Home Main Category General Firearms

Glock 17, Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P real world report

Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth MemberEastern AZPosts: 139 Member
I finally got that Glock 17 police trade in my buddy had. He threw in a few extras (weapon light, practice ammo, 100 rounds of Speer Gold Dot +P, two holsters, spare mag, and it has night sights). All for the sum of $260.

He came over for a handgun Javalina hunt and we were able to punch a tag.

I used the Gold Dots on the hunt and they performed perfectly. Javalina have long hairs over the shoulders/spine area that make the animal look taller than they are. This is to explain that when aiming at the vitals on a javalina, one must remember to hold lower than is instinctive in order to hit the heart/lung area. I didn't remember to apply this knowledge in the heat of the moment as a large, mature male javalina came through the brush to my call. Fortunately I didn't miss my mark and spined the critter from about 15 yards out. He required a coup de gras, but didn't travel more than 5 yards after the shot. Post mortem showed that the bullet entered just aft of the shoulder, just below the spine. It penetrated ~10" of thick hide, muscle, and a lot of bone. I found the bullet just under the hide on the off side of the javalina after it had severed the spine. It mushroomed to about 1.5x original diameter and did not appear to have lost much weight in the process. Based on this performance, I am completely confident that this a legit self defense set up. It is my CCW unless I have to go with the LCR due to what I am wearing.
Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    That's good information -10" of penetration, on a densely packed varmint like that, ain't too shabby. I wouldn't count on 9mm for the feral hogs around here, but it obviously works fine with a well-placed broadside on javelinas.

Your buddy gave you a great deal. :up:
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Nice deal, great hunting story.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,315 Senior Member
    That is a nice Javalina!

Gold Dot's are my go to in .44Spl and .45ACP. Might have to look at them for the smaller bores as well.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Corvallis, OregonPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
    What a deal! Congratulations and thanks for the report on the Gold Dots. We'll try some of those through the M&P 9C.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Olsburg KansasPosts: 1,650 Senior Member
    Great info- congrats on your steal of a deal, good shooting too.
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Harrisonburg VaPosts: 666 Senior Member
    Thats a good deal on the gun. I shot a groundhog at the end of last summer with my Beretta 92 9mm from about 15 steps away as he came out from under my shed. I had to hit it 9 times before it died lol.....but for the record I was using cheapy ball ammo
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar