Home Main Category General Firearms

New Guy

LukechioLukechio New MemberPosts: 9 New Member
Hi everyone. My name is Luke, and I live in las Vegas. I'm not currently a gun owner, but I have finally convinced the wife that we should be. I Have shot all sorts of rifles and shotguns, but i would like to buy a hand gun, and eventually get my ccw. We have some friends that are avid gun collectors/ shooters. They suggested buying a gun that shoots .22lr round, because it is easy to shoot and the ammo is cheap, which would provide for lots of practice to get comfortable with the gun and it's mechanics.

My question to you folks, which gun should I get? I've seen the mesquito, the p22, and A few ruger options. my price range is under 400. Does anyone have experience with any of those? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,766 Senior Member
    Browning Buckmark. And welcome to the board.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,292 Senior Member
    Yep!...another vote for the Buckmark...the "Camper" model will not use up your budget either...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,695 Senior Member
    +3 on the Buckmark! I love mine!! Accurate and extremely reliable!!
  • Martin-AMartin-A Member Burlington, MAPosts: 111 Member
    Welcome to the Forum.

I'm also a Browning BuckMark fan. I've had one for over 18 years and it is still a solid and accurate pistol plus easy to field strip for cleaning.

Unless I am reading you incorrectly, you are new to firearms & therefore I'd recomment a new handgun rather than a "used" one as it is vital that you can tell a good deal from a bad one and that comes from experience and fellow contacts that really know firearms.

Good luck & have fun.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    In deference to our more experienced members, I'd like to mention the Ruger Mk 1 or Mk2.
    Jim
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Sovereign SCPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Airedale wrote: »
    In deference to our more experienced members, I'd like to mention the Ruger Mk 1 or Mk2.
    Jim

You ain't alone. No buckmarked guns of any kind in my home. I am the anti Browning.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Harrisonburg VaPosts: 666 Senior Member
    Lukechio wrote: »
    I've seen the mesquito, the p22, and A ruger options. Thanks

No.....No.......YES! and welcome! :)
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    I have nothing against Browning, but the cost is excessive.
    I'd just love to have an old Colt Woodsman.
    Jim
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Harrisonburg VaPosts: 666 Senior Member
    I have nothing against Browning, but the cost is excessive.
    I'd just love to have an old Colt Woodsman.
    Jim

You know...long ago when I was young and stupid....I had a Colt Woodsman Match Target that I got in a trade. It would shoot every round through the same hole. But being young and stupid....I traded it off for a police trade in Glock 17. Which I do still have today. But yeah that was a nice piece.
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "Oh, you ever seen a grown man naked?"

Ewwwwwwww, seriously ? Dude, that is soooo gross......

Ewwwwwwww, seriously ? Dude, that is soooo gross......

Ewwwwwwww, seriously ? Dude, that is soooo gross...... It really is you know.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member The Heart of DixiePosts: 1,259 Senior Member
    In deference to our more experienced members, I'd like to mention the Ruger Mk 1 or Mk2.Jim

Welcome Luke. You can't beat a Ruger Mk2.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Olsburg KansasPosts: 1,650 Senior Member
    Ruger +1 Do you like gladiator movies?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Some good advice here. But take my advice, should you decide to buy a Hi Point or a Taurus, just keep it to yourself and don't come back tellling everybody or you will get an ear full, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member KentuckyPosts: 1,707 Senior Member
    S/W model 63. SS , nice crisp trigger pull. Revolver, really easy to clean....
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Corvallis, OregonPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I vote Ruger. Welcome to the asylum.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • 30-30shooter30-30shooter Member taxachusettsPosts: 224 Member
    sarg1c wrote: »
    S/W model 63. SS , nice crisp trigger pull. Revolver, really easy to clean....
    this man speaks the truth
    A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders.-Larry Elder I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.-Clint Eastwood
  • timctimc Senior Member TexasPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Wlecome to the forum; you have chosen wiely my son!

I like the Ruger .22's myself.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,673 Senior Member
    I favor the Rugers, Welcome, so what are you drinking tonight?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member OregonPosts: 1,526 Senior Member
    noob alert!

welcome.

id look for any gun rental ranges in your neck of the desert and rent as many 22s as you can get your hands on. Then beg/borrow/steal/kidnap any from your relatives. they may even join you and enable your new hobbie.

i would agree with getting a 22 for your first toy. you can learn alot and do alot of shooting. 22 ammo is about 0.4 ish/round now, but you should be able to find better deals. also, depending on what you get, it maynot be picky in what it eats. if thats the case, then i would do alot of coupon shopping where possible. there will always be CF guns to be had later. then again, go and rent/borrow/steal anything you can get your hands on. it can be expensive to rent them, but its better to find out if it doesnt fit/feel good then instead of after you ordered or purchased one.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,078 Senior Member
    Welcome to the nuthouse!

I personally feel that first you should get some basic instruction on shooting, perhaps a handgun familiarization course. Then go to a range and rent a few different .22's.

I believe that you will be better served with something that is more full sized, ala the Ruger Mark II/III, Ruger 22/45, or Browning Buckmark. As far as which is best? I have a Mark III and it's not bad. I would have bought a Buckmark, but they are about $80 more locally. IMO go with what you like best and can be had at the best price, 22/45's go here for $275 before taxes so that was my choice.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • CAtrailriderCAtrailrider New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    I agree. Both the Buckmark and Ruger are comfortable to hold and fun to shoot. My Buckmark is one of my favorites around camp
    To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid
  • LukechioLukechio New Member Posts: 9 New Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Brownings are cheaper around here than Rugers.

My vote is Browning there, new guy.

Oh, you ever seen a grown man naked?

No need to be a troll?

1965Jeff wrote: »
    Ruger +1 Do you like gladiator movies?

Sure

snake284 wrote: »
    Some good advice here. But take my advice, should you decide to buy a Hi Point or a Taurus, just keep it to yourself and don't come back tellling everybody or you will get an ear full, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Thanks for the tip. Speaking from personal experience?

CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I favor the Rugers, Welcome, so what are you drinking tonight?

Riot cola, aka generic coke.

ilove22s wrote: »
    noob alert!

welcome.

id look for any gun rental ranges in your neck of the desert and rent as many 22s as you can get your hands on. Then beg/borrow/steal/kidnap any from your relatives. they may even join you and enable your new hobbie.

i would agree with getting a 22 for your first toy. you can learn alot and do alot of shooting. 22 ammo is about 0.4 ish/round now, but you should be able to find better deals. also, depending on what you get, it maynot be picky in what it eats. if thats the case, then i would do alot of coupon shopping where possible. there will always be CF guns to be had later. then again, go and rent/borrow/steal anything you can get your hands on. it can be expensive to rent them, but its better to find out if it doesnt fit/feel good then instead of after you ordered or purchased one.

This sounds like sound advice. Thanks

Welcome to the nuthouse!

I personally feel that first you should get some basic instruction on shooting, perhaps a handgun familiarization course. Then go to a range and rent a few different .22's.

I believe that you will be better served with something that is more full sized, ala the Ruger Mark II/III, Ruger 22/45, or Browning Buckmark. As far as which is best? I have a Mark III and it's not bad. I would have bought a Buckmark, but they are about $80 more locally. IMO go with what you like best and can be had at the best price, 22/45's go here for $275 before taxes so that was my choice.

This also sounds like a good idea. I know a few gun shops around that offer classes like that.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,292 Senior Member
    No need to be a troll?

Just part of the new guy hazing ritual...no worries... You ever watch "Airplane"?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Thanks for the tip. Speaking from personal experience?

Most definitely and the experience of others, LOL!!! High Point and Taurus have a very limited following here. I say whatever turns your crank. I don't tell people what to buy. I just tell them what I know about something. Then it's up to them. It's not my money so if you like something I don't, then it's your business what you buy. I do know that I have seen some Taurus's I would have, but never a High Point handgun I'd want to hock the farm to get, though I've heard their little carbines are nice.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.