a shotgun with me (bird had been wing shot) but otherwise they wern't pushy or rude.
  • Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member
    Funny that I just came across this thread because today I was just thinking about bumping into the Game Warden when I was out fishing this afternoon. I am still young, but I have never come across a Game Warden once while hunting or fishing. I only hunt in Virginia, but I have fished all over the country and never once have I had a Game Warden come up to me. The local Warden even hunts on of the farms I hunt but Ive never seen him there either.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I've dealt with wardens on a number of occasions over the years. Most wardens were friendly and professional. Some go out of the way to find a violation.

The only experience with a warden that I consider bad, was in the early 80's when lead shot for waterfowl was outlawed. We were on private property in a field over goose decoys. The warden drove as far as the road allowed, got out of his truck and walked to us while the sky was full of birds. He demanded to inspect our shells. He pulled out a magnet to verify that our shells were steel shot. I was mad as hell, but only a teen, so I had no idea what my rights were.

Snake, this was south of Palacios. You probably knew this warden.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,296 Senior Member
    I have met and dealt with 3 in MN on various occassions, I was cited once for not having a current tab on a snowmobile. One had the personality of a stack of paper plates, all business, not outright rude, but hardly friendly. Another was gunning for a rise out of us at deer camp but settled down after we chatted with him and was polite and professional. The last is very professional, but he would write his own mom a ticket, he usually shows up at gun safety classes and some of the banquets to address any rules and regs changes and answer any questions. We have one in Northern MN that watched a guys stand that was legally baiting in front of his stand with the trail cam in use before the season, when the guy cleaned up the baiting before the season started the CO shows up opening morning and writes him a ticket for not cleaning up the corn, still in the grass, to his satisfaction and thus banned him from his stand for the rest of the firearms season. I guess it is esier to stake out a stand on several occassions and write a ticket than it is to educate the hunter on cleaning up the last little bit of corn in the grass.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Yeah in the 80s I would remember. Do you have a name? If you want IM me. Palacious is just across Matagorda Bay from me, actually more across from Indianola. In the early 80s Jimmy Birmingham would probably have been in charge in the area in the early to mid 80s. Later it was Doug Veech, David Heard, Robert Dominguez, Joe McClure, Kevin Stancik, and RG Martinez to name a few.

Jimmy Birmingham was the one that got me into teaching Hunter Ed in 1981. He died later in his boat in the Intercoastal Canal between Port O'Connor and Seadrift. He had a severe heart attack and ran his boat up on the bank. They found him a couple hours after he died. He was a good man. David Heard, one of my other favorites, died in 2007 from Pancreatic cancer. He was another good guy in uniform. Veech is still around but retired. He's not too personable, but he's a straight shooter and a good warden. Joe McClure was a personal friend too and a fellow gun club member. He was transferred to Austin around 1990. Robert Dominguez and Kevin Stancik are the only ones I think that are still active wardens around here. They're good guys too, but Kevin made me very angry one night. But that's another story. Mack Chambers was another one but he was transfered to Galveston about three years ago.

There were many game wardens in the 80s because of all the fishing law changes. Nets were outlawed, Trout and Redfish were classified as Game fish putting them off limits for commercial fishermen, and in 83 we had a disasterous freeze and in 86 we had disaterous red tides that both devistated fish numbers in that decade. On Christmas day 1989 the mercury plunged lower than I have ever seen it around here. It got down to 8 degrees F that morning. But the saving grace was that it warmed up fairly quickly. In 83 it got down to 12 degrees on Christmas morning but didn't warm up. It stayed below freezing for 6 days and killed hundreds of thousands of fish.

Game wardens were particularly busy in the 80s chasing illegal netters and other outlaws. Throughout most of the 80s and 90s was a very busy time for them. R. G. Martinez, another of my gun club buddies, injured his back when he rammed an illegal netter's boat. What they would do was run the game warden boat up on the stern deck of an illegal netter's net skiff and jump out and nab them before they could dump their coolers over the side, because a fish that's gutted and gilled will sink and there goes the evidence. When R.G. hit the netter's boat it knocked him out of the game warden's boat and he landed on his back on the netter's deck. He ended up retiring over it.

Anyway those are the only names I can remember that were game wardens then. Oh I forgot, Bob Porter. Joe McClure once told me that Bob would arrest his own grand mother. There were a couple more but that's all I can remember right now. I don't know if any of those names will ring a bell for you. Even the best of em can have a bad day and piss you off, LOL!!!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,197 Senior Member
    I have never come across a game warden while hunting, but once while fishing on a Wildlife Refuge my license was checked.
    Now during Mini Season for Lobster, OMG every agency and I think every LEO that is wildlife associated including county, state and federal are on the water and at docks checking your catch for count and size. After almost being run over by idiot boat drivers twice in one night I no longer participate in Mini season but our boat was always checked at least once while on the water and always when unloading coolers at the dock. Most were very strict and profesional, but gave no breaks to people who were over the limit, had bugs with eggs or undersized tails.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Mostly good, only two I thought were less than professional.

That was when I was 11 and pheasant hunting in Northern Wis.
    A guy dressed and acting as a scumbag came up to us and asked where he could shoot some hens.
    We did not know, then he pulls his warden badge and goes through his normal warden expected hunter check.

I was hunting a beaver pond in the National Forrest and as I was walking out to the dirt road the warden shouts at me from behind a tree and about gives me the big one. After that I always announced I was coming out and if there was a warden to tell me so I did not have a heart attack; he never came back.

I had a warden check me while duck hunting so well I thought he was going to strip search me, then each time he saw me he just waved and called me by name.

I had two federal wardens try to find the plug in a sportsman 58 even after I told them it was 3 shot only gun.

This deer season I had an ex warden now National Forrest LEO start in on me with what are you doing here, why are you dressed line that; ie, trying to be intimidating. I was on a bicycle on the dirt road with blaze orange on and a .44mag on my hip with muffs on. I told him I was riding my bike and the orange was because if I saw a deer I would try to shoot it. His response was with what? I told him and his eyes got real big because; I guess, he was more interested in being tough than being a proper officer on a proper hunter check and missed the revolver in plain sight.

So, I would say I had two incidents that were not up to par, a couple of amusing ones and many that were very professional.
  • pbearperrypbearperry Member Posts: 91 Member
    Every time I have had an encounter with Game Wardens in Maine,they have always been professional and sometimes helpful.Most of my encounters with Mass. Game Wardens,I have been treated as if I was a felon wearing orange.The Mass. guys seem to not like hunters at all.
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    I've heard plenty of horror stories from others but all of my interactions game wardens have been positive
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,148 Senior Member
    When I was home on leave, I went duck hunting with some friends...the local warden (Milburn) was waiting for us at out parked car to check licenses, stamps and plugs....
    Milburn had a trainee with him and left all the checking stuff up to him while he chatted with me about the Army, etc. Soon enough, the guy got to me, looked at my license, then asked me if my gun was plugged...Milburn and I looked down at the side-by-side broken over my arm and just stared at him...and he says "I need to see if it's plugged..." Milburn hung his head in dismay and said..."Just get back in the car dumbXXX...and you guys have a good day"....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • airheadairhead Member Posts: 424 Member
    After dove hunting in Oklahoma as a kid, I'd see the warden waiting to count our doves and check plugs about once a season.

Once in Kansas pheasant hunting on opening day. Checked our birds and asked us how the day had been.

A few times her in Florida on the intercoastal. Checked fish box and counted life jackets.

All have been very courteous professionals doing their job.
    This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    A classic Jayhawker, LOL!!!

Like I said in my above post last night, I did have a runin with Kevin Stancik. My present wife and I were fishing off the peer here at the end of main street in Port Lavaca. I was fishing for Black Drum and maybe a Red. I had a big rig with heavy weight and two hooks and 50 pound test line. My wife as usual had her light weight open faced Shimano Reel on a 7 foot light spinning rod, our go to for fishing for almost anything here. When we got there this loud mouth was talking. He asked me if I ever kept a large black drum or oversized red. I told him that as for black drum if it was under 30 and over 14 yes or if it was that rare 50 inch one maybe. I will keep an occasional oversized Redfish if I have an oversized tag and if it's not too big. When they get real big, both red and black drum suck. Not worth it and they are the main breeders. Anyway, then he launched into telling me about how he never kept an illegal fish. He went on and on with examples. At one point I almost ask him who he was trying to convince. Anyway, my wife heard him shooting off his mouth. My wife fishes that peer much more often than me. And she had told me about some guy that was hauling in big drum and reds and put them in his car. Anyway, my wife made a crack something like Yeah right! and he heard it. Then he left. She must have pissed him off because she called his lying hand. Anyway, about 20 minutes later Kevin shows up and checks our license. he acted like he had never seen me before. Then he asked to look in our cooler. My wife had been catching sand trout 90 to nothing as she always does and had about 50 in her cooler. There's no size or number limit on sand trout so they were all legal. Then Kevin asked her if this is all she had. She said of course. He kept hanging around and finally asked me to let him look in my car. I said of Course and took him to it and opened it up. He looked around and then got down on his belly (Big bellied bohemian, LOL!!!) and flashed his flash light around underneath. Then he asked me to pop the hood. I did. He looked all over. I'm getting perturbed at this point and he could see it. Then we went back out on the peer and he's looking around the railing for something tied to it hanging in the water, presumably a net bag or tow sack full of fish. There was none of course and then he asked me to look in the car again. So of course we go back to the car. This time he's looking under the seats and in everything. He's getting angry because he hasn't found anything but seems convinced we are keeping small speckle trout. He finally admitted he got a call that we were doing that. I ask him if it was some guy from Fort Worth, and he didn't say anything. Then my wife explained what had happend. I also told him to call Mack Chambers and ask him because Mack knows my wife and I well and he doesn't even check our license anymore because we are always within the law. Anyway, it pissed me off that Keven, who actually knew me, went to such lengths to bust us over a phone call. I told him that the guy got mad when my wife made a crack at him for lying. She told Kevin that this same guy was an outlaw and she had personally seen him take illegal fish home. Finally Kevin was satisfyed and I think later he called Mack and some others who knew us and they all vouched for us. Kevin should have know because he knew I was at one time one of the prime Hunter Ed instructors in the area and he had worked with David Heard, Joe McClure and others on my classes. It finally got through to his thick Czeck head and he left. Didn't apoligize but left us to our own. That's the only other confrontation I've had with a warden and he was wrong. He believed the wrong perp.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I got checked a couple of years ago, dove hunting. I had my limit +1, due to picking up a bird another guy shot that fell in a spot he couldn't easily get to. I intended to give it to him right away, but we got swarmed with incoming birds and I forgot. When I got my limit, he was nowhere around, so I carried 16 birds back to the truck, instead of 15. I told the game warden this, and he walked down to where the others were still hunting, and counted their birds and questioned them, individually. He came back, after a while and told me, with a grin, that I should have three more birds. Four of the guys told him that I had picked up a bird for them.

Anyway, he was a reasonable man and had no problems with the way we were hunting, despite a couple of minor technicalities spread throughout our group of ten. He visited awhile and left without issuing any citations. All in all, it was a good experience. This was the only encounter I've ever had with a game warden.
    bisley wrote: »
    I got checked a couple of years ago, dove hunting. I had my limit +1, due to picking up a bird another guy shot that fell in a spot he couldn't easily get to. I intended to give it to him right away, but we got swarmed with incoming birds and I forgot. When I got my limit, he was nowhere around, so I carried 16 birds back to the truck, instead of 15. I told the game warden this, and he walked down to where the others were still hunting, and counted their birds and questioned them, individually. He came back, after a while and told me, with a grin, that I should have three more birds. Four of the guys told him that I had picked up a bird for them.

Anyway, he was a reasonable man and had no problems with the way we were hunting, despite a couple of minor technicalities spread throughout our group of ten. He visited awhile and left without issuing any citations. All in all, it was a good experience. This was the only encounter I've ever had with a game warden.

You were lucky he wasn't a Bob Porter type, LOL!!! Bob would bust his own grandmother. Joe McClure told me that once there were three of them in their office at the courthouse talking. David heard, Joe, and Bob. Joe ask David, "How many tickets have you issued this month?" David said something like 9. Joe said, "I''ve given out 11. How many you given?" Joe asks Bob, winking at David. Bob says, "How many is in a book?" Joe says, "20 I think, Why?" Bob says "Well I have given 40 if there is 20 in a book because I have given two books worth." Joe said this was about 10 days into the month and Bob was on a roll, LOL!!!
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    I've been checked when fishing more times than hunting, probably a dozen times or so- never any problems except once when I could not pull my liscence out of my wallet to save my life, finally found it after tearing every thing out. Whew! My buddy couldn't find his boat reg. (His Dad had it.) but he let us off for that one. I think he really wanted to catch us drinking but no joy for the warden.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Mine have been all good. A couple of times, they showed up at our parking area at the deer woods, after a couple of lost hunters, who were trespassing on our place, called the warden about trespassers. The first time they were a bit on edge, as the parking area is about a mile off any road, way, way back in a holler. They were polite, and professional, though. They checked us out, were on their way. They stopped back the next year, same drill.

I've talked to them while fishing a few times, at boat ramps and parking lots. Never been checked while fishing.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Mine have been all good. A couple of times, they showed up at our parking area at the deer woods, after a couple of lost hunters, who were trespassing on our place, called the warden about trespassers. The first time they were a bit on edge, as the parking area is about a mile off any road, way, way back in a holler. They were polite, and professional, though. They checked us out, were on their way. They stopped back the next year, same drill.

I've talked to them while fishing a few times, at boat ramps and parking lots. Never been checked while fishing.

Oh I've been checked a couple of times both times by guys I knew. I'm glad we were straight arrow though because if we'd have been illegal we'd have been caught bigger n Dallas. They were on us before we knew they were there. Those game warden boats had Yamaha's on them and were very quiet. They were up on our boat in a flash boarding us like a band of pirates. But we are mostly straight laced and I try to make sure we are. I check everybody to make sure they have their license with them before we leave the dock. I make sure I have the boat registration papers too. Every thing up to snuff. Right now I'm mailing off for my new set of biannual registration numbers. That's a pain in the butt, just like with the cars and boat trailer.
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 479 Member
    While teaching Hunter safety courses in Pa, I got to know quite a few officers. All were hunters themselves and true conservationists.They tried to see that anyone going afield had a good experience.It was gratifying to see that the incidence of firearm related accidents was in steady decline.
    Some may recall that Pa lost a fine young officer who was killed by a poacher that he had pulled over.Game wardens are among the very few in enforcement who are always dealing with an armed offender.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
    Gunwalker, the scumbag that killed this officer should be strung up on national TV. Back in the late 70s or early 80s, I can't remember exactly, a Texas Hiway Patrolman pulled a guy over out of Junction Texas on Interstate 10 for a traffic violation of some sort. Junction is BIG deer hunting country and you will see deer blinds from the roads and all along Interstate 10. The perp shot and killed the officer when the officer approached the car. But he failed to take notice of a hunter in a deer blind about 100 yards from the side of the road. Before he could drive off, the hunter put the perp's head in the crosshairs of his 30-06s scope and blew the perp's head off. A great Justice was served and the shooter was a state hero and I think there was dancing in the streets. Of course, in Texas in those days, there were no charges filed on the hunter. That would have taken another officer to do and no officer in his right mind was going to punish a guy for doing the world a favor like that.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Here's some more accurate info. You were in the ball park. :tooth:

attachment.php?attachmentid=75359&stc=1&d=1156434927
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    In all the years and different states that I've hunted in I have never been checked for my license aside from the usual deer registration in Wisconsin. Now fishing is another story. I've been asked for my license numerous times all over the country and during the summer, if you come in the Destin pass on a small boat during daylight, it's almost a guarantee that you will be stopped and checked. It's more of a nuisance than anything as it's almost always the same guy. He's polite and profesional but after he checks you at least 10 times a year for several years and never a violation, you'd think he would just wave as you pass by. The guy never stops big boats or charter boats and many of the charters blatantly keep undersized fish. The only issue I ever had was after being polite to an officer that was checking my fish. I got mad enough to scold him and demand that he pack my fish back in the box and get the ice back on them. We always stop a few miles out and recheck everything in the box to insure that we are not over any limits or that a barely keeper sized snapper or grouper didn't shrink a 1/4" while sitting on ice all day. Then we make sure everything is covered well for the trip in. One day we got stopped for a check in the Destin Pass and one of the guys came on board to dig through the fishbox. He was getting finned quite a bit from all the snapper and I offered him a glove and a hand gaff to help him out which he graciously accepted. After he had all of the fish from a 200qt cooler scattered all over the hot deck, he found everything was legal and was about to climb back into his boat. I politely asked him to place everthing back in the fishbox like he found it and he looked at me like I was kidding. That's when I boiled over on all three of them and the one in charge instructed the young guy on my boat to comply with my wishes. Most of the guys have a little common sense and just pull out the smallest of each species and can assume if it's legal, the larger ones should be legal.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,088 Senior Member
    Only one experience in the field. Out dove hunting, game warden drove up on our group. All of us unloaded our guns and locked them open before he was within 50 yards. I walked over to the truck, starting to dig out my ID and hunting license. The Game warden just asked how we were doing, and if we needed him for anything. Said no, and he drove off. Checked no licenses, no guns, no bag limits.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    "a citizen who was a deer hunt... shot the suspect at a range of 150 yards, killing him." Holy poo! is that legal!? I mean I understand the situation but uh...

Yeah, I was at the right ball game just sitting in the wrong seat... But thanks for the details.
  • CAtrailriderCAtrailrider New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    I was rabbit hunting a few years ago and a warden kinda made me feel like a criminal by standing behind his truck door with his hand on his side arm instructing me to clear my weapon. I understand he was doing his job and was a pleasant experience in the end but the initial meeting was a bit of a bummer.

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,148 Senior Member
    Quinian wrote: »
    "a citizen who was a deer hunt... shot the suspect at a range of 150 yards, killing him." Holy poo! is that legal!? I mean I understand the situation but uh...

As I recall...the "citizen" was presented with a personalized, commemorative handgun by the officers agency by way of thanks for his actions....

can't get much more legal-er-er than that...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Quinian wrote: »
    It is in Texas. We take a dim view of thieves, sex offenders, Pedophiles, and murderers.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,533 Senior Member
    Didn't DPS later give this citizen/hunter a Weatherby rifle? Heard that happened but never knew if it was true or not.

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"