Concealed Carry Size

BlitschBlitsch MemberPosts: 31 Member
While waiting for my Guns & Ammo subscription to begin that I ordered in January I decided to pick up another magazine (Guns & Ammo must be a popular magazine around my parts because it’s always out at my news stand) because of a Concealed Carry article. As I read through the article and I breezed through the magazine I didn’t much care for the layout of articles or the style of writing in this particular magazine. It however did bring me to a question.

In this magazine it talked about small, medium, and big concealed carry weapons and how one might conceal them. Although it gave examples of brands and calibers of each size it never talked about actual size. I can see the small size being your snub nose and pocket pistols but where do you draw the line for medium to large? I recently bought a Springfield XD with a 4” barrel that I intended to carry with a Crossbreed Super Tuck that I just ordered. I typically ware blue jeans and a tucked in button up dress shirt, so did I make a mistake in my choice of concealed carry pistol? And is there a standard between medium and large pistols? I really didn’t want to go with a subcompact pistol.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    How well you can conceal a particular firearm depends more on you than your firearm...for instance, I can conceal a full-size 1911 without difficulty, my cousin (who is skinny as a rail) has not hope of concealing anything larger than a sub-compact 1911... I carried a 4"XD for quite awhile without any issue at all...Your Mileage May Vary...also, slightly altering the way you dress can enable you to conceal pretty much anything...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Perception and mindset has much to do with it too, for Me, the difference between a full size 1911 Government model and an Officers model is not that noticeable.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Big or small you can conceal anything with the right clothing. The challange is to conceal in smaller clothing, like here in South Florida in a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I would not have a problem then, you could not get Me into clothes like that, maybe if I was dead, perhaps.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    You'll be amazed at how well the Supertuck conceals. Don't forget a sturdy belt for support.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Strictly my opinion but

Small: LCP, .38 and the like
    Med: Springfield XD, Glock compact (like the G23), Kahr K and P models
    Borderline: full size 1911
    Large: 357 mag and up, Beretta 92, Desert Eagle

The reason I give the full size 1911 a "border line" is because IMO it's kind of large BUT it's also very slim so...
  • BlitschBlitsch Member Posts: 31 Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Big or small you can conceal anything with the right clothing. The challange is to conceal in smaller clothing, like here in South Florida in a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops.

D

Yes this would be difficult... The only real reason I ask is my wife is uncomfortable with the fact I want to carry, although after some discussion she understands my reasoning, she is just affraid someone will see it and make a fuss. I just want to make sure I'm carrying with the least amount of printing so she feels comfortable knowing it's not seen.
    "Yes this would be difficult... The only real reason I ask is my wife is uncomfortable with the fact I want to carry, although after some discussion she understands my reasoning, she is just affraid someone will see it and make a fuss. I just want to make sure I'm carrying with the least amount of printing so she feels comfortable knowing it's not seen."

Oh boy..... that is the real problem,

"she is just affraid someone will see it and make a fuss."

That is only an excuse to not carry, not a fact..... you can never win that way.
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    Some days I might carry a full size SA 1911A1 or a Kel-Tec PF9 or a CA .38 snubbie, and always my pocket pistol concealed. Sometimes I wear a vest, I don't care if it makes me the gun guy, or a open shirt untucked. Today I tried a my Maverick super tuck again and it worked out ok. I didn't like it when I first got it, but today I positioned it more towards the front and it worked well with my t-shirt tucked in my pants.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,672 Senior Member
    You'll be amazed at how well the Supertuck conceals. Don't forget a sturdy belt for support.
    cpj wrote: »
    What he said.^

Crossbreed makes the most comfortable, most concealable holsters out there. IMHO.

Toting a full size gun is no big deal once you get used to it.
    :that:
    Yep a full sized 1911 is a quite comfortable IWB to me in my copy of a super tuck
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

There was a mention about a sturdy belt? Does any belt work or do you need a special gun belt like the Crossbreed sells? I've got a good 1.5" leather belt but am wondering what qualification do you look for in your belts and how do you know when buying one if it will be good or not?

Side note got home last night and went to get the mail... Yesss got my first mailed copy of Guns & Ammo... Wait what's this a second issue... "WINNING"... Thanks for the March and April issues now I've got lots to read and learn.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    Blitsch wrote: »
    There was a mention about a sturdy belt? Does any belt work or do you need a special gun belt like the Crossbreed sells? I've got a good 1.5" leather belt but am wondering what qualification do you look for in your belts and how do you know when buying one if it will be good or not?

Not necessarily a 'special' belt, just one that's good and strong, which will last more than a few months' time. I can't speak to any specific manufacturers; I bought my CC belt at the Puyallup Fair - the leather guy made it right there in front of me 5 years ago and it's still going strong.
    BTW, I've concealed a 6" Dan Wesson .357mag revolver OWB effectively (indoors - no long coat). As others have said, it's a matter of how you dress.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    The Crossbreed belt works great but there are a lot of options out there. Lots of people have found good, sturdy belts at regular stores.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Very true great sage of holster & belt wisdom !!! :jester:
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    I like the Crossbreed belt as much as I like their holsters. I'm wearing both now. I like a belt that feels like a barrel hoop and keeps my gear exactly where it should be.
  • CurtCurt New Member Posts: 5 New Member
    I've got a duffel bag full of holsters from trying different things to carry my Glock .40s. There are a lot more options out there now that back then. I've found that finding the right "system" of gun, holster, and garment is a trial- and- error exercise that changes depending on the weather, and surroundings. It takes planning and forethought, but once you find a system that works it will be so comfortable that you may forget you are carrying - never get complacent about it though.
    You can save yourself much trial & error, and money by going to a holster maker right from the start, and there you can try various holster and belt combinations.

A LE uniform / equipment store is another great place to try various holsters.

There have always been lots of holster options since the 1920's , you had to know where to look though.
    Thansk everyone for the great information I really appreciate it.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    A good belt is critical to comfortable carry...nowadays, I buy a purpose built gun belt ..my favorites are from Ross Leather...double thickness, well-stitched, solid brass harware and around $60.00....no sagging or folding over....pricey yes, but you only have to buy them once....

I've been building my own holster now for awhile...I just finished my version of the Galco Combat Master....stupidly comfortable for an OWB holster and I hid my Commander under a heavy T-shirt today...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I don't think there is an actual "size standard" and really it doesn't matter. Whatever works best for you.

I think that part of the situation is the thickness of the pistol, not just its length and height. For example, a 1911 is fairly slim despite its being a full size gun.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx